YOUR pontoon ideas!

• Thread starter Retired Team Member1
  • Start date
You should also get a survey from Bennington, I've done a couple, which reminds me, not sure if I did my last one! Oops!

You should also get a survey from Bennington, I've done a couple, which reminds me, not sure if I did my last one! Oops!
hmmm I don't recall getting one from Bennington...(unless it was when I joined this online forum and got the extra 2 year warranty??) I'd love to do a survey! We're happy.

Last edited by a moderator:
It was months after purchasing my Benny when I received my survey

I received my survey a month before I even  took delivery .Dealer received the boat in February ,I took delivery in May ,got the survey in April .

Derrick, while I disagree with you about WS over JL(WS is too metallic sounding for my taste), I agree with you that Bennington shouldn't redesign the boat around the audio supplier. However, I do think Bennington should "invite" their upgraded audio supplier to custom tune (select mounting locations and sound packages appropriate for layout design). It's the attention to details that earned Bennington it's reputation in the industry.

Btw.. Have you heard a loaded Exile package? I got to experience it at the sandbar this past weekend. Holy %&@$, amazing sound! Exile definitely needs MB more than they need them but when people begin to associate the brand with the sound, that dynamic may soon change.
I will correct my statement slightly.  After doing some more reading of reviews and research, the JL does seem to make a solid product for inboats and subs, although it does seem their Marine grade are not near as good as the regular. So I apologize. Now for amps and tower speakers, I will stand by my original statement Wet Sounds kicks butt!! Haha but I can be a big boy and admit my own ignorance. I actually had a JL sub in one of my cars many years ago and loved it! Haha

No apology needed! It's like the Ford/GM debate. You had to go mess it up, though! I was holding my "Wetsounds maybe sounds better playing those Canadian musicians like Bieber or Nickleback." comment to get the ball rollin'. :p

My original post was in hopes Bennington would dump Kicker for perhaps JL or Polk as their standard stereo package due to fact that younger buyers are becoming more discerning about their sound system.

in regards to the upgraded system.... for the 5% of buyers who do upgrade, why not invite Wetsounds to the factory to aid in the setup? I'd imagine someone like you would have appreciated Wetsounds telling Bennington "For best sound clarity/volume, place your inboat cutouts here and here and here. Subwoofer should be installed here for the most optimal sound."

When I do order my next Bennington, I plan to request a stereo delete from the package. That way I can position my own cutouts and fabricate my own angled mounts to direct sound waves from the floor to the ears.

Something like this:
1575_gallery.jpg

No apology needed! It's like the Ford/GM debate. You had to go mess it up, though! I was holding my "Wetsounds maybe sounds better playing those Canadian musicians like Bieber or Nickleback." comment to get the ball rollin'. :p

My original post was in hopes Bennington would dump Kicker for perhaps JL or Polk as their standard stereo package due to fact that younger buyers are becoming more discerning about their sound system.

in regards to the upgraded system.... for the 5% of buyers who do upgrade, why not invite Wetsounds to the factory to aid in the setup? I'd imagine someone like you would have appreciated Wetsounds telling Bennington "For best sound clarity/volume, place your inboat cutouts here and here and here. Subwoofer should be installed here for the most optimal sound."

When I do order my next Bennington, I plan to request a stereo delete from the package. That way I can position my own cutouts and fabricate my own angled mounts to direct sound waves from the floor to the ears.

Something like this:
1575_gallery.jpg
Wow, Bieber, really? Sounds like someone is still bitter about Olympic hockey to me! Haha 

I did some brief searching trying to find aftermarket angle mounts (just a few ebay contenders) but as I was doing this I realized another possible problem with the angle mounts below the seat, and that is the seat opening. I remember Bennington had to stop using the WS XS-650 for a bit because before they had the LED light up behind the tweeter in the XS-650 RGB, they would use LED rings, which then required them to alter the seat hinges I believe because the cushion would come in contact with the speaker grill. Thus, WS altered the design and put the LED behind the tweeter. So one would surmise that an angle mount of some sort may have the same issue. 

Now one issue with the speakers being mounted in the backrest of the seat in would be depth. Unlike normal hull boats, our rails are straight up so to have enough depth that 2 6.5's on angles, could be set back far enough in the backrest to not impede on the comfort, or at allow someone to sit in front if need be would be quite a lot. Plus usually companies build a couple of drink holders into these alcoves as well. Which means that the whole seat base would have to move farther away from the exterior rail to allow for this depth, which also means a reduced width between seats. One other solution I suppose is to put them in the corners, kind of like how the RCW LTD used to be, not sure if it's still called the LTD, but that does take away slightly from the overall look of the front of the boat. I tried doing a brief search through Google images to see what other brands were doing, and most seem to be stuck with the same layout of floor mounted speakers.

It's got to be tough for all the designers at Bennington to try and keep coming up with new, creative ideas. Not to mention all of our wants and needs!! Haha I guess we can all try to help them out. That's kind of what this forum is all about. A melting pot of ideas and solutions to unforseen problems. I hope they still pay attention as much as they used to. Although still no one has told me who to talk to so I can tell them the current design issues with the playpen cover for tower boats on my "fixed" one. 'Tis the season I suppose :)

We're not keeping him!

I had not thought of the hinges hitting the floor speakers. I'm going to take a look and measure next time on her. I got the idea from looking at a friend's Harris, not too long ago. When we were beached together, the sound coming off his stock stereo was so much louder than my 600watt RF powered set up. Onboard, my system was deafening. On shore, I could stand at the bow of my boat and could only hear the subs from my boat and his mids/highs. The only difference was his angled mounts.....

I spent a couple bucks on an all new JL setup so we'll see if I can keep up this time around!

Send him back !!! And give me the CTS-V that West Coast Customs built him ........

We ALL know who's music Derrick really plays on that sound system ..... You've been Bieberized !!!  :wub:

We're not keeping him!

I had not thought of the hinges hitting the floor speakers. I'm going to take a look and measure next time on her. I got the idea from looking at a friend's Harris, not too long ago. When we were beached together, the sound coming off his stock stereo was so much louder than my 600watt RF powered set up. Onboard, my system was deafening. On shore, I could stand at the bow of my boat and could only hear the subs from my boat and his mids/highs. The only difference was his angled mounts.....

I spent a couple bucks on an all new JL setup so we'll see if I can keep up this time around!

We're not keeping him!

Send him back !!! And give me the CTS-V that West Coast Customs built him ........

We ALL know who's music Derrick really plays on that sound system ..... You've been Bieberized !!!  :wub:
Haha, I read that Bieber statement to my wife. I'm not sure if it's because we JUST got home from an AMAZING day on the lake or what, but she sounded like a sailor the profanity coming out of her mouth!!!! Haha 

I knew I had seen this before ,had a hard time finding a pic .

Better fishing rod storage is a must. I had a 22 SSX and the rod holders on the fishing station seem nice at first, but you quickly learn that they are always in the way. That led me to zip tying a PVC rod holder to the side rail until I figured out a better solution to keep them out of the way but still accessible. When I upgraded to a 2275 GCW, I added Taco aluminum 4-rod holders to each side of the stern gate for a total of 8-rods of storage. It looks great and it would be nice to work this in as a factory option across the line (for the fishing models too!). 

Pics and information in this thread:

http://club.benningtonmarine.com/index.php?/topic/4240-fishing-rod-rack/

I'd like to see them offer a marine head as an option. You could put the holding tank in the center tube as they do now with fuel tanks and floor storage. How nice would it be to pull up to a pump out station?

Something like this:
1575_gallery.jpg
My previous boat (Harris) had speakers integrated into the seat backs that was able to accommodate the WetSound 650's.  The biggest problem with this setup is that between people, dog, bags, and towels the speakers were always being covered up.  I like the angled mount inserts to direct the speakers to your desired listening position.

Transparent floor and possibly pontoons. You laugh, I know it can be done. If anything, make it next years one off.

Transparent floor and possibly pontoons. You laugh, I know it can be done. If anything, make it next years one off.
Haha.... I've thought about trying to install a acrylic panel in my floor ........ That would be so cool.

Continuing that train of thought. How about a one way changing room material screen. You can change and still see what is going on!!! Or if your PDX you install it inside out!!

I meant being able to see the girls when they change, not you!!!!

Back