What to expect when boat arrives?

Wimps.  You can mow at night or on rainy days.

I posted this a while back with a LOT of help from other forum members. I basically just gathered the comments and put them all together in one list...

Before you leave to pick up the boat:
Call insurance company back to verify your coverage is "in the system".
Verify hitch ball size with dealer. Likely 2" ball.
Ask dealer about motor break-in period and warm-up period.
Find out your state's boat registration grace period
Verify price was as quoted and includes freight, prep, battery, prop, etc “ready to run”, plus tax/title/reg.

Things to bring with you:
Electrical adapter (truck to trailer)
Tongue Lock (may not be necessary)
Hitch Lock (may not be necessary)
Tie Downs
Tie Downs (Yes, I know that's listed twice. Don't even THINK about moving the boat without making sure it's tied well to the trailer.)
A car GPS or iPhone or Android app to GPS speed test.
Side view mirror extensions, if you need them.

Things to check while at the dealership:
Hull ID # -
Check that you have the right boat if the dealer told you what the hull ID was in advance.
Trailer Serial Number
Motor Serial Number and Manufacture Date

Boat Inspection:

OPTIONS/UPGRADES:
Bring your option list (from Build a Boat) and use it to check that all options ordered are on the boat.

BOAT : Check above options, check for defects, check railings for sharp edges, check pontoon tubes for slag, look for metal drill filings, open/close all storage areas, changing room, open/close all gates, check captain seat adjustments, tilt steering, electrical circuits and switches, stereo/speakers, raise/lower bimini, check LEDs, bow lights, mast light, horn, spare keys, 12 V socket. Check all electrical items and anything that moves.

TRAILER: Make sure turn signals and brake lights work, test surge brakes, verify bunks and guides tight, all bolts tight, carpet/glides secure and complete, wiring attached securely

MOTOR: Size/model correct, check manufacture date, prop correct size/pitch/brand

TEST RIDE: Verify depth graph works, power trim/tilt, check steering (full left, full right, smooth operation), verify top speed was what the dealer told you, check anything else used while boat is in motion, check all electrical items. Check for vibrations.

PAPERS: Make sure you leave with all documents and manuals, including those for the motor and trailer.

TOWING HOME - If you tow it without the cover on, make sure all removable items are removed so they don't blow out on the road. This includes the table and any seat cushions that come off. USE YOUR TIE-DOWNS!

Another list I posted some time ago...  Sorry for the length.  Hopefully they help someone.

[SIZE=12pt]Pre-Season Checklist:[/SIZE]

• [SIZE=12pt]Registration stickers (odd years)[/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=12pt]Registration papers in boat[/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=12pt]Trailer Registration in boat[/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=12pt]Tire pressure[/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=12pt]Polish pontoons[/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=12pt]Wax fence[/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=12pt]303 vinyl[/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=12pt]Vacuum[/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=12pt]Battery Install[/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=12pt]Lube cover snaps[/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=12pt]Start engine (muffs)[/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=12pt]Grease steering (motor) and 2 zerks[/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=12pt]Grease prop splines[/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=12pt]Check wheel bearing grease[/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=12pt]Inspect bunk carpet[/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=12pt]Other motor maint? Plugs, impeller, etc.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=12pt]Trailering Checklist – Trailer, Vehicle and Boat[/SIZE]

• [SIZE=12pt]Attach mirror extensions on truck[/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=12pt]Install hitch and cotter pin[/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=12pt]Install light plug[/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=12pt]Attach trailer[/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=12pt]Close ball latch[/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=12pt]Check that ball is clamped in correctly[/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=12pt]Insert safety pin[/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=12pt]Attach safety chains to vehicle[/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=12pt]Attach emergency brake cable to vehicle[/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=12pt]Connect lights to vehicle[/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=12pt]Winch locked and tight[/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=12pt]Install front tie-down or safety chain[/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=12pt]Crank down trailer[/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=12pt]Put tongue wheel up and lock[/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=12pt]Check lights working[/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=12pt]Check tire pressure[/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=12pt]Check wheel bearings[/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=12pt]Motor down and straight[/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=12pt]Install rear tie-downs[/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=12pt]Ladder up and locked[/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=12pt]Bimini in radar position and struts locked[/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=12pt]Cover snaps secure. If not covering, remove all loose items from boat[/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=12pt]Remove wheel chocks[/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=12pt]All 3 gates shut and locked[/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=12pt]Fenders/bumpers stowed[/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=12pt]Test trailer brakes when pulling out[/SIZE]
[SIZE=12pt]Heading Out on Lake – Safety Items:[/SIZE]

• [SIZE=12pt]Life vests – Tell passengers where they are.[/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=12pt]Kids – Vests on. Check for tightness now, might forget before they jump in.[/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=12pt]Sunblock[/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=12pt]Everyone in the boat? Seated?[/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=12pt]Count passengers[/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=12pt]Remove keys from ignition when stopped[/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=12pt]Motor trimmed down when off, turn prop away from ladder[/SIZE]
[SIZE=12pt]Heading Out on Lake - Starting Motor:[/SIZE]

• [SIZE=12pt]Swimmers in boat[/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=12pt]Propeller Clear[/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=12pt]Ladder Up[/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=12pt]Secure or stow loose items[/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=12pt]Start motor, check motor cooling stream running[/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=12pt]Motor Won’t Start – Neutral? Safety Lanyard?[/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=12pt]Take in Bumpers/Fenders after leaving dock[/SIZE]
[SIZE=12pt]Coming in from Lake - Docking:[/SIZE]

• [SIZE=12pt]Bumpers out[/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=12pt]Lines ready[/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=12pt]Boat hook ready[/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=12pt]Remind passengers to stay seated[/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=12pt]Give assignments if needed[/SIZE]
[SIZE=12pt]Post Docking List:[/SIZE]

• [SIZE=12pt]Motor Down (don’t hit back of garage)[/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=12pt]Ladder Up[/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=12pt]Bimini Lowered (don’t hit garage door)[/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=12pt]Dash Switches Off[/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=12pt]Key Off[/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=12pt]Dock Lines Tight[/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=12pt]Cover on if needed.[/SIZE]

Good information,not all applicable to me, but I am saving it.

Thanks 

Good point.  I should have stated not all of this is applicable to everyone.  For example, some like to trailer with the motor up and supported by transom savers.  Use your best judgement.

I just meant we dont have a trailer .

Hey Come Monday,

We'll take delivery tomorrow. When we saw it Saturday, it was rigged and assembled. It was scheduled to be cleaned and detailed today. We have seen the checklist and that will be part of the delivery and lake trials tomorrow.

Good luck,

Marc

Kaydano,

As a newbie thank you for the invaluable information

I will be printing and keeping in the boat.

"Be a sponge and absorb all that is given to you freely"

True words of wisdom  :)

Thank you 

75219848.jpg

Hey Kaydano, thanks for the great list!

The check list from Bennington is pretty thorough, and the other checklists above are very thorough. You don't say what motor you're buying, but if you're getting a 150 hp or more you'll want the factory stainless steel prop. Do ask your dealer if he'll change propellers if needed to get the boat to its best performance. After the engine's broken in, you want to pull the published redline--no more, no less--moderately loaded.

My dealer put a M14 Yamaha stainless prop on my F150 Yamaha, and it was hitting the rev limiter and a couple of mph slow. I asked to change to a Reliance 15 pitch prop and it was perfect.

In retrospect: My dealer only put 5 gallons of fuel, and anyone spending this type of money should at least get a full tank of fuel included. Then, I found it distasteful when the dealer tried to sell me expensive ropes, life preservers and Yamaha Ring Free Plus. (I was carrying my own ropes and life preservers.) I received a tiny fuel extinguisher without any gauge and I later installed a more substantial one. And my dealer installed a no name trolling motor battery, where I would have preferred to have a brand name high quality battery with a warranty. Hope these are things to look for.

My dealer has a reference chart ,not sure who provides it with a "recommendation " on what prop to use with each hull and motor configuration.

They then take it our before delivery for a water test . If it does not provide the desired results, they continue to change props until it does .

My dealer has a reference chart ,not sure who provides it with a "recommendation " on what prop to use with each hull and motor configuration.

They then take it our before delivery for a water test . If it does not provide the desired results, they continue to change props until it does .
Yep, that's the correct way to fit a prop to boat/engine combination.  The guide is only a start, but how much testing is really done depends on the dealer. 

Example:  I'm about to try the third prop since taking delivery.  However, the dealer did fill the large fuel tank and the tech said it took exactly 60 gallons of gasoline to fill it.

Last edited by a moderator:
60 gallons, WOW!
Yep, that's what he told me.  IIRC the large center tube fuel tank in the Bennington new build configurator states 54 gallons capacity.  My previous 2013 South Bay 522 CRTT had the large center tube tank of 50 plus gallons also but the dealer delivered that boat with only put 5 gallons of fuel, not enough to lift the needle off empty mark.  I agree with you that a new boat should be delivered with a full tank of fuel.

Last edited by a moderator:
Mine was delivered with a full tank of fuel, 4 8" fenders, 150 ft of rope and anchor, 10 life jackets, and a little over an hour on the motor.

Boat came in yesterday and WOW what a beauty! They're rigging today and detailing tomorrow. Only thing that was disappointing was the seats in the rear at the bar weren't with the boat. It's a 2350 RBR. My dealer called to see why and apparently they simply do not have them. No call - no show! I fired an employee for that recently...

My dealer said they're on order and they will bring them to the marina and install them, best case scenerio next week, but certainly the week after. I trust him but what do you guys think of this? Beggars can't be choosers I suppose but what a lack of communication on Benningtons behalf, huh?

Perhaps the seat supplier was out when Bennington placed the order ?

Some one has the answer ,and I agree ,you should have notified sooner .

I could see if a pontoon was missing, but a couple of stools is no big deal, you'll get them. I also think Bennington is suffering from growing pains.

Back