Yamaha Control hitting cupholder rim?

Bluetoo

Reaction score
Has anyone else had an issue with their Yamaha "remote control" lever hitting on the cupholder rim and stopping the forward motion of the control lever before the engine reaches WOT or full power? My 2014 Express Tube 2250 GSR with a Yamaha 150 only maxes at 5400 RPM as the control lever gets stopped by hitting the cup holder rim before reaching WOT.

I can not imagine Yamaha or Bennington designing it this way and I am getting some resistance by my dealer to do anything about it.

Thanks,

Bluetoo

remove your cup holder and make sure you really are not already at WOT.  If it is truly holding it back, then your dealer must absolutely do something about it.  If not, you could always modify it but you should not have to take on that burden.

If your throttle acts the same and you really are at WOT, then you have to change your prop most likely.

5400 sounds about right, there could  be an adjustment too the dealer can do. Also ask the dealer about prop pitch and why a certain prop was selected.

All will be well, sometimes just a little validation and education is all that's needed

Bluetoo, I am not the resident expert but I think 5400 may be a little low.  Please post how many people were on the boat when you were at 5400rpm at wot.  Also look at your prop and post the stats on it and one of our Bennington family can give you the proper advice

Your controls should not hit the cupholder, period.

Can we see a picture of this? I know the throttle will hit a drink in the cupholder on some models, but have not heard of it hitting the cupholder itself.

I would guess there's a cable adjustment back at the motor end.  Every control cable I've ever used (mower, snowblower, car emergency brake, bike brakes, trekkie brake, tailgate bus brakes, etc) has an adjustment.  Cables stretch and need adjusting....  Nature of the beast.

I would guess there's a cable adjustment back at the motor end.  Every control cable I've ever used (mower, snowblower, car emergency brake, bike brakes, trekkie brake, tailgate bus brakes, etc) has an adjustment.  Cables stretch and need adjusting....  Nature of the beast.
Not if you have Mercury digital controls :)   Not sure if his Yamaha set up has it or not.

I thought that was for throttle tension?

My thought is you tighten it up and it has less play.

5400 is a good WOT number. From there, trim up and get an extra 200 or so revs with a n extra mph or two. RPM on an outboard is a delicate combination of throttle and trim. Max rpm on my 200 is 6000. I have never taken it there. I don't like the word "max".

5400 is a good WOT number. From there, trim up and get an extra 200 or so revs with a n extra mph or two. RPM on an outboard is a delicate combination of throttle and trim. Max rpm on my 200 is 6000. I have never taken it there. I don't like the word "max".
I understand what you are saying, but these engines are made to run at those rpm's and more actually.  If WOT is supposed to be 6000, I would not be happy at all with 5400 or 5600 trimmed up.

I believe the original issue is the lever hitting the cupholder. It needs to be adjusted and should be taken care of by his dealer. Then..........worry about all the other stuff.

I understand what you are saying, but these engines are made to run at those rpm's and more actually.  If WOT is supposed to be 6000, I would not be happy at all with 5400 or 5600 trimmed up.
In my opinion...you are 1/2 right. Spec WOT, as I understand it, is a range not a number. On my 200,spec is 5400-6000 as far as I have read. So as long as I am propped in there somewhere, my setup is proper relative to mfr spec.

If the throttle control hits the cupbolder amd the engine is spinning 5400, then that's the exact same as my boat and I don't think it is setup wrong. But that's just one guy's opinion.

I can trim up higher and get 5500-5600, but speed goes down so I feel that's over trimming.not blowing out...just losing efficiency.

I don't know if there is anything wrong. That's my only point. Sounds right to me...but as I have said before I am just one guy and don't know much. :)

In my opinion...you are 1/2 right. Spec WOT, as I understand it, is a range not a number. On my 200,spec is 5400-6000 as far as I have read. So as long as I am propped in there somewhere, my setup is proper relative to mfr spec.

If the throttle control hits the cupbolder amd the engine is spinning 5400, then that's the exact same as my boat and I don't think it is setup wrong. But that's just one guy's opinion.

I can trim up higher and get 5500-5600, but speed goes down so I feel that's over trimming.not blowing out...just losing efficiency.

I don't know if there is anything wrong. That's my only point. Sounds right to me...but as I have said before I am just one guy and don't know much. :)
I think the main issue is if the cup holder is holding the throttle up and not allowing for top end of the engine, then that is a big problem that needs corrected even if it is in range.  I guess if I was on the lower end of the rpm range but with a heavy load, then that would be ok.  Definitely not with a light load though, lugging these engines is worse than running near top of rpm range.

Back