New Boat decision

Baroda5

Reaction score
We have found a couple choices for a new boat.  Our growing family has us looking for more power to play on the water.  What are your thoughts on either:

2013 2575QCWT (Sport Tower), Yamaha 300hp, ESP, 50 hours

or 

2015 Harris 250SL/DL, loaded, Verado 250Pro, Tri Toon, brand new

Both boats are loaded and are available from the same dealer at the same money.

I know this is kinda of a loaded quiestion, being a Bennington forum, and we love our Benny, but for the same money is a brand new Other boat a better decision than a used Super Bennington?   Should we be concerned with a used Yamaha??

If it were you, what would you do? 

50 hours ! Its hardly broke in  :D

The Bennington is still under warranty also .

The center tube on the Bennington is an ESP 

What is on the harris a standard 25 ?

I see that you are also in Michigan ,my dealer has in house spring boat show this week end .

I know he has at least 3 new 2015's  ( 2 S models and a G ) and I think he still has his R demo .

PM me if you need more info . ( dealer name ,phone  ) 

Last edited by a moderator:
To get a new Q with a 300 hp would be over $105000.  Don't know what the price point is but I would rather buy a great condition top of the line used boat and save the depreciation.  It was we did with the big boat.  Saved 65% of new price.  I would not have paid the price for new   Nobody will know your Bennington is several years old.  They will be telling you how good looking your boat is.  Our boat still gets looks and questions.

Bigger motor - top of the line boat - transferable warranty - Great forum that loves to spend other peoples' money.  To me, it is a no brainier to get the Bennington.  If it is a fair price and you don't like the boat after this year, I would  buy it from you.   

We've owned 2 Harris's and now a Bennington. My dealer here in NE Indiana sells both. We chose the Bennington for the third go-around and there is no comparison in terms of performance and quality IMHO. I'd go with the Q and see if you can get a bit better price ;-) The Yamaha 300 is a great engine for that boat too.

Thanks, I'm really leaning toward the Q.  I'm not sure what the list price was, but its selling for 40-50% of what I think it would've been.   The Harris is 30% off, so we went to look at it, and it only took my wife 5 minutes before she found this gem tucked away in a corner.  

I'll find out more about the warranty's on Monday, hopefully.  Any idea what the warranty is on the Yamaha?  transferable?  $$ extended warranty??

The Q normally is only thought of when opening the brochure and flipping down toward our reality.  This would be a dream boat, wish us luck.

I test drove a Harris when shopping for our boat.  The bimini frames were shaking and rattling the whole time, which was a huge warning sign that the overall quality wasn't what we wanted.  Haven't regretted our Benny for a minute.

The only Harris model that I find appealing is the Crowne.

That's an interesting question.  We don't have any bridges on our lake, but I have no idea how tall that is on a trailer.  Do you think it would be a concern on the roads? (Hangover 2 - Giraffe vs. Overpass??) :unsure:

I doubt it is over the height limit for towing.  I don't have a tower but I do have a Q with a hybrid top that's pretty tall, probably pretty close to the tower height.  It sits about 12' high as my garage has a 13' door and it clears by roughly a foot.

Last edited by a moderator:
As Jack said, only 50 hours on the Q makes it a no brainer.  Harris has some good looking top of the line boats but I still don't think they compare to the Q

I think Tom's real world experience with both brands speaks volumes.

We've submitted an offer, wish us luck, I'll let you know.

Good luck, hope it works out for you.  Keep us updated.

We got it!!!  I bought a 2 year extended warranty on the Yamaha for $3k, hopefully we'll never need it, but it helps me sleep better knowing it's covered.  Otherwise, pending anything we find on the test drive, we take ownership on the 26th. Now to sell the boat lift, I believe the Q tips the scales around 4600#, which is a bit too much for my 4000# lift.

Congrats! Great boat. Looking forward to the photographic evidence!!! ;)

Back