New Problems - Near Electrical Fire

I’d hope they get the parts in the next 7-8 months before it’s boating season in Michigan again.
Ouch. Rub it in, will ya, Andy? LOL

Rubbing it in would be saying it was 85 and sunny here today. But I’m not going to do that!

Rubbing it in would be saying it was 85 and sunny here today. But I’m not going to do that!
I’m glad you wouldn’t say something like that us to us remaining Michiganders Andy. That really would be rubbing it in. :D

Update: Down to waiting on ONE final part for the initial repairs. It is the most important one, but at least down to just that after 7 months now. Main electrical harness from fuse box to helm. Still on back order with no e.t.a, but everything else is now in.

With ice forming on the lake, the boat, repair parts, dismantled portions of boat (underskinning, sea legs, etc) are all now put into indoor storage for the winter at the dealership. Once the lake is thawed out in the spring, and presuming the main electrical harness is in by then, they wail reassemble it all and water test it.

Frankly, this situation has been a test of my patience and sanity. Fingers crossed. Fingers crossed, from here on out.

With ice forming on the lake, the boat, repair parts, dismantled portions of boat (underskinning, sea legs, etc) are all now put into indoor storage for the winter at the dealership. Once the lake is thawed out in the spring, and presuming the main electrical harness is in by then, they wail reassemble it all and water test

No ice forming here. Only ice I have seen today was in my Pepsi at lunch. Mid 70s last week but 45/25 on Wednesday but back in the upper 50s after that.

Glad it is getting closer to being repaired.

Hang in there Jeff!

Feb. 2022 Update: The main electrical harness arrived on Fri. 2/11 at the dealership. That was the final part we had been waiting on since July 2021 so as to replace/repair the electrical system.

Boat went into repair bay today and they are working on it. Contact person said a good 3+ days to put system back together and do “in bay” testing of the systems.

If those DON‘T go well, they will trouble shoot from there - praying this isn’t the case!

If that goes WELL, then they will put under-skirting back on, and coordinate with Sea Legs to have one of their techs come out and put those back on. They can retest that that then works properly.

If all is still well at that point, they will have the boat ready for extensive water testing as soon as the lake thaws and weather permits this spring. Service rep keeps telling me “we are committted to having you and your boat back on the water this summer”. However, I cannot help being pessimistic after losing my entire boating season last year over this situation. Fingers crossed. Prayers being given. Good vibes and karma welcomed. Maybe…just maybe…we are on the brink of getting our beautiful Bennington repaired and back on the water.

Hoping all goes well and your boat and summer are ahead of schedule.

boy they do seem to be committed to your cause. Have a feeling that effort will pay off. Happy boating this summer

Here’s hoping (prayers, karma and fingers crossed) that it all goes well! I can’t even begin to imagine being in your situation last summer. Then again, you did get a pretty sweet PWC out of the deal.

Then again, you did get a pretty sweet PWC out of the deal.
This is true!. Also true: monthly reminders from my accountant…aka wife…that the PWC payment is not in the monthly budget with my retirement. Two sides to that coin my friend….ha, ha!

Okay maybe I missed it but did they ever find the cause of the near electrical fire?!?

Okay maybe I missed it but did they ever find the cause of the near electrical fire?!?
No. Never did. Thus, it had to be an insurance claim due to no known cause. Dealership service department speculated “I” must have crossed my wires on the charger since they couldn’t find another cause - which being as meticulous as I am, I have explained a number of times was not the case.

Anyway, the Insurance claims agent said that in a near boat electrical fire they can almost never find the actual cause because the source is burned/scorched/obscured by the damage…and its a service technician not a fire investigator going through it.

Everything but sea legs has been put back together.

The boat passed all of the first set of system checks on the electrical system, motor, etc.. Dealer service tech said it is 100% good to go once the sea legs are put on. :cool:

They will still do the water test to be extra certain. However, they have reassured me (umm…a few times) they finally got it all set. :)

So thrilled!!!

I want to be guarded with my level of excitement after what we have went through with the dang boat since getting it out of winter storage last May.

However, I cannot help myself. I feel nearly the same way I did in the winter of 2017 when our boat was delivered to the dealership and we were simply waiting on summer to get it for the first time.

What they say is true: Absence makes the heart grow fonder. ;)

Great news to hear! Hopefully everything continues to go well.

Back