Help me decide on trade in, which one?

Frankd

Reaction score
Hello everyone, we have a 2011 20 sli with a 70hp Yamaha, boat does ok with 2 or 3 people but with the grand kids getting bigger they really like being pulled on the tube, long story short looking for more power, we are looking at a new 20 sli tri-toon with a 115hp Yamaha for 30,999, or a used 2013 2075 gl, twin elliptical tubes with 50 hrs. which can be rigged with either a 115hp for 29,999 or a150hp Yamaha price not determined yet, real clean boat, have been offered 14,000 for ours on trade, I know a lot of you guys know much more than I do on the boat trade process or which boat might suit our needs better so any help or comments on how we should proceed would be much appreciated. Thanks from mascoma lake in NH

When you start with the water sports you will have the grandkids, the parents, the gear, etc.  The more power the better if your number one concern is tubing.

I think you should be looking at larger than 20'. At least a 22' or 23'........and a 150. I also think you can get more for your boat than what they are offering, unless you don't want the hassel of trying to sell it on your own.

Last edited by a moderator:
I agree with Carl. Go bigger with motor AND TOON.

And as usual, Carl's right.  A 22' boat and 150 hp would be great. 

I was out on my 24SSLX Thursday (before the weekend rains) and I was thinking how great a 30 mph fast cruise was--and how really nice my boat is.

I agree with Carl. Go bigger with motor AND TOON.
I was thinking the same way when reading your post.  Get a 23 or 24 ft with at least 150 HP,  more HP if skiing and tubing with a boat load.  Don't make the same mistake some of us made. 

Ditto Carl's comments. 22' w/115hp here. I can water ski behind my boat but tubing is much harder to provide the exciting ride of a 3 tube w/150+hp. The last time we were out some friends told me "Thanks for taking it easy on us". I was giving it everything my boat had. Needless to say, I visited the dealership this past week and have been running the numbers, trying to justify a bigger purchase.

Ditto Carl's comments. 22' w/115hp here. I can water ski behind my boat but tubing is much harder to provide the exciting ride of a 3 tube w/150+hp. The last time we were out some friends told me "Thanks for taking it easy on us". I was giving it everything my boat had. Needless to say, I visited the dealership this past week and have been running the numbers, trying to justify a bigger purchase.
And it strikes again ........

PADS is very prevalent this week.    :D

Definitely go SPS and a 150 or 200 if budget allows. We are very happy with ours.

Yup what everybody else said...............but before trading your boat in and probably losing money................post it on Craigslist or Boattrader and sell it yourself for full value. 

I had a 115. I have kids that are getting bigger and like to tube. I now have a 150 and it was a painful, but necessary upgrade.

I've looked at the build your boat section and optioned a 20' tri with the 115/SPS for about 27k. I'm not sure I can justify that much $$ so anything with a 150 is probably out. Our son will be 9 next month and I'm already too slow at 18mph on a tube.

A 20' tritoon/sps/115 is supposed to go a bit over 30mph so that may be my best option for new.

Thanks everyone, going to the marina Thursday to test a new 20slx with sps and a 115 and look at the used 2075gl twin elliptical with a 150, I am leaning more to the 20slx as from what everyone says the sps is favored for water sports/towing and it fits the budget at this time. Anyone here have or tested the 20slx with a 115? Any thoughts on this set up.

You are getting the wrong boat.

I would much rather have the ellipticals with a 150 than any other hull with a 115. There is such a huge difference between those two motors for the $ for tubing. Not so much difference between the hulls for the $. Get the cheaper boat and the bigger motor.

How much did they want for the 150 upgrade? Do they have a used one for less?

If you test drive the 115, without pulling a tube, you will be fooled by its speed. Its not about speed for tubing. It's about torque. The 115 will bog down to half speed when you have 6 or more in the boat and a couple on the tube. Been there.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok, do others out there feel the same as Kaydano? Would the twin elliptical with a 150 be better for pulling a tube than the 20slx with a 115 and sps? There seems to be no question that the 150 is a much better motor than the 115 but unfortunately the 20slx is maxed at 115, the used 2013 2075gl twin elliptical 150 and the new 20 slx 115 sps are about the same price, the used boat looks new, very clean.

Thanks Kaydano this is what I want info good or bad, keep it coming guys it's all helpful

I agree with the theory of going with the biggest motor possible. On the 20 is it possible to have the capacity plate changed to accommodate a 150?

The sps has 3 tubes and won't take a 150?  Something doesn't sound right there.

I have been skiing & tubing all my life, I agree with the others, the more power the better. While the 115 may seem enough when you just test drive it, once you put two or three kids back there with the drag of the inflatable your not going to have the power needed. Go with the 150 

I just looked in the boat builder and I stand corrected.

Back