Post up your other toys or hobbies ..... AGAIN

Loved the S-10’s from those years. I owned 6 or so including an Xtreme. That looks like a sweet find.

Stumbled on these 1991 650's a couple of years ago, started right up and came with a trailer. But I knew they needed some work. Turns out the trailer needed more than the jet skis! Finally dropped them in the lake yesterday before the crowd arrives. SO MUCH FUN.

Attachments

• PXL_20230527_011814922.jpg
    PXL_20230527_011814922.jpg
    166 KB · Views: 18
  • PXL_20230527_011826624.jpg
    PXL_20230527_011826624.jpg
    187.8 KB · Views: 18
Remember D-day. 79 years ago. Even if your not into the old Metal bands, these are pretty telling videos of how boys turned into men and heros in an instant. God bless them all.

Found a unicorn last week. My son who loves S Series Chevy trucks and and currently drives a last year produced 2005 ZR2 blazer has been wanting to find a pick up truck for work and hauling his re-enacting gear etc. Been looking forever and most are just bad. 180K+ miles, good old 2000's Chevy rusted Sheetmetal etc. Ended up finding a 2003 ZR5 crew cab (only made 2001-2004) with 45K original miles in Ohio. Had been stored indoors and only driven on the guys property to check on his fences etc. I don't think anybody has ever sat in the back seat. Zero rust, clean underbody, Locking rear diff, trailering, factory fog lamps etc. Even got the window sticker for it. Brand new tires, tinted windows, aftermarket radio with Bluetooth, XM, Apple Car play, back up and front facing camera ready, remote start, alarm etc.

Put a deposit down and drove down last Wednesday and made the 200+ mile ride home. Cold AC, cruise control at 75 mph on the turnpike, let go of the steering wheel and drives true and straight with no shimmy or shaking.

My son had no idea we went down and got it as he just had returned from a re-enactment even in Eastern PA. Needless to say he was pleased.

I was lucky enough that my parents bought my first ride which we did for his ZR2 back in 2019 but this truck he gave us 50% down of the truck once he knew we bought it and is making monthly payments to us for the other 50% of the cost of the vehicle.

The funny thing is I actually had one of these back in 2001 which was a dark green one when I was working for GM in Flint. Like father like son I guess. HAHAHHA
That was a super find!!! I STILL have my 4 cylinder 2003 Chevy S10 that I used to commute to DC back in the day! 255000 miles and still runs like Champ!!! Bought in 2004 with 6000 miles on it from a lady who's husband just passed away for $9750. Can't believe it's 20 yrs old!

That was a super find!!! I STILL have my 4 cylinder 2003 Chevy S10 that I used to commute to DC back in the day! 255000 miles and still runs like Champ!!! Bought in 2004 with 6000 miles on it from a lady who's husband just passed away for $9750. Can't believe it's 20 yrs old!
That's awesome!!!!

Been a fun week with the doors off. Supposed to rain hard tomorrow, so I guess I'll have to put them back on. The Rain Gear Cab cover has been excellent this week repelling the sprinklers and pollen / dust in the air

Attachments

• Cab cover.jpg
    Cab cover.jpg
    94.6 KB · Views: 12
  • Doors off.jpg
    Doors off.jpg
    203.6 KB · Views: 12
  • Rain gear cab cover.jpg
    Rain gear cab cover.jpg
    100.1 KB · Views: 12
Had a reenactment last weekend. USMC vs Imperial Japanese Army at Iwo Jima. It was nice as we had about 5 or so US Marines from WWII that were in attendance. They are getting far and few still around which is sad. They enjoyed our knowledge and realism of the battle and the gear / weapons involved in the battle. It was cool to see a WWI Vet at 90 years old want to hold the 20lb BAR and remember how everything worked / functioned for a weapon he carried to save his life.

If anybody is in SE Michigan, we have another ETO (morning battle) and PTO (afternoon battle) re-enactment on July 8th and 9th in Chesterfield Michigan.

Attachments

• 1st ID camp set up.jpg
    1st ID camp set up.jpg
    302.4 KB · Views: 13
  • Banzai Charge 3.jpg
    Banzai Charge 3.jpg
    83.4 KB · Views: 13
  • Banzai Charge 4.jpg
    Banzai Charge 4.jpg
    87.5 KB · Views: 13
  • devil dogs.jpg
    devil dogs.jpg
    205.4 KB · Views: 13
  • Jap army.jpg
    Jap army.jpg
    225.8 KB · Views: 13
  • Marines at Iwo Jima.jpg
    Marines at Iwo Jima.jpg
    206.9 KB · Views: 13
  • Sturm foxhole BAR.jpg
    Sturm foxhole BAR.jpg
    149.9 KB · Views: 13
I was talking with my wife about that the other day that soon, there will be no one left to tell the stories, only books or movies. It’s not the same. Listening to a story from a person firsthand has a completely different effect than watching a documentary. The one thing the documentary does is provide a visual. It’s awesome that you had some vets able to share with you.

Had a reenactment last weekend. USMC vs Imperial Japanese Army at Iwo Jima. It was nice as we had about 5 or so US Marines from WWII that were in attendance. They are getting far and few still around which is sad. They enjoyed our knowledge and realism of the battle and the gear / weapons involved in the battle. It was cool to see a WWI Vet at 90 years old want to hold the 20lb BAR and remember how everything worked / functioned for a weapon he carried to save his life.

If anybody is in SE Michigan, we have another ETO (morning battle) and PTO (afternoon battle) re-enactment on July 8th and 9th in Chesterfield Michigan.
As always , for sharing! Simply fascinating to see that many folks interested in being a part of recreating military history. I wish that I’d thought to take my dad while he was still around. Do you do any of these in the Fall or Spring?

As always , for sharing! Simply fascinating to see that many folks interested in being a part of recreating military history. I wish that I’d thought to take my dad while he was still around. Do you do any of these in the Fall or Spring?
I will keep you posted and go through the schedule. There are some basically all year around, just depends on how far of a drive you want to make. We also have "timeline" events where its wide open as to what you want to portray. People come with French Indian wars, Civil War, American Revolution, Old west with cowboys and Indians, WWI, Korea, Vietnam, Gulf War etc.

Some cool photos from Chesterfield over the years on this FB page. We even get the Ladies involved in many events. We have our own field kitchen wear the guys will make a period correct hot meal for eveyone.

10549021_10152163802977217_741641804305600316_o.jpg

My only reenactment history was the sheer luck of being an extra (friend worked for local cable company who knew some people) for the filming of the movie “Gettysburg”. I met Tom Berenger (holier than thou) and Martin Sheen (super friendly and talkative). 2 days dressed in wool uniforms in awfully hot and humid August … ugghhhh. Still a memory I’ll never forget.

That’s an incredible experience right there!

I drew the short straw and had to stay home with the dogs while the wife, kids, my mom, sister, and her hubby went on a 10 day out west adventure to goto Mount Rushmore, Yellowstone, and a bunch of other places.

Only my son (who decided to take some his 1800's cowboy re-enacting gear) to walk around a1800's South Dakota Frontier town would meet up a with a girl his age who brought her clothing as well. Too damn Funny!!!!

1687656985082.jpeg

New toy I picked up today. They’ve been in Asia since 2014. Released in the states this year and hard to find in my area. Honda XR150L. Wanted something to putt around on. Definitely more gas conscious than my HEMI. :p
That’s the salesman in the pic … not me. ;)

IMG_4307.jpegIMG_4282.jpeg

So far 90 mpg on the new Honda on first top-off. Almost 300 miles driven so far. Forgot how much I missed riding. She’s no speed demon but I’m just a slow cruiser … like the Benni is with that 20hp on it. :D

Sorry to blow up the thread again, but had another great re-enactment over the weekend. I know, its a record on repeat for me. BUT...........

The highlight for me was after the morning battle vs the Japanese army, a Korean war vet came up and asked if he could hold my BAR which he carried in the conflict and said save his life on more then 1 occasion while he was deployed. Gave him the gun and the ammo belt and you could could hear the crackle in his voice as he talked about being in the Chosin Reservoir in 1950. His comments / memories were horrific but very moving at the same time at what they faced vs the Chinese onslaught over 17 days. 30K UN forces vs an approx 120K Chinese Communist Forces (CCF). His story on how he survived was amazing to say the least.

If you look at the German flag photo, the gentleman in the lower right corner is actually a Airborne ranger from WWII and D-Day. He comes to all the events and walks around to tell his stories to the public. He is a true hero in my opinion.

Attachments

• BAR 1.jpeg
    BAR 1.jpeg
    621.5 KB · Views: 4
  • BAR covering fire on the move.jpeg
    BAR covering fire on the move.jpeg
    156.1 KB · Views: 4
  • BAR prone.jpeg
    BAR prone.jpeg
    133.7 KB · Views: 4
  • Camp.jpg
    Camp.jpg
    235 KB · Views: 5
  • Dinner.jpeg
    Dinner.jpeg
    281.5 KB · Views: 5
  • Dodge Weapons carrier.jpeg
    Dodge Weapons carrier.jpeg
    132.8 KB · Views: 6
  • Down time between battles.jpeg
    Down time between battles.jpeg
    287.6 KB · Views: 6
  • German officers.jpg
    German officers.jpg
    246.5 KB · Views: 6
  • Germany army on the march.jpeg
    Germany army on the march.jpeg
    244.7 KB · Views: 6
  • Jeep.jpg
    Jeep.jpg
    277.3 KB · Views: 6
  • Lunch in the fox hole.jpeg
    Lunch in the fox hole.jpeg
    340.7 KB · Views: 6
  • Mitch on the move.jpeg
    Mitch on the move.jpeg
    113.1 KB · Views: 6
  • Mitch US GI.jpeg
    Mitch US GI.jpeg
    298.6 KB · Views: 6
  • US forces victory over the Germany army.jpeg
    US forces victory over the Germany army.jpeg
    333.1 KB · Views: 7
  • US forces.jpeg
    US forces.jpeg
    264 KB · Views: 7
  • US victory over Japanese forces.jpeg
    US victory over Japanese forces.jpeg
    157.8 KB · Views: 6
  • Big Red 1 battles.jpg
    Big Red 1 battles.jpg
    164.6 KB · Views: 6
  • Big Red 1.jpg
    Big Red 1.jpg
    181 KB · Views: 4
  • Squad tent.jpg
    Squad tent.jpg
    268.4 KB · Views: 4
Pretty cool!!!

Those new hondas are great. Watched a ton of YouTube videos on them recently. Bargain as well

I rode when younger. Dirt bikes as a young kid, and then my own street motorcycle in college. Got rid of my Honda Nighthawk when we had our first kid in our 20’s. Always thought I would eventually get another motorcycle.

After my dad and step mom were killed 8 years ago on an afternoon ride by an inattentive utility worker who turned into them looking for an address, I swore off them. Haven’t had the itch since.

I can appreciate others having it though, as I did for about 20 years during that gap without one. I try to scratch that itch with the snowmobiles, and when able again our jet ski, these days.

Back