Who Do You Use For Your Boat Insurance?

Tooncrazy

Reaction score
I take delivery of my 2015 2275 GCW in a few weeks so it's time to start thinking about insurance. Who can you recommend for boat insurance in today's market? Any special coverage I should be aware of?

Thank you.

Last edited by a moderator:
There's a few great threads on this you might want to dig up. I'm with BoatUS which seems to be pretty popular around here. 

Second Boat US

I use Progressive. I hit a stump this past summer with my last boat...they totaled it out in a very timely manner. My coverage was for full replacement cost, which they paid. Everything went great. I insured my new boat the same.

Progressive.  They have spill coverage, towing coverage and we have stated cash value replacement.  Only down side is when a claim happens, you have all the contact with Progressive.  It's not bad but I like calling my agent and let him handle it.  I buy the coverage from my local independent agent but he can not handle a claim for me. 

BOAT US

Progressive for old bowrider and now for pontoon.

State Farm, our new Benny was $123 where Progressive and Geico was $190 for same coverage.

Boat US

We have had this conversation before but I see mjlawson's price of $123 and I paid BoatUS $304.  Wonder if I should revisit this

My progressive was only $113 this year but I don't have a trailer to insure (use my neighbors when I need one) and have a smaller motor than most of you. My deductible is zero since I have been with them for a while. I did check spill coverage after this discussion last year (don't remember the exact amount though it was less than boat us - I think 500,000)

Last edited by a moderator:
$500k is more than enough...

Price shopped and went with Progressive: $237/yr

($300k/$300k/$5k, comprehensive & collision total loss replacement stated value, trailer, marine electronics, fishing equip, sign n glide, personal effects loss, Propulsion Plus)

(But check out the Boat U.S. discount if taking some "class"/boat safety or something. Don't know details and missed this when shopping but I think someone on this forum got the premium dropped because of it. Had I known that was available I MAY have chosen Boat U.S.)

Back