Photos!

Sunrise at Powell. I'm seriously considering heading down and camping a few days over Christmas out there if the temps stay mild like they've been. I think all I'll I have to do is stick a patio heater on the boat and the admiral should be happy. :)

powell-july-20.jpg

Do it! And then post pics!

Yes do post the Christmas pictures as I am eager to see what that place looks like covered in snow :blink:

Snow doesn't usually last long out there. It gets plenty cold for it, but it melts off the slickrock fast where the sun can touch it. The melting patterns and shadowed ice formations sometimes look pretty cool though. Here are a couple shots from nearby taken in past winters. 

IMG_6930.jpg

There's a nice little stream flowing beneath the ice in this one...

IMG_2824%2B-%2BVersion%2B7.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Amazing Photos 

These photos are book worthy 

You may want to consider publishing a book of your adventures 

Just food for thought 

57931529.jpg

In a world gone crazy the beauty of nature provides solace.

Last edited by a moderator:
Not sure he could narrow it down to fit in just one book! Might have to make it a series!! Beauty pics!

Very nice. Now if we could market like Lik, we could all retire.

Cheers, Steve

6.5 million huh? Someone got ripped off. I just saw it for free!!!

His work is wild. I have a couple pieces that we purchased in Keywest. One as a signature piece at my wife's office. Had to take it down for reframing/lighting change as people kept touching it as the thought it was a flat screen in the wall.

And no we didn't pay 6.5. Million. My butt would be on a small sail boat somewhere in the Caribbean with the balance paying college tuition. That should get them a quarter or two with inflation 5 years from now.

I spent two nights out on the boat over the weekend. Really great to be out in the clean air and sunshine again. 

First campsite near Cookie Jar Butte:

IMG_7221.jpg

There was a nice sunset that night. What made it unique was that it didn't stop until well after dark. The stars were already coming out and I had to use a head lamp to get around when I took this one. That's Venus setting on the horizon. 

IMG_7380.jpg

Later that night once it got really dark:

IMG_7420.jpg

Great photos as usual!

Like Andy said great pics as usual but Love the last pic with the stars. Can I ask what your shutter speed was for that to pick up the stars like that. 

That shot was taken with the following settings:

25 seconds, ISO 3200, f2.8

I used a new lens I just picked up solely for taking night shots, the Rokinon 14mm f2.8. It did a great job. The camera is a Canon 6D.

What body of water were you on? Is it vast?

Pretty cool. Looks like there is a huge marina on the south west side. I would imagine it isn't hard finding a private cove to relax in with all that water.  

Yep, that big one on the southwest end is called Wahweap. That is where I launched from. Other than a couple of commercial boats going between Wahweap and the mid-lake Dangling Rope marina (only accessible by boat), I didn't see another soul out there in 3 days. 

How far are you from Powell?

Too far. From Wahweap, it takes me almost 5.5 hours. I decided to store the boat there for the winter to try out the area while it's slow. The south end gets the majority of the traffic in the peak season. I plan to bring my boat back home in the spring to do some work and then move it to new storage closer to Bullfrog Marina on the north end of the lake. That shortens the drive by about an hour. I prefer the scenery and hiking opportunities in the north end as well. 

Back