Yamaha 150 or 175 for my new boat

jmkjoe

Reaction score
I am buying a 2014 2250gbr. Max hp rating is 150. The dealer said he might be able so sneak a 175 on it. I'm just wondering if anyone has any experience between the two. Is it worth the extra grand for the 175 or is the extra 25 horse not noticeable? I'm just having a hard time going from a 320 horse open bow to a pontoon boat with a 150. Any feedback would be helpful.

If your GBR is maxed at 150, I might be more concerned about your pontoon configuration. What are you planning on for that? If you're doing SPS, Ellipticals or ESP, you should be able to go up at least to a 200 which would be well worth it. A lot of folks seem to be getting great speed with the 150 on S-series boats, but the G is a heavier machine. Whether 150, 175 or 200, I'd say definitely go with SPS, Ellipticals or ESP if you are worried about it performing as well as your old boat. 

Last edited by a moderator:
It is a express tritoon. I know the max is 150 but the dealer says they can sneek a 175 on it. I'm just wondering if there is any noticeable difference in performance between the 150 and 175.

You will likely get a few mph more with the 175. However, if you are unhappy with the 150, you will then definitely regret it since you have the option. Go as big as you can afford. However, I think it is a big deal if your motor exceeds your tag. So you would need bennington to change the tag or remove the sticker from the motor cover. I have seen some bass fishermen do this as a protest against not being sponsored.

By the way, the gbr is definitely a heavy boat. I have the rbr and I am several mph less than the performance bulletins for my motor (225 sho) on similar boats with the same length. I think it is the weight of the bars.

And if the dealer is going to intentionally power your boat over the USCG capacity plate by sneaking it in...you should (in my opinion) absolutely find a new dealer, and never go back.

Now that I got that tidbit out of the way...please consider SPS and 200. Great setup. See my signature for details.

And if the dealer is going to intentionally power your boat over the USCG capacity plate by sneaking it in...you should (in my opinion) absolutely find a new dealer, and never go back.
I totally agree. And....................if you get caught..................

I totally agree. And....................if you get caught..................
Not to mention probably voiding your structural warranty, and God forbid you have an accident with death or injury .... This is just asking for trouble ..... A lawyers dream come true.

My 2014 2250GBR weighs in at a hefty 4,180 pounds plus fuel, water and gear. Figure 4,500 pounds on the water for a day plus people. You have been sufficiently coached on the lack of wisdom of your dealer for suggesting overpowering your boat beyond USCG capacity. So enough of that. Now useful info.

Without a windscreen to deflect air, running 50mph for extended periods would be very uncomfortable. My boat winds up to 41.5mph. I know this, because I tried it. Once. Have no need to do it a second time. Unless I am outrunning a storm, I think it may never happen again. Boat does great. Smooth ride. Comfortable. Stable. Impressive. Predictable. But I am the guy who just doesn't care, so I don't need that.

The boat won't "perform" in most ways that you would compare to a 23foot Fundeck or similar. I have a friend with a Fundeck with the 320 Mag 5.7. That boat is faster, turns tighter, makes more noise, has less space, pounds more, weighs about as much, burns twice the fuel, requires more maintenance and doesn't have a bar.

I won't own anything anymore that doesn't have a bar.

What I want to write is simple and well known. Every boat is a compromise. Your couple of posts leads me to write again, you probably will have regret with an xpress third tube and a 150. Research the SPS. And if you want any specific questions answered, I will watch this thread and answer, or PM me. Good luck on your search!!! It's an awesome boat.

Well said JeffS. I would like to see that car with a bar though as I do think I would like one as well. Hold on guys, not while driving but would save me from walking into the house for a cold one while mowing the lawn

We have a 2014 2250 GBR with a 150 and SPS.  We just got it a few weeks ago and it's back getting serviced right now because of a hydraulic steering leak.  With the GBR, there is plenty of weight towards the back of the boat.  With the express tube, those boats already seem to ride low in the back anyway.  I love our configuration for the bang for the buck.  In any event, last week, we had it up to 36 mph GPS for a bit with the bimini up.  We haven't tubed or skied yet; that comes next season so I can't say how it will perform then.

Edit: 36 mph was with full tank and 2 people, 2 dogs.

I'd like to hear more about your steering leak....I just noticed mine was leaking over the weekend. Please PM me the details.

My bad. Should be good now!

We have a 2014 2250 GBR with a 150 and SPS.  We just got it a few weeks ago and it's back getting serviced right now because of a hydraulic steering leak.  With the GBR, there is plenty of weight towards the back of the boat.  With the express tube, those boats already seem to ride low in the back anyway.  I love our configuration for the bang for the buck.  In any event, last week, we had it up to 36 mph GPS for a bit with the bimini up.  We haven't tubed or skied yet; that comes next season so I can't say how it will perform then.

Edit: 36 mph was with full tank and 2 people, 2 dogs.
that is kind of the answer I've been looking for, thanks.  Do you know if your SPS is the .80 gauge tunes or the .100 ?  My deal is this, Im trying to find a 2014 closeout and have 2 within 100 miles of me.  Both are GBR 2250's and one has the express tube package and the other is the SPS but only rated for a 150 ( so it must be the .80 tunes ).  I know that the SPS is heavier by about 700lbs. But the SPS boat is cheaper by about 3 grand, yes it has a few less options one is the $1500 fridge which I can live without.  I took a test ride on a 24ssx with the express tube package and it seemed to have enough power with the yamaha 150 on it but my guess is that boat is probably every bit of 1200lbs less than a 2250 GBR with the side bar and SPS package.  Just wondering if anyone out there has experience on how weight really sucks the power out of a 150, or do they have a lot of torque to muscle through the added weight.  I know top end will drop off with the extra weight, just wondering if a 2250 GBR with a 150 loaded with people will pull a tuber or skier.  

As far as I know, SPS is rated to 200hp. There is no option that I heard of between an 80g and 100g SPS package. And no SPS option that maxed out at 150. I could be wrong though.

I think the best answer that anyone can provide at this point is that you need to test the boat. Have the dealer put it on the water, take your crew and your tubes, and see for yourself if it will do what you want it to do.

Weight matters a whole lot. Deciding if you'll be happy with what a 150 will do - that's not something that can be known for sure until you know it yourself for sure. And the only way to get there is to test the boat.

-Jeff

There are two sps packages when I ordered mine. The 200 came with the thicker toons.

Andy and I have the same boat. His is 2 years newer. I have the 150 and Express. He has SPS and 200. I get 41 mph easily. Have seen 42 on the GPS a few times. Andy's will do 43. So, I would say the added weight makes a difference.

But, I'd buy his setup in a heartbeat because of how his boat handles compared to mine. He posted a video of it banking in turns. Mine don't do that.

So, consider handling, not just speed.

I might be way off here since I haven't been on for a while and done any further research on this type of topic, but is this a case where bennington adds the mega pod and can increase hp but take away seating capacity.

For example, my 2011 RCW with twin elips was rated for max hp of 150hp and 13 people.  Buiild a boat now lets the HP raiting be 200hp but 12 person capacity.  When I talked to Benningoton on this, they change out hte transom pad for  a more beefier unit to increase the HP and drop down on the carrying capacity by 1 person.  Again, I may be way off on your circumstance, but that is how Bennington told me I could increase my HP on my current boat without buying  a whole new boat

Todd

Back