Who's on Lake Norman?

It's gone over 100% twice now in the last two weeks but for some odd reason, Duke refuses to report any number greater than 99.9. WAIT, THIS JUST IN! In my 3 years here they've NEVER reported 100 and I was told they never have before but I just looked and on 6/1 they reported 100% !! I know what 99.9 looks like and I've seen it inches higher than that several times. I guess they finally gave in!

Carl hates when I pull the boat right up on to the grass but I can't help it! It's so much fun!

Thanks for the report, Gents. With what feels like rain everyday for a month straight, we’re taking advantage of today’s weather window. Hopefully there is a little island left for the kiddos to play on or Mr. Carl may find a bunch of toons beached in his backyard.

We call it the front yard since we don't have the traditional "front door". :) We were driving by the dam on Friday afternoon and the water was going over the top. We've never seen that before. An interesting sight with one of the gates open.

We call it the front yard since we don't have the traditional "front door". :) We were driving by the dam on Friday afternoon and the water was going over the top. We've never seen that before. An interesting sight with one of the gates open.
I hope you got a photo of it!

That would have been an interesting ride if the dam blew out while you were right there!!

HI All! We are Benny owners on Lake Norman! If you see a boat out there with great dane parties going on its us! Tough going now though with all the island shores underwater. We live right near Eddies and the new King Canary Brewery. Yall should check it out.

HI All! We are Benny owners on Lake Norman! If you see a boat out there with great dane parties going on its us! Tough going now though with all the island shores underwater. We live right near Eddies and the new King Canary Brewery. Yall should check it out.
Your Harlequin looks like our Zeus in heaven. Welcome to the lake. We're in Denver.

Beautiful pups you have!

I’ve never seen the water as high as it was last week. The water was up to the trees at Playground Island. Hopefully it drops enough to expose the beach by this weekend.

Beautiful pups you have!

I’ve never seen the water as high as it was last week. The water was up to the trees at Playground Island. Hopefully it drops enough to expose the beach by this weekend.
Water level is dropping Chas.

Late to the party here, but we’re new boaters on Lake Norman. We live in Huntersville (( Birkdale Village) and moor at Holiday Marina. Absolutely love LKN.

Being new, we have tons of questions, but learning as we go.

Welcome TH! Headed to the boat as I type myself. My crew are creatures of habit, so we are almost always beached at Playground Island or the island South of Fellowship Point.

There is so much to do, visit, and see on LKN that is takes a while to really get to know the area. Some great people on here who live lakeside to give advice as well!

Welcome to the lake. There is plenty to see and eat. We love the Blue Parrot.

Thank you all! Just love the lake and still trying to learn locations. About the only two places I know are the Sandbar and Cocktail Cove, which we try to avoid. Love the water, but those are a little too much fun for us.
Not sure where Playground Island is. We’ve never been to the Blue Parrot, but want to try it. We typically end up in a little cove on the east side above Davidson College’s lakefront. But, would love to try other spots. We are going out on Monday, so we’ll try to do some exploring...

Darren & Donna

If you're heading towards the Sandbar, hang a right and go upriver. There are a couple of islands on the left. Blue Parrot is just above the 150 bridge. Ask for Summer at the Parrot. She is a great waitress.

Good Morning Lake Norman Folks!

More of a How-To question here , but since we’re all here at LKN... how much winterization effort do you do on your boats? We’re new to boating and will be leaving our benny in the water this winter. With the swings in weather I plan on going out to fish or cruise as often as we can this winter. IMO any day above 50 degrees is an opportunity to fish or sweater up and go for a cruise.

With this in mind, how much should I do to my boat this fall? Understand, I don’t know the first thing yet about winterizing a boat. I winterize my RV with no issues, but a boats a new thing for me. Any advice or directions?

Ours just sits on the lift and I keep the tank almost full with clean gas and stabilizer.

So, nothing more needed than that? It’s a new motor and I’ll be getting the 20hour oil change soon. And, it’ll be lowered down into the water. Just not sure here...

Just keep the motor trimmed all the way DOWN and you shouldn't have a problem. When it's UP a little bit of water gets trapped and could cause problems. Aside from fuel treatment, you shouldn't need to do anything else but check your engine manual to be sure. I'm speaking about the modern 4 stroke outboards.

Little late to the party, but back in the early 2000’s, around 2003-4, I remember seeing all the gates were open. Some site with water over almost all the east part of the dam.

upload_2018-10-5_22-58-47.jpeg

Back