Hot floors

Personsbennington

Reaction score
We took our new Bennington out this last weekend and the floors were so hot we couldn’t walk on them without shoes. This is are 3rd one and have never had this problem. I had to order a runner

Hmmm…that sounds pretty intense! What type of flooring do you have and where are you located? Ouch!

We took our new Bennington out this last weekend and the floors were so hot we couldn’t walk on them without shoes. This is are 3rd one and have never had this problem. I had to order a runner
New, or new to you ? The floors look discolored in your picture. If you use a runner, don't leave it down. Take it up at the end of the day, or you will have a runner imprint on your floor.

When out in the direct sun ours gets pretty hot that we either need to use our boat shoes or have socks on. But once we get on the water we use one of the water guns to wet down the floors to cool them when in direct sun and know we are going to need to walk on one of the hot areas.

We live in Oregon
I also live in Portland and have the LL21 with the grass flooring. It can get a bit warm but never hot to where you have to put the flip flops on. What type of floor is it. I'm wondering if it would be the glue under the flooring. Glue issues have happened infrequently in the past for Bennington, mainly staining.

Last edited by a moderator:
Down here in Florida, the floor gets crazy hot, so does the seating for that matter. I thought about the runner idea, We have cloth couch covers we use for seating.

We warm up our food on the front deck where the Bimini does not cover - can have hot pizza in 4 minutes (on foil) or a big burrito in 8. Of course 110 is a cool day......

We live in Oregon
Brand new boat
We warm up our food on the front deck where the Bimini does not cover - can have hot pizza in 4 minutes (on foil) or a big burrito in 8. Of course 110 is a cool day......
I also live in Portland and have the LL21 with the grass flooring. It can get a bit warm but never hot to where you have to put the flip flops on. What type of floor is it. I'm wondering if it would be the glue under the flooring. Glue issues have happened infrequently in the past for Bennington, mainly staining.
2023 24LXSRA

Last edited by a moderator:
I love the fact that you embrace your surroundings instead of complaining! Ever try baking cookies??

We soak a towel
I love the fact that you embrace your surroundings instead of complaining! Ever try baking cookies??
We cooked some Gouda cheese last summer on our Benny floor. This started as a (slightly stale) brick, but after 5 minutes it was melted (see below). For hot floors we wet a towel and soak down the decking, and/or leave a few big towels down to help make things walkable. It doesn't happen often in Northern MN, but the floors do get HOT:

Screenshot 2024-06-28 at 11.43.52 AM.png

Our double bimini provides shade for most of the boat. But the seagrass gets pretty hot when the sun moves throughout the day but it's no big deal. Shoot.... The carpet used to get hot on our old Benny!

I’ll chip in too. If what you ordered has any colors in it, remove it between uses. For example, a few people in extreme heat have had colors transfer from towels to seats when left sitting over time. I’d hate for something similar to happen to you on flooring. Not sure it can, but I simply would play it safe. And ditto BigD, let us all know how it works out.

Maybe get it wet a few times, even use some hot water - to rinse out any unsettled die - just to be sure??

Good point about "seasoning" that carpet. This floor has the glue issue anyway,(2021 S21) darker discoloration outside of the playpen area, front and rear so I'll be getting that floor covering replaced under warranty this winter. The boat now has a complete cover over the entire boat, so hopefully that discoloration will be behind us once the floor covering is replaced.

Just to update the floor runner concept. First the company, based in the UK, delivered to my door in 3 days, rolled up in a plastic wrap, remove the wrap and this carpet layed down like your grandmother just knitted it. No memory, no smell, sewn edge all around, absolute high quality. https://www.runrug.com/us/outdoor-c1515. So, unrolled it in the boat, off we went for the day down at Ponce Inlet in Daytona, Disappearing Island. Salt, sand, spills. you name it. 8 people, Laser temped the existing floor in the sun at 159 degrees! Runner rug, 110 degrees, no complaints. Came home, shot it with hose hung over the fence (12 feet long) let it dry and rolled it up for next time. Yes, worth the $150!

Last edited:
Just to update the floor runner concept. First the company, based in the UK, delivered to my door in 3 days, rolled up in a plastic wrap, remove the wrap and this carpet layed down like your grandmother just knitted it. No memory, no smell, sewn edge all around, absolute high quality. https://www.runrug.com/us/outdoor-c1515. So, unrolled it in the boat, off we went for the day down at Ponce Inlet in Daytona, Disappearing Island. Salt, sand, spills. you name it. 8 people, Laser temped the existing floor in the sun at 159 degrees! Runner rug, 110 degrees, no complaints. Came home, shot it with hose hung over the fence (12 feet long) let it dry and rolled it up for next time. Yes, worth the $150!
Thanks for posting the follow up and your experience!

Back