advise on new pontoon

With our benny i can hit high 30's with a load, hell I had over 1000lbs of family, cooler, standard gear, dog and still hit 36, specs in sig, pics in gallery.  This was boat show priced at 35,000 boat and motor, march this year, add 3000 for a trailer, less down payment and were well under 40 financed.  I know its never as easy as having it in a boat house, but in and out is two to three minutes tops once you have it down, hell i still do most of it myself cause wifey dont want to drive off and cant back up.  Im teaching my daughter how to drive it now, it'll be funny when a 12 yr old drives the boat off and my wife is just along for the ride.  SPS and a 150 is the minimum.  Search Spend a Day Marina on Indian Lake or Buckeye Lake Marina they both had good pricing compared to some of the comments I've read.  We went with SAD.  Good luck.  Ps we went wawasee and webster for the 4th of July this year, nice area.

My dad never could back a trailer. When I was 11 - 12 yrs., we'd get to the campground with the camper, he'd get out and I'd get in the driver seat to back the trailer in. No one ever taught me. I just watched my grand dad when we would back his boat into the water or into the yard. Your daughter will do it!

I have another question regarding a purchase of a 22' pontoon with the tri-toon option, as we plan the move to the lake, we are discussing our remodeling to our small lake house, we will be doubling it in size and adding a three car garage.

How much overhead room do i need for a tri-toon on a float on trailer, i will probably remove the bimini top to lower the room required, Will it clear a 8' high door? Plans now call for a 10' and a 18' doors both 8' high.

on another note, my brother and sister in-law just put money down on a new Bennington  21' pontoon with a 115 hp yamaha, they take delivery on it next spring. Chalk up another sale for Dry Dock Marine

Only way you're going to get it in an 8 ft door is if you use a drop trailer and even then it's going to be tight.

I installed two 13' tall doors so I can pull in/out/through my building without lowering the top.

Go big or go home!

8' high won't even be close to clearing with a bunk trailer. I already took mine over to Dry Dock for storage, otherwise I'd measure it for you. It's an ESP hull on a Mid-America trailer, with non-removable power bimini. I'm sure Chris could tell you for sure or measure one. I'd go at least 10' high.

My garage doors are 10' wide and 9' high,  my triple toon on a bunk trailer with 14" wheels just fits in the door if I lower the Bimini down to the rails, it will not fit in when it's in the trailering position. If I'd do it again a I would go for a minimum of 10' x 10'. 

We are in planning stage of building a new addition with garage. Was thinking of 9' ceilings, maybe will have to go with the 10' ceilings and then i could go with the 9' high doors,  I would like to get a new mid america bunk trailer for the tri toon, The center lift trailers are ok for short distances but are a little scarey for longer distances, they are pretty pricey for the tritoon versions. We currently live in Fort Wayne and hope to make the move up to the lake in about 2 years or so.

I bet it would be a good time to go over to the dealers lot and measure some boats on trailers. They had a very pretty tritoon in the dark blue they just got in.

mike

You could get a Low Headroom Kit installed and possibly get even higher.

Where are those old 10" wide E rated tires when we need'em?  The trailer frame is so much shorter with them, but I am only seeing 15 inch tires on pontoon trailers now.

I'd think 10' x 16' garage door would be needed for a tritoon.  Not only are they tall on the trailer, they're also longer than most garages can handle and they're wide @ 8 1/2'.

Sometimes it's easiest to have one of those aluminum framed, aluminum topped carports built to size--with sides and ends.  They're really reasonably priced and do a great job with boats and RV's.

Where are those old 10" wide E rated tires when we need'em?  The trailer frame is so much shorter with them, but I am only seeing 15 inch tires on pontoon trailers now.

I got them on my new this spring trailer. They are still out there.

My new and old Hoosier trailer has 10" E rated tires.  I love them.  No sway. We go on a ferry and can stay under 8'6" height which saves a bunch of loonies.  Only challenge is I can not find anybody to balance them this year.  Trailer tires should be balanced and nobody does it.

We squeak ours into a 9' tall door but it is pretty tight with 14" tires. We also shortened the trailering struts on the bimini so we wouldn't make the expensive mistake of forgetting to lower it down to the rails. The downside to that is that the rear mooring cover pole doesn't clear then and the light has to be in just the right position for it to clear the rear center gate but still clear the door. All the seats clear without reclining. This is with an rcwcp esp.

With ~10' interior ceiling height, we do have low clearance OH door tracks but the opener is very tight too. Can use a jackshaft opener but more ceiling height would be much better for sure.

Also have a 12' wide door which we do really like. No worries about width.

When it comes to sheds and doors for these boats, bigger is better IMO.

well i spent a little time over at Dry Dock Marina measuring tritoons on bunk trailers

Most measured aprox 7' 8"  to  7' 10" not counting the bimini top or windshield which can be easily removed ( i will probably leave them off in springtime anyway until i can clear the bridge. The bucket seat can be tilted back or removed also. The highest point i saw was the fiberglass console which stuck up an average of 6 inches above the rail along with the top of the steering wheel.

I did speak with someone at the marina in Elkhart that sells the Midwest pontoon trailers and they indicated that they can provide low profile tires and bunk mounting brackets depending on the pontoon purchased. They did caution me that some manufactures provide center pontoons that are larger than the outside pontoons or are mounted lower that will raise the height of the boat on the trailer.

I really think i can fit in 8' high doors but not sure if that is the best choice, My wife does not want to go with 9' high doors as it will change the look of our house, she thinks the garage is too big as it is. Our addition will be 34' x 30' and my garage will be 34' x 36'.

I still have a year to decide what to buy and what to build but i am pretty sure it will be a tritoon with a 150, maybe the dealer will allow me to rent his center lift pontoon trailer to put into garage and just put on blocks.

Mike

I still have a year to decide what to buy and what to build but i am pretty sure it will be a tritoon with a 150, maybe the dealer will allow me to rent his center lift pontoon trailer to put into garage and just put on blocks.

Mike

Center lift on't work with a tritoon ..... unless I'm missing something?  :blink:

They do make a center lift for a tritoon  with large cutout for toon

very heavy duty and expensive $4000.00   a lot of money for a trailer that will seldom be used

look at  www.trailersforpontoons.com

They do make a center lift for a tritoon  with large cutout for toon

very heavy duty and expensive $4000.00   a lot of money for a trailer that will seldom be used

look at  www.trailersforpontoons.com

Well I'll be damn. I learned something new! Pretty salty. 

Back