Home improvement mishap!

8 stitches on the palm of my hand. From a hammer. Don't ask.

Not a home improvement mishap since I'm in the business, but...I have a 12" 5 HP tablesaw. When I was building my own home I slipped and got the end of my left thumb. Amazing what a saw like that can do to flesh. The ER doctor said it was like trying to sew up hamburger, and that is exactly what it looked like. 10 years now, and I'm just starting to get some feeling in the tip. I don't recommend using such if you're putting in 12-14 hour days.

...again with my father. .. We woke up one Christmas morning, dad had a HUGE bandage on his pinky finger. Turns out he was working late Christmas Eve finishing a Christmas present for my aunt and cut his pinky off at the knuckle. He was using a dado blade. Us kids had no idea he and mom went to the hospital. Now he uses his nub to tease the kids by sticking it up his nose. ( looks like he's scratching his brain. ) I've got one more about a chainsaw and his wrist... Yup my childhood was full of memories that make you think twice about doing things half assed.

Best man at my wedding Phil did a finger on a table saw, now we call him "Four Finger Phil"

Yep, left thumb, table saw ripped into it. Still can't feel a thing on 1" of the tip, but at least I still have it.

My friend in high school wood shop was forcing a chunk of hardwood through the bandsaw, something distracted him, he looked away for a second and it finished the cut, right through his thumb at the joint. Another contractor buddy was ripping boards on table saw as he finished the cut, the boards started to flip off the saw ..... Yup, he smacked them down and his hand went flat onto the blade. Took off his middle finger down closer to middle of hand. Lost the finger, and they kind of pulled the ring and pointer closer together when they fixed it .... In this business there's lots of missing digits !!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm thinking you guys or your "friends" need to invest in this,

I saw this a long time ago on a show called Cool Tools.

Yeah Sawstop used to have their company videos up on YT but apparently their lawyers recommended they remove them ....

That is a sweet setup. Now if only there was a way to eject bad drivers from their cars as soon as they start them. That would save more than fingers. Sorry to hear about all the missing digits out there. Makes it hard to pick your nose or give someone the bird!

Yep, left thumb, table saw ripped into it. Still can't feel a thing on 1" of the tip, but at least I still have it.
My dad used to work with a guy who cut his thumb off. They cut off his big toe and put it on his hand. True story. You need a thumb more than a big toe. I'm sure this is an obvious nickname, but they called him Toehand.

Like TomS, I still have mine...just not a matched set anymore!  I AM more careful though.

My dad used to work with a guy who cut his thumb off. They cut off his big toe and put it on his hand. True story. You need a thumb more than a big toe. I'm sure this is an obvious nickname, but they called him Toehand.
Just doesn't sound as good ...... "Hey Bill, quit standing around with your toe up your a**" ..... :)

Hahaha!! Never thought of that one!

Derrick! What's the latest on your reno job. Did you get the shower done? And, where's the pics?     :D

I tell ya, you retired guys throwing out the one liners while I'm away at work!! Actually Carl, I had the plumbers here today! Got most of the shower and valves and stuff installed, just some finishing up and then it is drywall time! The original shower panel that I ordered didn't end up working because of the horizontal seams of the shower surround caused a couple of "bumps" so it wouldn't have sat flush and would have looked funny. So I had to send that one back and order a bunch of individual pieces (valve, head, shower bars, hand wand) and therefore needed the plumbers to come back and do all the connections since it went from simply screwing the hot and cold to running all the piping. Pleased so far. Scared of what this plumbing bill is going to look like though, hopefully he has a payment plan!

Well, here is the update. Shower was all done and completed.  Had a couple set backs with the glass doors. I think I had taken some pics, but new ones will have to wait. Completely finished and used it for the first time on Tuesday, had a guest arriving Wednesday to help work at Countryfest. Well, we came home Saturday night around 1 and the newly laid and siliconed floor was floating in water, as was the rest of my basement! Almost made me cry. Here I thought our projects were done for the summer and we could finally bring the boat home. We had a ridiculous amount of rain all weekend and the week leading up to it. So my floor drain in the laundry room has a backup valve, well I'm not sure if we were going to get sewer backup and it pushed the little rubber stopper closed (someone behind us got sewage, most people had seepage and leakage, a few up the floor drain like me) and it must have got jammed. So my weeping tile feeds in above it and since the stopper is stuck, it just redirected it all into my house. Fun times. I will elaborate a little later. Damage not as bad as it could have been. Carpet, some furniture, some random things on the floor.

Well, here is the update. Shower was all done and completed.  Had a couple set backs with the glass doors. I think I had taken some pics, but new ones will have to wait. Completely finished and used it for the first time on Tuesday, had a guest arriving Wednesday to help work at Countryfest. Well, we came home Saturday night around 1 and the newly laid and siliconed floor was floating in water, as was the rest of my basement! Almost made me cry. Here I thought our projects were done for the summer and we could finally bring the boat home. We had a ridiculous amount of rain all weekend and the week leading up to it. So my floor drain in the laundry room has a backup valve, well I'm not sure if we were going to get sewer backup and it pushed the little rubber stopper closed (someone behind us got sewage, most people had seepage and leakage, a few up the floor drain like me) and it must have got jammed. So my weeping tile feeds in above it and since the stopper is stuck, it just redirected it all into my house. Fun times. I will elaborate a little later. Damage not as bad as it could have been. Carpet, some furniture, some random things on the floor.
Ouch! Glad to hear it wasn't too bad. We had a sump and backup sump quit in our finished basement where my audio room was a few years ago. We were gone for a week on vacation and came back to ~12" of water and about $45k damage done. Thanks to insurance all was restored to normal for us, but it was an ordeal for sure. Wishing you the best on this.

Back