Zero turn mower

The engine is running at full speed for the blade speed.  A Dixie Chopper has the fastest blade speed so it can handle thick grass well.  you adjust your over the ground speed for conditions.  Is the engine powerful to handle the height/wetness of the grass (doesn't bog down).  Our speed is limited to the smoothness of the lawn.  Zero turns have a very short wheelbase and they will bounce to the point of rattling your kidneys on rough ground. 

A standard with a sulkie (sp) is another option.

Frankly, I am better, faster and less sore standing.....hustler makes a great 48 at 1/2 the price of sit zero

I have a J Deere. 25hp 43" cut and love it, no zero turn but my lawn isn't cut up either

I am not saying John Deere is the best, however it will return the highest percentage of your investment.

If you run it until the wheels fall off, that won't be a factor.

That said I have had a Snapper for over 10 years with only oil changes & blade sharpening. I went Snapper for the single joystick control.

My wife's Birthday was in May .This is what I got her to cut our lot . :lol:

sc21-mainImage-1lg.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I remember those as a kid.

I still have 2 of those right now at the lake house and used one last week. We don't have a real lawn and only have to cut a bit once or twice a season. Usually only use a string trimmer.

Just posted my propane Snapper.  Love it.

Looks good Gerry! How much does it cost to fill those cylinders?

Also.............what's up w/those Reds?!?

Hi Daril.  We get $24 for one of those tanks.  They are 33 1/2# lift truck cyl., except they draw vapor. They last about 6 hrs or so of mowing for us.  Heading down to the game tonight.  Reds play the Cubs.  Came back from 5-0 down last night.  Within 3 1/2 of the Brewers now, down from 8 games just early last week. Defense is excellent, starting pitching is also, but many games our offense goes south.  Votto just went on the DL so we'll see.  Billy Hamilton is fun to watch. :)    Hope the second half turns around.  Been to any Nats games ?    Gerry

I have a Dixon who actually was the first to build zero turns, it has been a solid rig bought it used and have had it for about 7 years, 42 inch mowing 2 acres of trees.  A lot of my friends have and love the Grasshopper brand which is in the same quality and size catagory as the exmark mowers. There are a lot of zero turn lawn tractors on the market now, they look like a lawn tractor but turn like a zero turn mover, Cub Cadet was the first for these i think.

Hi Daril.  We get $24 for one of those tanks.  They are 33 1/2# lift truck cyl., except they draw vapor. They last about 6 hrs or so of mowing for us.  Heading down to the game tonight.  Reds play the Cubs.  Came back from 5-0 down last night.  Within 3 1/2 of the Brewers now, down from 8 games just early last week. Defense is excellent, starting pitching is also, but many games our offense goes south.  Votto just went on the DL so we'll see.  Billy Hamilton is fun to watch. :)    Hope the second half turns around.  Been to any Nats games ?    Gerry
Yes Gerry........been to a few games. My son just sang the National Anthem at the July 1st game against Colorado at Nationals Park. It was a great experience for him as well as the rest of the family. (It's on YouTube, DJ Godinez, National Anthem at Nationals Park) The Nationals are either hot or not. They're a half game behind Atlanta in 2nd......

Hey All,

Thanks for all the continued input and I look forward to all the info. Jack, I used one of those as a kid to earn my allowance!!!!! I like the propane power that you have you have Gerry. We have a local Gravely dealer that has a great reputation and good pricing. I am going to the big city this weekend to look at more brands. There are Skag, Grasshopper, Hustler, Snapper, Bad Dog ect and there is a Big Dog dealer an hour or so away and their warranty is 7 years. May go look at those too.

Look forward to more info.

Later,

Marc

Yes Gerry........been to a few games. My son just sang the National Anthem at the July 1st game against Colorado at Nationals Park. It was a great experience for him as well as the rest of the family. (It's on YouTube, DJ Godinez, National Anthem at Nationals Park) The Nationals are either hot or not. They're a half game behind Atlanta in 2nd......
Just looked that up.  Wonderful !  You should be quite proud !  He sang it like it should be sung.  An anthem  to honor our great country and not a platform for the singer.  Gerry

Thanks Gerry! We are proud of him! He is a high school choir director. Next year he wants to take one of his choirs down there to audition. That would be a thrill for them if they made it..........

Kubota Diesel

Hey Bama Kat,

Nice looking mower but way more than I need. I have 3 acres and only mow about 1 or so now. Will end up mowing about 2 plus after a year or so.

thanks for the input,

Marc

Best O the best right there in machines, I have a Kubota tractor and frequent the Kubota forum OTT "Orange tractor talks". :p

I  worked for a tractor manufacturer for 38 years.  Some of my dealers were selling 600 hp four wheel drive tractors as big as houses--some of which were pulling 80' computerized planters.

Many of my dealers consider Kubotas as light weight, toy tractors.  They were not impressed with the high incidence of engine problems (head gaskets), and the general light weight of the parts.  They really didn't have time to sell 20 compact tractors when they could sell just one large conventional 240 tractor for the same amount of sales.

There's just no replacement for a quality 40-50 hp tractor that weighs 5,500 lbs. and that's constructed of cast iron.  Most of the compact tractors top out at 2,800 lbs. and it's a good thing that they're just not worked so hard.

When it comes to zero turn mowers, you've got your choice of a $2500-3500 consumer model or a $5000+ commercial model.  On the commercial units, there must be 2 dozen really fine models, including the Kubota pictured above.  Any will do the job.  I cut with a Toro consumer model, and it's done me well for 6 years.

Hey All,

I've tested the Bad Boy, Hustler and Gravely zero turn mowers. I also looked at about 5 or 6 others and am leaning toward the Bad Boy. They seem to be better built than the others in that same price range. I'll go back to see the Bad Boy next week and try to make up my mind. I am going to use the neighbors zero turn Grasshopper with a 61 in deck to see if I'll like the large deck. I can get a 48,54 or 60 inch deck on the Bad Boy.

We'll be camping and spending time on the Bennington this weekend again!!

Later,

Marc

Back