Yamaha Digital Electronic Control

AndrewG

Reaction score
Hi all,

I've been a pontoon owner for a few years now, and am in the process of picking up a new Q series 2575.  This will have the ESP package as well.  I am trying to decide on the engine (aren't we all!!).  For price, and not to break the bank, I think I am going with the 200HP engine. It is another $5,000 to go the 250HP.

My question is the real world difference between the Yamaha F200XB and F200XC.  I realize that the XC is the Digital Electronic Control (DEC) version.  I have searched far and wide, and I can't seem to find anyone discussing their experiences with the DEC engine.  Is it worth it?  Is it that much better?  Overdoing it on a pontoon?  It looks like about $1,200 more for the DEC, plus the gauge cost.

I'm anxious to hear people's experiences.

Thanks,

Andrew

Boating in Paso Robles, CA

Put the 250 on it and forget about the digital if it's a tossup between the two. IMHO

CWag, the voice of common sense

Andrew,

I agree with Carl, you may want to consider the jump to the 250 to see if you can fit that into your budget, even if it is non-digital.

For comparison, we have a 2575RCWCP ESP that isn't a tower but is loaded down with quite a few options (likely close in weight to the Q you are looking at, depending on how you option it and assuming you aren't doing the .125 logs or a tower...). We have a 250 SHO that runs 42 mph pretty easily unless we have like 7 or more adults on it and it maxes out at about 44 mph with 1/4 tank fuel, 2 adults, and pretty much perfect conditions. If that were a 200, I think it would be ~ 4-5 mph less top speed. Granted, that doesn't sound like much but you may be looking at upper 30s instead of low to mid 40s and also, if you load it down, I think the 250 would retain your speed and performance better.

Not that the 200 is a bad or too small of a motor. Many folks run 150s and are perfectly happy with those too. Just depends on what your priorities, needs, and expected use of this new boat will be. Heck, there is the rare occasion I wish we could do about 50 mph top speed but wouldn't want to give up the capacity, money, etc. to do the 350 V8 which is what that would take so feel we got the best overall motor for our use and for our boat.

You can also find various performance bulletins on the Yamaha Outboards website with various motor / Bennington model configurations to give you an idea of how each will run. And you can also look for similar builds in the List Your Specs topic:

http://club.benningtonmarine.com/index.php?/topic/755-list-your-specs-here/

If you do decide to stick with the 200, I think the quieter shifting and additional gauge info would be nice (although our mechanical shifter isn't bad at all but it is obviously mechanical, even with the Yamaha SW Series II SDS prop), but would that make the DEC worth the extra cost? Without having DEC, I've been told that the digital shifter can be overly responsive without the tactile feedback of the cable but would think that the tension adjustment on the shift lever could possibly help that. Sorry I didn't answer your question but hopefully someone with a Yamaha DEC motor will chime in with their thoughts.

Have fun with the new purchase and hope your buying experience was as enjoyable as ours!

Personally. And this is just me... I'd go down in series to gain "wiggle room" for cash. Q's are nice. However I'd take an R or a G with a larger power plant, over a Q.

Not sure this will be of much help but my new Benny has the F350 V8 with the Yamaha digital gauges and shifter.  It was specifically ordered this way.  The sensors and gauges seem to be very sensitive and accurate.  Going through the different modes with the engine running and changing RPM's is instantly reflected on the gauges.  There's no lag time whatsoever.  For example, you can see in an instant how the RPM's and trim affect fuel economy.  The backlighting adjustment makes it easy to set the brightness to your liking and the soft orange color is nice on the eyes.  The throttle adjustment is smooth as glass.  There's absolutely no clunk or surge or anything when shifting in and out of gear.  It's so quiet I sometimes have to visibly check it's in gear.  The gauges and throttle talk to the motor effortlessly without a hiccup.  Very happy with the set-up.  My buddy has a very nice 25' Excursion pontoon with the Yamaha SHO 225.  He doesn't have the Yamaha gauges and I don't think his throttle is Yamaha.  I have driven his boat and it runs very good but I do prefer the integrated Yamaha gauges and throttle.

Ditto to what Havasu said.  I've got the 300XCA and really like the controls.  The gauges are not elegant (I like the analog R/Q gauges), but I really like the information they provide.  Shifting is very smooth.  No grind/clunk, etc that I could get if shifting snow with my old F115.  I'd like to add the NMEA2000 network to my Garmin for additional engine information, but that is another 4-500 bucks that I don't see the value in.

BTW, the reason I have the digital controls is because I wanted the biggest motor I could get on the boat it the 300 only comes with digital controls.

Aren't you happy you asked?? LOL

Back