Good Samaritan towing thread; have you towed or been towed off the lake?

What have been your towing experiences?

• I've been on the receiving end of a boat tow.

Votes: 3 5.4%
  • I've been on the towing end of a boat tow.

Votes: 28 50.0%
  • I've been on both ends of a boat tow.

Votes: 16 28.6%
  • I've not yet towed nor been towed (but I am knocking on wood)

Votes: 9 16.1%

• Total voters
Yesterday we had our first experience towing. We were cruising along when we passed another pontoon full of people and they flagged us down. They ran out of gas maybe a mile from the gas dock. We towed them in, not a big effort, all in, maybe a half hour ordeal. They offered cash, but we declined. We cut them loose just inside the no wake zone by the marina and the gas dock brought them fuel. Then we continued on our way to enjoy the afternoon.

Towed in several and I agree that tieing hard to the side and taking it easy is the best way to do it in tight quarters. Not a great idea if it is really rough though.

This last summer my daughter worked at the restaurant/marina half mile from us. I was getting gas when I overheard her manager on the phone apologizing he couldn't help a family that had broken down because all the rental boats were out so he had no way to get to them. I told him hop on, let's go. Needless to say they were a little surprised to see a Bennington QX coming to their rescue. We towed them back with no problem.

The next day the doorbell rang and the boat owner handed me a $200.00 gift certificate to the restaurant. He wouldn't take no for an answer. We enjoyed the restaurant food all summer.

A pleasure reading this.

We had a friend over to our cabin about 5 years ago and he borrowed our 16-foot fishing boat to go out early and catch some walleyes. It must have been before he had coffee because he lowered the boat off the lift, hopped in and took off... but forgot to put the plug in :-(

He stopped about a mile away, set about rigging up his lines, and looked back to see the entire rear-end of our little Larson submerged. He called in a panic as he couldn't get the boat started, and I shot over in our SeaDoo to help him out. Once it dried out it was good as new.

Back