SPS and strakes question. TB Please chime in

lakeliving

Reaction score
I have another question for you guys and TB.

So we're getting closer with moving forward with the next boat but want to make sure we have it right. I see on the boat builder that there is an option for "Lifting strakes-Sealed (ESP/SPS)

What is this? We are building the boat to have the best top speed and also for salt water(in case we move south) I know the SPS package has strakes and foils already but does this add strakes to the outside tubes? Or is this just sealing the strakes already there, and if so, why is this not included in the salt water package?

TB-Do you have the specs on the 24 ssrx sps and 200 that was at the on water demo??

Also, I thought there was a stainless ladder coming out for non extended deck. Any photos of that yet?

Thanks for all the help and patience everyone.

Hey Andy, I would say that it is just sealing the already existing strakes. It doesn't add more. the reason why it can't be included in the salt water package is because that just adds anodes. They couldn't have it included in the price since if you just had a 2 toon with a 50hp, you wouldn't have strakes, but would still need the anodes for saltwater. So they have different 'options' to account for each individual log setup. 

Andy Derrick is right all they do I'd seal the current strakes and foils and they do this for the salt water, so the water does not just sit inside the strake or foil. I asked that question at the club event when I was there.

Not sure about the ladder.

Thanks guys that makes sense. I guess it is just another item to add on the list! And now the wife wants to add kicker speakers too. I'll have to get with Bennington on the ladder then. It was suck to get the next one in only to find out there is a stainless option.

Andy Kicker speakers are well worth the upgrade, they sound great and look great too. The Sony Bluetooth stereo upgrade is also worth it, wife and I use the Bluetooth almost every time we go out, usually listening to pandora. Just my 2cents on that.

Last edited by a moderator:
I appreciate the feedback Chris. We're already planning on upgrading to the Sony M6.

Your welcome and have a great day

As I'm sure you can guess, I STRONGLY RECOMMEND the Wet Sounds XS-650's!!! I know it doesn't show on the build, but I would definitely ask!! I sure hope they are still working together, I absolutely love mine!! And they can handle the power too. Seriously, ask. I'll put it in a way we will all understand, Wet Sounds is the Bennington of the audio industry. They care, and put out an amazing product. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the tip Derrick. We love music but the some extra punch isn't on the wife's must have list, there for it is not going to be on the boat. I had a nice system in my Saturn when I met her and she hated it as she said it hurt her chest!!

I'm also bummed about getting information on the new stainless ladder option for non extended decks. I've been emailing the MI rep and was told to get with a dealer, and have them look through the 800+ photos from the dealer meeting to find one and show me what it looks like. Not the response I was looking for as I would have thought they'd be pushing new options to recoop engineering and associated costs for bringing a new option to market. I guess I'll talk to the dealer today on that.

Andy,

You are not getting extended deck? That's the one option other than raised helm that's a deal breaker for me. I'd trade my RLi on a extended deck ANY model. My next one MUST have extended deck and raised helm. I was pricing a S model rear walk through but did not see raised helm ?? Bummer ......

No on the extended deck. Limited budget so we're weighing options vs our usage. Our 22 didn't have it and we were ok without it. The 24 will have some extra room in front of the bow fence for fishing so I'm happy with that. When we pull the trigger I'll start a new post but I think we are going to have a really nice boat and still be under 40 with a 200. That is pushing it with the wife as she is going to stop working this spring. I don't want to kill us on one income and a huge payment. We don't have Derrick's creative financing skills and Toms kind of money!!!!

Oh I see, the SSRX still has some useable space back there. I could deal with that too without the extended deck ........ My R model has just enough to step on, but thats it.

That SSRX is SWEET !!!!!!!

No on the extended deck. Limited budget so we're weighing options vs our usage. Our 22 didn't have it and we were ok without it. The 24 will have some extra room in front of the bow fence for fishing so I'm happy with that. When we pull the trigger I'll start a new post but I think we are going to have a really nice boat and still be under 40 with a 200. That is pushing it with the wife as she is going to stop working this spring. I don't want to kill us on one income and a huge payment. We don't have Derrick's creative financing skills and Toms kind of money!!!!
You must have me confused with someone else ;-)

Don't you want an aft deck for the dogs? Mine thinks that's pretty swell. We also always board there, never bother to use the bow gate.

There is a guy on our lake that got a ssrx on our lake this year. We chatted with him a few times, they do look sharp. He thought a 115 was a lot of motor on a toon. I'll have to see what he thinks about a 200! And Dave, sell some of your shoes, cameras, cars, rc toys and you'll have cash for a really nice Q!

You must have me confused with someone else ;-)

Don't you want an aft deck for the dogs? Mine thinks that's pretty swell. We also always board there, never bother to use the bow gate.
 The sslx has a large corner boarding area which is where the dog hangs out and we board the boat, or we'll open the bow gate and use a cupholder as a door stop and he lays up front.

There is a guy on our lake that got a ssrx on our lake this year. We chatted with him a few times, they do look sharp. He thought a 115 was a lot of motor on a toon. I'll have to see what he thinks about a 200! And Dave, sell some of your shoes, cameras, cars, rc toys and you'll have cash for a really nice Q!

Trust me, we are starting, but we are doing it to be ready to head south hopefully within 5 years. We are taking a load to auction in a couple weeks and will continue. I'm going to start selling off electronics on ebay  to start the "South Fund". We hope to keep the Benny, or worst case, sell it & get one down south. Maybe by then they'll have a 40' "HHB" model (House/Head/Bed)........ :D

I've priced boats here in MI and in FL, MI is thousands cheaper for the same boat. That is why we are getting all the salt water items installed now so when we do get south our boat will be all set. The guy who bought our boat lived in NY and he buys his boats in MI as well as they are cheaper out here. My guess would be it is a lot cheaper to ship them here than NY, FL etc. So I guess my point is, order one from up here, I'll use it for a season, make sure everything is good to go for you before you move.

I'm betting they are really cheap in Indiana !!!!

"2013 2275 RCW Limited ESP Verado 250 Pro, with lots of nice options" = not cheap no matter where you live!!!!

Back