DIY underwater RGB LED lights

Where did you find the new switch covers?
Great Lakes Skipper sells both the switches and covers on their site - the link should point you to the page with both. Good luck!

The two things my otherwise-loaded 2021 R25 didn't have was the side-LEDs above the toons (handled that last year: http://club.benningtonmarine.com/threads/diy-color-changing-leds-for-pontoons-for-50.11343/) and the underwater lights.

The side-lights were pre-wired, but the underwater lights were not (although I did have a spare switch to use). I'm always happy to DIY when I can save some significant bucks, so I found a nice set of RGB underwater "Drain Plug" lights on Amazon for $70: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07R3W4BJH and set about installing them.

My boat is a tritoon and has the full waveshield underneath, so it was tricky getting the wire from the helm to the back of the boat. I ended up duct-taping 5 fiberglass rods (driveway markers) together, taping some string to the end, and fishing the wire from the cockpit through the access hole under the helm to the back of the boat on the starboard side. To help, I grabbed a Nest cam from the cabin and stuck it down the hole so I could see where I was going.

I'm very happy with the results!

I also added a Lexan cover to the helm to make an ad-hoc "glovebox." I need a magnet or latch, and will switch hinges so it sits closer to flush, but it worked out pretty well too. Posted photos below:

View attachment 30013View attachment 30014View attachment 30015View attachment 30016View attachment 30017View attachment 30018View attachment 30019View attachment 30020View attachment 30021
Did you drill and tap the holes, or find a nut that would work on those threads? Also, were the wires long enough to reach the helm or di you have to splice?

Did you drill and tap the holes, or find a nut that would work on those threads? Also, were the wires long enough to reach the helm or di you have to splice?
I drilled holes and used the included bolts to fix them to the mounts. There was plenty of wire to get to the helm, and I have a loop tucked under the transom and zip-tied to keep the excess wire tidy.

Thanks! Good luck.

Got mine done yesterday.... got lucky and found that my RSB was prewired for both underwater (separate button that's not labeled) and exterior lighting so wiring was a breeze.
Where were the connectors? I looked quick on my R and couldn't find any

Got mine done yesterday.... got lucky and found that my RSB was prewired for both underwater (separate button that's not labeled) and exterior lighting so wiring was a breeze.
I have a link in my sig to the proper "Underwater LT" switch at Great Lakes Skipper - takes 2 minutes and $10 or so. Congrats on the upgrade!

Where were the connectors? I looked quick on my R and couldn't find any
Mine didn't have the wires run all the way to the stern for the underwater lights - I had to run new wires back from the blank switch. It's relatively easy to do. Good luck!

Back