Battery Maintainer Confusion

Yianni

Reaction score
I have the dual battery option on my Bennington. When I was at the dealer I asked the tech the best way to maintain 2 batteries over the winter. Another tech overheard and had his own opinion. Which sounds better/correct?

Tech 1: Buy 2 battery maintainers and run 1 to each battery independently with the Perko switch off.

Tech 2: Buy 1 battery maintainer, hook it to battery 1 and turn the Perko switch to both.

Buy a 2 bank charger and put one on each battery. Leave the perko on off. Or remove batteries from boat if you don’t have electric where the boat is stored.

I have a ProMariner Pro Sport 2 bank charger (forget how many amps) installed under the seat and its as easy as plugging in and forgetting about it. I do check on them occasionally though.

The batteries are a pain to get to on my R25 SWB - the covers are blocked by the swingback frame assembly. Wondering if you can just hook the maintainer to the SafetyHub, and keep the switch at 1+2?

There's diagrams and mention in the SafetyHub (bluesea) website for a charger, but not sure if you need their proprietary unit.

I have 2 batteries. I installed a battery maintainer in the boat and connected it to each battery. The plug is at the back, very easy to access. Leave the perko switch off and plug the charger in. Works perfectly. https://www.amazon.com/stores/page/41761129-C47A-48CA-88BE-EF21A3D37255.

I prefer going straight to the batteries instead of trying to go through the SafetyHub. I worry about damaging other electronics on the circuit.

I agree with using a 2-bank charger (or 2 single-banks if the batteries are located far apart) connected directly to both batteries to keep them fully charged and conditioned. For me, batteries subjected to year-round temperature changes have lasted much longer if maintained this way. Maybe someone with Dave's model layout will chime in with some advice on how they charge their batteries. But I would not leave the battery switch in the "Both" position for an extended period. At my last marina, I returned several times only to find that the GFI circuit had thrown due to a power surge or whatever. Without the charger working, a weak or dead battery will drain or destroy a good one connected to it, possibly requiring the purchase of 2, not 1. Been there. Done that.

Great feedback Mike & Madison - thanks! The batteries on my boat have threaded posts that I could just hook a couple pig-tails onto - I have a couple CTek charger/maintainers and could just pop those on when needed and keep the battery switch set to off.

I have 2 batteries. I installed a battery maintainer in the boat and connected it to each battery. The plug is at the back, very easy to access. Leave the perko switch off and plug the charger in. Works perfectly. https://www.amazon.com/stores/page/41761129-C47A-48CA-88BE-EF21A3D37255.

I prefer going straight to the batteries instead of trying to go through the SafetyHub. I worry about damaging other electronics on the circuit.

I have to agree with you. I just ordered the 2 bank charger and will leave the switch set to off.
Thanks for all the feedback!

Power is not available where I'm currently parking my boat. Anyone use solar battery tenders? Hook directly to each battery and leave switch off seems the common thread.

Power is not available where I'm currently parking my boat. Anyone use solar battery tenders? Hook directly to each battery and leave switch off seems the common thread.

I know a few people have posted about using solar panels and cable hook-ups to create a slow trickle charge to their batteries 24/7. I copied the links that someone posted once in case I wanted to set something like this up. I am adding those links below if that is something you are considering.

Disclaimer: I have not done this set up myself. Someone else in the forums did with the equipment listed below and posted positively about it in the past. I have considered it as another aspect of “hands off peace of mind”, but have yet to actually do it.

Everything you’d need to order to do a solar battery trickle charger set up is listed below (approx. $110-$120 in costs):

Solar Trickle Charger

25’ Trickle Charter Extension Cable

Battery Tender Terminal Cable

I have a solar charger on mine. I have the blackout color scheme, i used two sided tape to mount the panel to the skirt at the rear of my boat. Still there, no issues with mounting. I have had the same battery since I purchased my then new Benny in October 2015...a 2016 boat....try that today....anyway, the charger shuts off automatically when the battery is fully charged. same battery, never an issue. Battery stays in the boat year round. This past off season, the boat was wrapped in Blue wrap. the panel was covered by the wrap ...but it still kept the battery toped off. Started right up, not bad for a 6 year old battery. My kids...not kids, mid thirties, both work from home so they are always at my summer place ...on the boat, while its docked, using power all day. No problems. I don't know why a solar charger isn't an option from the factory...built in to look good, it should be.

I have been working on this topic for some time. Was referred to this product, which have multiple options: https://www.pulsetech.net/store/solar-battery-chargers.html
Their tech department suggested two SP 3's or 7's. Those are less than than the 12's with a two battery regulator:
I like having only one solar panel to mount, but two might be the way to go (KISS).

I have not yet made a decision.... but the Pulsetech seems to be designed for this and comes with a complete package. The download literature is much more helpful than the web site.

Back