20 Hour Break-In Maintenance

+1 on changing the oil

I would absolutely follow the Yamaha recommendations.  They put those in for a reason.  There is a chance of metal shavings during initial break in.  Not worth the risk of slow long term wear that could have been avoided by this simple and cost effective preventative oil change.

I have a 10 hr break in period on my new Yamaha and my dealer informed me not to worry about the 10 hr maintenance, he said I would be fine until fall?  I guess my question is; does Yamaha use a different oil during the break-in period than after the break-in period?    Am I safe until fall?  

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Jim

You must have heard him wrong. Or he heard you wrong. That suggestion is CRAZY.  Get it changed!

During break in the piston rings are seated in the cylinder creating shavings. Change at the manufacturers suggested interval. And to be honest, I would be leery of that dealer providing the appropriate service in the future. They might just do what they think should be completed vs. what the manufacturer says to do.  

The break in period is also for allowing the gears to harden under a specific amount of load. All gears need this break in time. 

Thank you all for the advice ....I will get it changed.

Kaydano - I specifically asked him about the break in period and serving the  motor and he did say I would be fine until fall.  The only thing I can think of, would be maybe he didn't think I would put 10 hrs on the motor before fall?  I live on the lake, 10 hrs is one weekend.

Again, thanks for everyone's input.

I decided to let the dealer do mine while the motor is still under warranty. At least then if something goes wrong I can say that it was properly taken care of. After the warranty is up I will start to do it myself.

Great info guys. I am one hour from Dealer and it is time for my 20 hr service. Around here they want about $350 for the service.  And that includes putting the boat on a trailer and doing the work in the trailer launch area. But I don't have a trailer so I would be doing it over the water. I do have a lift, but still a balancing act. I'm going to call tomorrow and see if I can get a deal since they have to come here anyway for a warranty item. 

Thanks for all the input. 

It is tough to do on a lift. I turned our boat around but it was still a chore.

/monthly_2017_07/large_121.jpg.5813db1b7c5a479e37e1b597cf6e8ba3.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Why didn't the marina do it when you had it over there?!? Is an outboard oil change expensive?!?

That pic was last year. Now that I can "rent" a trailer it'll be easy.   B)   Plus I have 6 more oil filters in the garage.

Last edited by a moderator:
That pic was last year. Now that I can "rent" a trailer it'll be easy.   B)   Plus I have 6 more oil filters in the garage.

You are welcome to use it any time my boat isn't on it! Is your boat still at Lake Norman Marina?!? Holy crap! 

A guy I play racquetball with has a new R with a 250 on the back. On the 4th of July his motor started right up and he was about 200 yards from his house when it sputtered and quit. Wouldn't start so his neighbor towed him back to the house. (He's 4 houses down from that ramp you towed us to) He called Lake Norman Marina and told them to come get it ASAP and fix it but was told it was a 3 week wait. He said BS called the owner and they came and got it the afternoon of the 5th. It's still there........

You are welcome to use it any time my boat isn't on it! Is your boat still at Lake Norman Marina?!? Holy crap! 

A guy I play racquetball with has a new R with a 250 on the back. On the 4th of July his motor started right up and he was about 200 yards from his house when it sputtered and quit. Wouldn't start so his neighbor towed him back to the house. (He's 4 houses down from that ramp you towed us to) He called Lake Norman Marina and told them to come get it ASAP and fix it but was told it was a 3 week wait. He said BS called the owner and they came and got it the afternoon of the 5th. It's still there........

Boat's on the lift and trailer is in the driveway. We've been having KC quite a bit lately and the weather hasn't been cooperating at this end of the lake.

I picked up my boat yesterday from LNM for the pontoon leak repair. They had each service bay full, but they kept on wanting to do the 20 maintenance on mine. I told them I would wait since I have less than 10 hours on the motor.

No more leakers, but the weld sure is ugly. If it were in a noticeable area, I would be upset.

Anyone know the proper socket size for a Yamaha F115LB's (2014+) drain plug?

Back