Compatibility of Mercury Verado Power Steering and Sea Star Hydraulic System?

drjbeyer

Reaction score
I know this should probably be posted in the power section but I wanted to have as much exposure as possible.

Getting ready to order a 2022 R23 RSB and really want a 300 Verado but my dealer is trying to talk me out of a Verado and into just the basic 4 stroke because he says the Verado power steering system is fraught with problems. Most of the research I have done seems to be problems prior to 2018.

The one thing that did come up is the compatibility of the Verado power steering and the SeaStar hydraulic system that comes with the ESP package (which I am definitely getting).

I'm fairly certain some people on here are running Verados with the ESP package so I am curious as to how these systems interact and if you have had any problems.

The main reason I want the Verado is because of how quiet it is - that is probably the most important thing to us over speed, torque, weight, etc.

Thanks.

Drjbeyer,

I have a 2020 QX Sport with a 400 Verado. I have had no issues and absolutely love the Verado especially the quietness of it. I don’t see any reason for worry and highly recommend you get what you want. If you do have any reservations at all I would simply get an extended warranty that covers the steering unit I don’t remember if the Gold warranty covers this or if you have to go platinum but either way it’s a small price to pay for peace of mind and great coverage!

Good luck with your new boat and you will LOVE the Verado!

Dan

I've got a 2015 G ESP with a 250 verado and Sea star hydraulic steering. I've never had an issue in the 3 years I've owned the boat. Take it for what its worth but the dealer I bought from said the previous owner never had an issue either. They sold him the boat new and did all the service work for him. I've never heard of any problems but I'm hardly an expert on boats. If I was buying a new boat I wouldn't even put the hyd steering/Verrado combination on my concerns list and would start with that engine and ESP in my build sheet.

350 Verado with ESP - no problems at all with power steering here. My neighbor has the 450R Verado and he did have some issues with his steering - the pump was overheating on his QX, but he removed the insulation around it under the helm and no more issues. He also thought he was having issues with not enough power getting to the pump when using 1 battery, but when he switched to 1+2 that also stopped being a problem.

Back