Huge Mistake - Anyway to Fix it?

mitchellm406

Reaction score
I messed up so bad. I missed the in-floor option when I ordered my new Bennington 25QX. I went over that build so many times, can't believe I missed such a crucial option. Is there anyway to add it? I am guessing that the middle toon is structurally different with storage versus no storage. So, could it be replaced or modified? I realize it won't be easy or inexpensive. But, if there was a defective toon, there would have to be a way to replace it, you wouldn't total the boat. Not really looking for a DIY project, just thought this thread would have the people that know about modifying a pontoon and what it might take. Thanks for any helpful advise.

I messed up so bad. I missed the in-floor option when I ordered my new Bennington 25QX. I went over that build so many times, can't believe I missed such a crucial option. Is there anyway to add it? I am guessing that the middle toon is structurally different with storage versus no storage. So, could it be replaced or modified? I realize it won't be easy or inexpensive. But, if there was a defective toon, there would have to be a way to replace it, you wouldn't total the boat. Not really looking for a DIY project, just thought this thread would have the people that know about modifying a pontoon and what it might take. Thanks for any helpful advise.
Is the boat built? If not, then you might have a chance at getting it added.

If the boat is built, honestly I wouldn't sweat it too much. There's plenty of onboard storage, and the in-floor storage comes with a big caveat: You don't want to store anything in there that's prone to mold or sensitive to water. Besides the obvious rain/splash source of water intrusion, the third toon gets naturally damp from condensation, especially if you leave your boat in the water vs. trailering or parking on a lift. Water is naturally cooler than the air most times, and if the temperature of the toons is lower than the dewpoint, you're going to have some condensation.

We just keep the pool noodles, a spare paddle, a couple skis and a wakeboard in the third toon - I wouldn't miss it terribly if we couldn't have it.

Yes, it's built and delivered. I only want it for the toys. We'll see how things work out but I really hate having the skis and other toys cluttering up the boat. Thanks.

Back in 2015 ,my 23ft RCW was hit . Insurance paid $3500 to replace it . Center will be much more, plus ,7 years later .

Yes, it's built and delivered. I only want it for the toys. We'll see how things work out but I really hate having the skis and other toys cluttering up the boat. Thanks.
I think this would be something you ONLY want to get answered directly from Bennington. Anything else I think will be speculation. In that vain…

I speculate that in a practical or reasonable financial sense, the answer is NO.

Why?

First, the center toon is very modified for the center toon storage (compartmenalized differently, bilge pump, drainage, etc). So I don’t see any reasonable way to modify an existing pontoon without tearing it all apart. So, I really believe it would involve a full center pontoon replacement, that is already a center storage pontoon. Very expensive and by itself potentially more than the diffence between selling your current boat and just re-ordering one with that feature. However, lets say one still wanted to do this job. Well then…

Second, flooring. I would think the size and placement of the in floor storage access likely cuts across normal support cross beams under ones deck. I presume they box that space out, and support into it. You then have the flooring cuts and trim (plywood and surface floor material). So even with a replacement pontoon, I would think you would need to rearrange structural integrity, supports, cuts, and trim of that decking, decking support, and flooring area. I cannot imagine what is involved in such a job - time, expense, materials, equipment, etc…

Anything can be modified and rebuilt. I would imagine it would require a total tear apart, refabricating of the center pontoon, deck support beams, deck, and flooring, and other related constituent parts. I would think this would be an enormous specialized job, and an incredibly expensive one.

I cannot imagine it being fiscally reasonable in any way shape or form. I’d imagine one might much more cheaply sell their new boat for almost what they bought it for (or what they bought it for as used prices and inventory totally favor sellers right now), and just re-order a new one with that feature already on it.

And that is my total, un-engineering informed, speculation. Is it worth 2 cents? Probably not. I’d inquire with Bennington directly. Best of luck to you in getting some answers. If you get some answers from Bennington, it would be interesting to share back here in the forum. Maybe I can get my guess above shot down, validated, laughed at, etc… :D

Last edited:
I agree with CLDave.....I keep mine in the water and there is a lot of condensation. If I did it again I would not choose it.
I basically only keep our water skis, and when using our boat our mooring cover, in there for the reasons CLDave mentioned. With our SB layout, we have so much storage, we are able to get away pretty much without using it.

However, we are lakeside so we have the advantage of not worrying about maxing out our storage. After all, we can come and go dockside with whatever items we need at the lakehouse. If we trailered, perhaps that extra space would be more useful.

I know so many swear by it, but I know we could certainly get away without it too.

I've never considered it . We have plenty of storage for the 2 of us and too many bilge pump issues have been posted here.

Bennington makes it difficult to replace your toon with one that was not originally on your boat because service part order entry is tied to your vin number. But with the help of a good dealer I was able to order different toons. With regard to your question “could it be replaced or modified?” I can see that it would be possible but based on the good feedback here it is not viable. So if you are not really looking for a DIY project then don’t do it. This would not be plug and play.

I don’t have it and don’t miss it. We live water front though so we can easily drop stuff off and head back out.

Ugh - right - we spend so much time going through all the details and then miss something BIG - so easy to do! The center toon is crucial for us - we store 2 tubes, 4 large noodles, 2 personal float mats, the ski/tow ropes, and the Wakeboard / ISUP Brackets. There would be NO room left in the toon with this stuff on deck. NOTE - the wakeboards don't fit in the center toon, the opening is not large enough. Easy answer - just order a new one for next year!

I was told when we bought ours to only put down there stuff you don’t really care about and that’s all we put there. Swim noodle and Lazy Buns and a cheap 4 pack of life jackets in a clear zippered pouch is it.

You could replace center tube, but would still have to cut floor, acquire door & trim etc.
Best option is to order another pontoon. With this crazy market you may be surprised at how reasonable that option may be?

We chose not to have because the the previous reasons already postEd. Also our boat is on a lift about 30 steps from the house.

Last edited:
Back