Trim switch

Furnitureguy

Reaction score
First time in the water with my 2023 SV. Trim switch on throttle lever is not working. All accessories work. Trim switch on motor (Merc 90) works. I’m hoping it is a fuse or loose connection but what a mess of wires under the helm. Any suggestions on where to start? The thought of hauling it 2 hours back to dealer boils my blood and will ruin my first week off! Boat has 0.8 hrs on it.

I’m really surprised that the dealer didn’t notice that it didn’t work after they set it up. I don’t think that you’ll find anything under the helm as I believe the throttle is a totally separate system. My first suggestion would be to give them a call and see if they can help troubleshoot it.

Thanks. He said bring it in, but I’m calling back tomorrow. I’ve been underneath and I see the throttle is an enclosed package. All the wires coming out of it are tight. I see no fuses or anything anywhere. No fusebox either.

Check the wires and connectors under the engine cowling. You should be able to find the wires, connectors and relays by tracing the wires from the trim switch on the engine.

If your boat has the keyfobs and not an actual key ensure the power button is on, part of the helm master. I had the same issue but it was because the power button was not on. It's part of the helm master system. With power off on the Helm Master the trim switch on the motor was the only thing that worked.

Thanks. Just have the regular old fashioned key. Will check under the cowling as suggested by someone. One suggestion was also an undercharged battery.

On my newer Mercury with DTS, if my key has been off for more than 15 minutes the trim on control will not work.

Last edited:
As rbtnt has mentioned, you need to have the key in the "on" position to use the trim switch from the controller. It works for about 5 or so minutes after you turn off the motor as well. If trim isn't working from the controller even while running, something is funky with the rigging. There's nothing under the helm that connects to the Merc controls. I hope it's something super simple!

Thanks all. Dealer is supposed to get back to me but I have done all you have suggested. No loose wires, can’t find a single fuse anywhere, ran the boat up and down the lake for an hour and nothing still I’ll keep you posted! I appreciate the help.

Friend of mine had the same problem on his new boat purchase. He took the control handle off and the green wire was cut in 1/2. He said to be careful and remember what position the handle was in when you remove it. It fixed his problem. Hope this helps. (the gentle giant was furious with his dealer to say the least)!

First time in the water with my 2023 SV. Trim switch on throttle lever is not working. All accessories work. Trim switch on motor (Merc 90) works. I’m hoping it is a fuse or loose connection but what a mess of wires under the helm. Any suggestions on where to start? The thought of hauling it 2 hours back to dealer boils my blood and will ruin my first week off! Boat has 0.8 hrs on it.
Update PROBLEM FIXED. Got the dealer’s tech on the phone and he described the clip/wires that would be the culprit. I found the two ends. They were just not plugged together. One end was buried in the mess of wires under the helm so I had never found it on my first digging. Anyway I plugged them together and now she is 100%! Thank you all on this forum who took the time to make suggestions. On RV forums
I contribute but I’m a newbie to boating.

Update PROBLEM FIXED. Got the dealer’s tech on the phone and he described the clip/wires that would be the culprit. I found the two ends. They were just not plugged together. One end was buried in the mess of wires under the helm so I had never found it on my first digging. Anyway I plugged them together and now she is 100%! Thank you all on this forum who took the time to make suggestions. On RV forums
I contribute but I’m a newbie to boating.
So the trim switch connection does go through the helm, huh? I guess I stand corrected. Glad you were able to get it working! Enjoy your Benny!

Back