2004 Bennigton tri toon performance propped wrong?

We keep our Benni in canal behind our second home in northern Mi. One reason a switched from a run about - i did not liketo leave it in the water becasue of the build up it got, so I used to take it out every weekend after we were done using it. I figured the toons would be easier to clean. But know the potential impact on speed, I may need to think about getting a lift.

Can't remember what my RPM's are at WOT but as I posted above I reach a top speed of like 38.6mph. No clue on what it's supposed to be.
Keithkz.............I have the 4.3L 220 HP Mercruiser I/O w/a Mirage Plus Stainless 17P and we regularly hit 40-41 MPH. You would think you'd be able to hit in the 40s w/the 5.7L...............Try a different prop...............

Wow you're really hitting that kind of speed with a 4.3L???!!! Don't forget I'm heavier with a 2575 boat. But still....you may be right.

I see you are using the same pitch as me but what about the size of the prop (the other number)?

I tried one of those on our boat and it was a 14.5 x 17p Mirage Plus.

Wow you're really hitting that kind of speed with a 4.3L???!!! Don't forget I'm heavier with a 2575 boat. But still....you may be right.
I tried one of those on our boat and it was a 14.5 x 17p Mirage Plus.
Not sure of the diameter of the prop but I'll check it when I go to the lake tomorrow...........This will be our 6th season with our Benny and we've hit those speeds since we got it. (The engine was new in 2008) We have a 22 ft boat and the 4.3L weighs in at over 700 lbs......of course not as heavy as your 5.7........................Carl, Is there a big difference between the Mirage Plus and your Enertia when you tested them??????????

The 17p Mirage was too much for the boat. I never found a 15p that was reasonable. I'm cheap !. I've had 4 Enertias and none were more than $300.00. I just had to be on Ebay at the right time.

Well I am really going to do some researching on what prop I should have on this. I meant to write down what RPM's I was at WOT last year when I did that so I will have to do that this weekend again. I emailed propgods and of course they want that information as well before they recommend a prop for me. I do notice that on the Volvo Penta web site they largest diameter (first number) of the prop they sell for my outdrive (single prop setup) is 14.75 and again mine is a 15.5.

I went out earlier this evening and wrote down everything my prop says: Quicksilver Thunderbolt 5004 15.5 x 17P

Just realized that last year I actually posted my results on this forum.

I was at 38.6mph WOT with RPM's at 4400-4500. My engine is rated for a max RPM's of 5000 (per Volvo Penta's web site).

When I go on to Mercury's 'prop selector' web site and enter all the information, it states I should get an Enertia either a 14.7 x 16P or a 14.5 x 17P. The also recommend 3 other props. Is the Enertia their best one?

The 17p Mirage was too much for the boat. I never found a 15p that was reasonable. I'm cheap !. I've had 4 Enertias and none were more than $300.00. I just had to be on Ebay at the right time.
The Mirage came w/our Benny...................what do they go for? I never bothered to check..................

Looks like I have the 1.43 gear ratio. The propgods say with the information I'm giving them that I have a 22-24% slip which is "not good." Still waiting on them to tell me how I should proceed.

Here is what the Propgods emailed me about my current prop setup:

Well, that prop is slipping badly.

You could take it to a prop shop and have them add a little cup to it. It might help.

Two props that I'd be curious on.

The Revolution 4, is a good all around 4 blade. Normally 4 blades are slower on top end, however, if your prop is slipping a lot, and you need more traction, it may actually outrun the 3 blade

And the 3 blade Mercury Enertia. Its smaller diameter then your current prop, but it normally hooks up strong, and its a very fast prop.

If we were setting this boat up from scratch, I'd be leaning toward the Enertia.

Both props are $499 and require a $35 hub kit to make it fit a volvo.

If you get one and it doens't perform well, you can swap out for and different style or pitch for $35 plus shipping.

Propgods recommends I get the Enertia 14.5 x 17P prop. He seems to think I am going to see some major improvment with this thing so I can't wait. I was actually fairly happy with how the boat has handled.

I just got my 2013 22,5 RSR with a 250 Evenrude. What performance should I expect?

Well finally got to test 15 x15 Silas aluminum. Much better I got 33 mph Sisley a d can get 31 with 6 on board. BoAt gets out of the hole much better and motor height even looks good now

Glad you're happy, but you'll do better with stainless. You should bget 39 mph out of your boat since we have the same boats.

Carl. I am never happy if I can do better. Are you numbers with canopy completely flat? What rpm are you at? I can't see how the as enertia will get me 5 to 6 more mph. I would think 1 or 2

Back