Home improvement mishap!

BulldogsCadillac

Just some guy
Reaction score
Not sure if this is a dock talk or not, but whichever, feel free to move if you like.

I made myself pretty mad tonight. We gutted and are redoing our basement bathroom.  So we bought a 3 piece shower surround (could barely squeeze the center portion down the stairs, and as it is, completely gouged the wall from the end of a bolt sticking through) . So we set the base piece into the spot it will go, have to move the upstairs bathroom drains higher up so they fit inside the floor joist, so we grabbed the base to move it out of the bathroom. Well there is a wall right outside the doorway so we had to stand it on and end. Well wouldn't you know my luck, wasn't paying complete attention and set the base down on the screw flange on the front and when it got tipped up, broke the bottom part off!! Luckily it only broke off about 4" so I will drill a new hole up higher and hope to the all mighty reno gods that the tile will be thick enough to hide it! 

Now I need to figure out how I am going to mount a big shower panel that has a bunch of jets and a rainfall shower head and stuff all built into one, on the wall of this unit. I'm thinking I need to somehow attach a sheet of plywood on the backside with some adhesive and hope that will give it enough support. According to the UPS shipping weight it says it's 122lbs!! Never thought of that part when we ordered it! Eeek!

It's always something isn't it?!? Good luck w/the renovation! I can't even stand simple painting anymore...............

Derrick post a couple pics and we can give some advice. I would think the panel you are attaching would be designed to "hang" on existing surrounds right? What kind and how many fasteners do they give you. Shipping weight probably includes box which might be 5-10 lbs??

So the panels around 110-115?

I'm thinking with even 10 fasteners spread out that's only 10 lbs per fastener and if it's a fiberglass unit, you should be fine. If the fasteners line up vertically, just cut strips of plywood or 1x's 4-6" (10-15mm for you) wide x however long needed, glue them on and use that as your support OR glue and screw plywood to the wall behind and secure to that if possible.

Just some thoughts .... :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks Dave, the panel seems to only have two brackets. You screw the bracket into the shower, they have a little protruded edge that you then slide the shower panel down and the are two brackets on the back that catch it and it just hangs there. Kind of like some upper kitchen cabinet mounting ways. The more I think about it, the more things I worry might go wrong! Haha, like the spacing of the brackets, not sure if they will all be on the center chunk of shower unit. I haven't been able to find any pics of people installing these in acrylic shower units, most people do it in tiled showers. Hopefully there isn't a reason for that! Haha here is a pic of the back where the brackets are. Whole thing is around 63-65" tall

ml711r_1_8.jpg

Derrick: 

I always use Wonderboard concrete backer board and ceramic/porcelain tile when doing any shower or bathroom renovations.  Since we have Monarch Tile factory in town with 7 million square feet of surplus tile, we get the stuff dirt cheap.  I have not found working with tile to be very difficult, and a shower stall or tub surround is just not that much square feet--cheap to do.

I once use a plastic shower surround and the end product just wasn't that good.

Yeah, we had originally planned on doing tile, then the wife got impatient and thought this would be faster, plus the tile she likes is $10sf!! But now we might still tile about a 42" high on all the walls. I'm thinking we should have just done tile now, but the $1500 is spent already for the shower so have to use it now!

Ok, it hangs like a French Cleat. I would go ahead and on the BACK of the stall, glue a piece of 3/4" plywood and then using stainless screws and beveled washers, screw a bunch through face of the shower panel (predrill) to help "hold" ply till the glue sets. Then mount the shower per the directions. By using a big sheet of plywood on the back, you are basically helping to spread the load over a larger area, OR, mount the brackets on the stall with screws that catch the studs behind the stall, then they are carrying the load.

Projects..aren't they great!

Not positive those are the words I would use, but they are something!  I was trying to talk the wife into getting the switches and receptacles from Lowes called Legrand Adorne series, they look pretty cool I think. No go so far. She figures it would be silly to have different switches there then the rest of the house. I say yes, and no.

http://www.legrand.ca/adorne.aspx

The ceiling on my 36' screen porch balcony was sagging due to rotted/molded plywood underneath a vinyl ceiling.  I've torn the ceiling down, and was pleased to find the hidden wood and 2x6 fir decking to be in like new condition.  I have pried up all the decking by using a 3 ton floor jack and a 4x4 from below to pop up all the nails. 

The biggest physical problem is removing about 500 nails from the decking--5 hammer hits per nail to drive them out and a crow bar to remove the nails.

I'm reconstructing the joists at a proper angle to drain water, installing 3/4" exterior tongue and groove plywood and sealing it with Schlater Kerdi underlayment and porcelain tile.  It's only taking 32 years for me to correct the construction errors when we built the house.

This could be the official in project thread. I am in the process of adding two windows to our home so evey room has a lake view. Years ago I was replacing an old wood doorwall slider and the fixed end came loose while I was crouched down and it slammed down on my head. I honestly think I got a concussion as my timing was all messed up for about a year. I found myself having to really watch my steps when going up the staircase. Looking back I probably should have had that checked out.

This could be the official in project thread. I am in the process of adding two windows to our home so evey room has a lake view. Years ago I was replacing an old wood doorwall slider and the fixed end came loose while I was crouched down and it slammed down on my head. I honestly think I got a concussion as my timing was all messed up for about a year. I found myself having to really watch my steps when going up the staircase. Looking back I probably should have had that checked out.
That explains quite a bit.

I was helping a buddy with a basement remodel, nailing top plates on the floor, was holding the stud, shot the plate, but the trigger guard safety caught the plate, but the nail missed the plate.

Yup, 16D sinker GUN NAIL went in my hand between the thumb and pointer finger. OUCH !!!

I didn't have the guts to pull it out and my buddy didn't either. Off to the emergency room. X-RAY showed the point touching the bone where the thumb and pointer meet. The doctor thought that's where it was prior to the X-ray cause he was moving it ever so slightly and said it felt like it was just scraping the bone but they xrayed to be safe. How'd they get it out? Yanked it with a pair of pliers !!!! (After a nice dose of novacaine)

Tetanus shot and bandaid, and back to work we went .... Well he did, I said screw it and went home. That's enough for me today !!! Lol !!

Similar thing happened to my dad. I was 14. He had an air nailer on a ladder nailing rafters. shot...the board he was trying to nail to dropped, nail went through the other board and into his thumb. He dropped the nailer, swung his other arm over the rafter, yelled at me to get a crow bar, another ladder and wire cutters. I had no clue but he was all of a sudden yelling at me. I climb up and see he nailed through the board and through his thumb. I cut the nail as close to his thumb as I could then used the crow bar to pry his thumb off the rest of the way. The joys of childhood and a carpenter as a father... I was driving him to the hospital (thinking I had the ok to speed), he told me to slow down. The painful part was over.

Ouch !!!! I'll take mine over that ANYDAY !!! Having to pry it off the board ...... That just sounds WAY too painful .... Of course I'd have probably passed out !!!!

Yea he started to do it and then told me, you do it, but do it F'ing Fast as you can. Lol

Lol !!!!! Like ripping a band aid off !!!!

Back