2004 Bennigton tri toon performance propped wrong?

benniglug

Reaction score
I recently got a new to me 2004 2250RL tri-toon with lifting strakes on all the toons, and a 150 honda on it. I was expecting to be able to do ~ 35 mph - 37 MPH based on what I have been reading here. Best I can do is 30-32 MPH running about 1/8 trim at ~ 5000 RPM. The propeller is a powertech stainless 4 blade. Hard to read the laser etched numbers, but I saw a 20P on the prop so I am thinking a 20 pitch. Not sure on diameter. I am thinking this is over propped. Also mounting hole is #1 (i.e. engine mounted in lowest position)

I want to use this for some water sports / tubing (minimize venilation in a turn) , and I am hoping I can get ~33 with a moderate load and 35 - 37MPH lightly loaded.

Is this achievable? - can someone help me out?

Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
seems slow. My 2013 22 sslx with two toons w/strakes will do 34 with the wife, dog and I and we have a 115. I'm not a prop expert by any means but is your peak rpm 5000?

Yep, rpm's are too low, and that sounds like a lot of pitch.

I'm thinking Carl may be able to help here, you set up is similar to his. Let's see what he has to say..........

I get ~5000 rpm with trim to where it seems like it is biting good, if I trim up more i can get 5500 but I actually slow down. Speed is GPS measured. Pulling a Tube with 3 kids on tube, and 2 adults + 2 kids on the toon it will run ~4500 rpm, and ~27 MPH.

Best prop I found for our boat is the 15 x 15p Enertia. 20 pitch is WAY too much prop for your boat (which is the same as ours minus the changing room). I tried Vengeance, Mirage Plus and Enertia. The Enertia won out for overall performance. The boat came with a 15p Solas aluminum and it was "ok" but didn't have the pull and felt like it was slipping so that began the quest. If you use a merc prop, you'll need a different thrust washer that comes in the Honda adapter kit. Keep an eye out on Ebay, they pop up once in a while at a good price.

My only concern is if this is realy a 20P dropping to a 15P is a big change. ~1000+ rpm is you assume 200 RPM / 1p

How is the Enertia for Out of the hole, and blowout during cornering. I was guessing the previous owner put on this 4 blade to fix one of those issues. Should I be staying with a 4 blade?

I have no problem with the hole shot or blowout. I tried a 15, 16, and 17p Enertia and the 15 was the best all around whether the boat was full or empty. I've never had a 4 blade prop so someone else will have to answer that for you.

My only concern is if this is realy a 20P dropping to a 15P is a big change. ~1000+ rpm is you assume 200 RPM / 1p

How is the Enertia for Out of the hole, and blowout during cornering. I was guessing the previous owner put on this 4 blade to fix one of those issues. Should I be staying with a 4 blade?
I'm thinking the previous owner found a prop at the bottom of the Lake and put it on! :) stick with Carl on this.

How about the mounting hole for the Honda 150....I am at the top hole - position #1 (engine lowest) Seems the performance bulletin is in hole #2.

That is relative to your cavitation plate, i believe it should be about an inch under water while underway.

But i'm not an expert on that, so hopefully someone who is will chime in and give you more specifics.

Have to ask the simple question; Are the logs clean? This will affect speed and to some degree RPM.

Steve

Since we're on the topic of props (posted this in another forum but should have posted it here instead)............

I am running a stainless 3-blade 15.5 x 17P prop on my I/O boat (see boat description in my signature block at the end of this post). I have a big boat so not sure what I should be expecting but my top speed with all the gear with just me in the boat was 38.7mph (GPS). The prop was on this boat when I bought it used two years ago.

Should I switch to a 4-blade prop? What advantage, if any, will it give me?

A 4-blade will be slower but a little better holeshot. They work best on bass boats. What is your WOT and top speed, and are you close to what the manufacturer say it"s supposed to be?

Last edited by a moderator:
Can't remember what my RPM's are at WOT but as I posted above I reach a top speed of like 38.6mph. No clue on what it's supposed to be.

Hey thanks for hijacking my thread. Anyhow thanks to the rest of the members on the advice. I'll probably try the 15 x15 enertia I hope the dealer can work with me to find the right one

Hey thanks for hijacking my thread. Anyhow thanks to the rest of the members on the advice. I'll probably try the 15 x15 enertia I hope the dealer can work with me to find the right one
Easy benniglug, don't get so rowled up ...... :blink: Where's the Benni love :wub:

I don't think he meant to "hijack", I think he just figured since theres already a thread going we could "kill two birds with one stone" .... Instead of starting "another" prop question thread ..... Hopefully both of you got the info you need, and remember to post up results, not only here but in the "List your Specs" thread pinned at top of this section

Oh forgot to mention. Logs are not "polished" or anything, but not covered in fur. we used a green scotch bright pad to knock of what little junk was hangin on the logs, and washed them with toilet bowl cleaner.

Oh forgot to mention. Logs are not "polished" or anything, but not covered in fur. we used a green scotch bright pad to knock of what little junk was hangin on the logs, and washed them with toilet bowl cleaner.
I do that every couple weeks when anchored at island, using a grill scrubber ..... You'll find out, that fall toon cleaning is MUCH easier if you stay up on it all year.

Back