Questions for the community.

scottyp

Reaction score
We are getting into the nuts and bolts, sometimes literally, of our 2003 Bennington tritoon family project. I had a few questions come up along the way that i was hoping to bounce off the community. First we have multiple threaded sockets in our handrail. What is supposed to thread into these? my first thought was a rod holder, but my wife thinks they might be for the fender\bumper tie offs. Second what size cleats go on the rear corners of the boat. mine were both lost at some point. Finally my wiring schematic has a switch for "indirect tube lighting" what is this? we have a separate switch's for the stern bow and instruments lights, and for the docking lights. Any help with any of these questions would be greatly appreciated.

I looked under the lip of the deck all around the pontoon and did not see any lights but I am not counting it out. I will need to trace the cable to figure it out for sure. Thank you for the reply, and for the link for the parts.

A couple pictures might help too for understanding exactly what you mean by threaded sockets in handrails. That doesn’t sound normal, and maybe something previous owners did to secure…something…

On a 2003 I am not sure exactly what the end cleat options were. These days you have the ones that are fixed above deck and those that push down flat (upgrade option). Perhaps a picture of the areas where the 2 are missing could help guide people that too with it being an older Benny. My guess is a standard aftermarket that somewhat matches up with the front corner cleats would do the trick. Probably some sort of standard size for something like that.

As for that lighting, sometimes there are “standard” or “generic” helm switches for options that may or may not have been selected at original purchase. That switch may be generic and go to nothing, or it may be wired into some sort of outside or tube based lighting. I’d simply test it out in the evening when the boat is on the water. If and outside decorative lights come on, then you know what you have. If they don’t, and you just gotta know, then you’d probably have to try tracing for wires.

Here is a picture of the threads used for the cleat. And what is left of the cleat. I will get a picture of the threads on the rail when the weather clears up. Thank you all again for your help.

Attachments

• 1000000331.jpg
    1000000331.jpg
    132.9 KB · Views: 34
I have a 2003 and I just bought new cleats from Bennington that cost about $45.00 a piece. My cleats looked exactly like those. After I got the cleats I google the part number and I could have bought them for about $17.00 a piece online. I did have to redrill a hole, the new one's were bigger and looked to be a lot better. When i get home I will get a pic and part number.

I looked under the lip of the deck all around the pontoon and did not see any lights but I am not counting it out. I will need to trace the cable to figure it out for sure. Thank you for the reply, and for the link for the parts.
It's probably pre-wired - there should be plugs near the bow/front you can tap into. My "RGB Pontoon lights" link below has details and photos on what I did and what my setup looked like. Good luck!

My guess is those threaded sockets are older aftermarket brackets of some sort for rope and bumpers added on by a previous owners. That’s what they look like at least.

However, I am not familiar with older Bennington’s either.

That will be handy if i could find the attachment that threaded into it. Then I would not need to buy the rail clips for the bumpers. Thank you for the guess. I really appreciate all the help the forum is giving me. I am glad we happened upon a used Bennington and not some other type of pontoon.

That will be handy if i could find the attachment that threaded into it. Then I would not need to buy the rail clips for the bumpers. Thank you for the guess. I really appreciate all the help the forum is giving me. I am glad we happened upon a used Bennington and not some other type of pontoon.
If you cannot find the attachments that go into those older brackets, you could remove them and put newer ones right over the top of them to cover up the holes, but still have adjustable rope clamps.

Back