2012 2274GL 150 History and Performance Report

Its been almost like summer down here in Georgia the last week. Our lakes are covered with pollen not ice, but still can't wait for the boat to be delivered.
Call from the Dealer today. Boat arrived :p . Motor on its way. Targeting Friday March 30th for splash/sea trial/delivery to slip. So it turned out to be about an 8 week delivery. I was expecting more a 10-12 time frame and that was what the Dealer thought too. With the warm weather, being a little early is great. An Easter cruise looks like it will be in the offing.

I asked; the motor comes with prop. B) Once we get things broken in and see how the RPM vs WOT works out I am going to put a SS prop on and use the aluminum as a spare.

Last edited by a moderator:
Call from the Dealer today. Boat arrived :p . Motor on its way. Targeting Friday March 30th for splash/sea trial/delivery to slip. So it turned out to be about an 8 week delivery. I was expecting more a 10-12 time frame and that was what the Dealer thought too. With the warm weather, being a little early is great. An Easter cruise looks like it will be in the offing.

I asked; the motor comes with prop. B) Once we get things broken in and see how the RPM vs WOT works out I am going to put a SS prop on and use the aluminum as a spare.
That great news. I know you are going to have a blast with it.

That is great news for you, I still have a month of waiting and I don't want to wait any more 8)

We have insured with Boat US for a number of years. Particulary when we lived in FL.

We now reside in TN and all our boating is on inland waters and a non-freeze, non-hurricane State. Many years boating experience and training. Never a boating accident or claim.

Our 2274GL/150HP Yamaha; no trailer and has just arrived at the dealer today so I am shopping for insurance, I got a quote from Boat US for an agreed value policy (45K), full value first year since the boat is new. Boat will be in the water year around quote came in at:

$188 per year. There is also a more "budget" actual value policy for around $145 anually. We received a "no loss" discount of about $45 per year due to no boat no auto accident claims for three years. We also received a $10 "multi-boat discount" bringing the new total to

$178 per year.

300K/$300K Boating Liability/Uninsured Boater Protection

Fuel and other spill liability with Boat US is 854K

There is also included some towing, 250 per event up to $500 per year maximum.

I have a seperate tow policy for unlimited towing through BUS.

Went to the Dealership today thinking the pontoon was there, it wasn't. Supposedly tomorrow. The motor is there.

Talking with the Store Manager about things in general blah, blah, blah. I asked him to predict the 2274GL speed with ESP and 150hp Yamaha, clean bottom (YMMV)........now, I'm not holding him to this.....but.....he said it should tip 40mph. Be interesting to see how well he knows his product(s). Still shooting for delivery Friday....we will see.

Oh how exciting. Boat is at the Dealer and they are rigging.

Delivery tomorrow. Photos forthcoming. B)

Closed on the Bennington today and since the Dealer was on a roll we did the inspection, "sea trial" and delivery. Rain threatened and there was some distant thunder so the 6 miles from the ramp to the marina was expeditious. By the time we got to the slip things had simmered down and there were no showers. I did some of the inspection while the rigging was being finished. Pushing 80 degrees today in East TN with a 6 inch chop.

It was a busy few hours and I grabbed some pictures.

I can see already the playpen cover is going to be a nuisance each and every time. We asked the dealer to provide a quotation for seat and helm covers. Since the floor is vinyl and the carpet is out I'm not that concerned about sun and everything can be hosed. Gray, black, Java with snap in carpet. ESP Package. F150LA Yamaha.

The power assist steering was definitly worth it and it is virtually fingertip control.

P1010008-001.jpg

P1010021-001.jpg

P1010020-001.jpg

P1010024-001.jpg

P1010023-001.jpg

P1010015.jpg

P1010014-001.jpg

Dual Batteries with switch and breaker panel to accomodate the power assist steering pump

P1010002.jpg

Spray Shield

Ran it up briefly to 4000K RPM. Dealer still thinks it will tip 40.

That is one sweet looking boat Smokey. Thanks for putting up the pix, I love seeing the different models and colors

That is AWESOME :rolleyes: . Now I can't wait until May 5th to take mine out. Congrats!

Gerry with that rig you have coming, you should be excited...that is going to be one awesome ride!! You went all out.

How do you like the snap in carpet?

How do you like the snap in carpet?
We haven't used the carpet yet. My wife commented that if she were to do it again she wouldn't have bothered with it.

We were out the other night and one of our guests spilled her entire juicy drink......on the vinyl deck. No big deal. If the carpet would been down it would have been more traumatic for the spiller.

I'm wondering if it will ever see the light of day?

We did order furniture covers. The playpen cover wii be ok for moderate to long term coverage but it is a nuisance when we just want to go to the slip and sit an hour or do a quick cleanup the morning after.

We had a disappointing first week. A pontoon had an imperfect weld and the boat had to be pulled and the pontoon drained, welded and brought back to the ramp and returned to the slip.

We also have to get new Bimini boots as both of ours were not sewed completely.

I like the way the tri with Performance Package handles, the ride is high and dry even with six people on board which is about ideal for a 22. The power assist steering was a great choice as was the larger fuel tank. I'm glad we did the 150hp too.

The changing area was a big hit. I purchased a Lugable Loo porta potti and a couple of the ladies gave it two thumbs up!!

I keep a one quart Tupperware container around for the discrete males and I found a perfect storage place where the fuel tank is molded.

The extended platform is nice for moving around the stern. The aft gate and that deck is an easy egress for me to secure the aft line.

I was thinking for awhile that the raised helm might have been nice....but a boat cushion was about all my 5 11 needed. I like driving standing up occassionaly and the adjustable steering range is great. I'm glad I didn't do the raised helm in retrospect.

2012-04-05_16-05-53_823leak2.jpg

2012-04-05_15-54-57_165leak3.jpg

2012-04-14_15-26-00_518.jpg

Are you glad about not doing the elevated helm because of cost or other reason?

What top speed do you get with driver alone?

I'm waiting for delivery of my 2075GS with ESP and Yamaha 150, very close to what you have I think.

Are you glad about not doing the elevated helm because of cost or other reason?

What top speed do you get with driver alone?

I'm waiting for delivery of my 2075GS with ESP and Yamaha 150, very close to what you have I think.
I don't recall what the raised helm cost, that might have had something to do with it in the final analysis. I did look at non essential items when we added everything and then worked backward.

I'm a firm believer in sitting or standing higher with a better visual which provides the ability to respond to possible problems earlier. I'm 5 foot 10 so sitting on a throw cushion added a couple of inches in height which helps a great deal. Seeing the photos of the raised helm I may have been stumbling on the ledge, or it may have prohibited driving while standing, which I do frequently. Since I haven't tried the raised helm I don't know what I am missing, but I find the layout as is fine, seat adjusts well and in conjunction with the adjustable steering I can maintain a comfortable driving position.

Speed. Since we have about 10 hours on the motor, we are going through the throes of break in.

Trip before last with 150 Yamaha 15X15 1/4, two persons, 27 gallons of fuel, light wind minimal chop, bimini down and measured with a Garmin GPS:

1K RPM 4 mph

2 8

3 16

4 23

I played with the trim and at 4K 23 was the best I could get.

The Dealer thought with clean toons it would do 40mph. Extrapoliting a bit up to 5500 RPM I'm thinking more in the mid 30s. That said, the acceleration is impressive so perhaps with a different prop, 40 might be attainable. Even though our body of water is extensive I don't expect cruising much beyond 25mph. Things aren't that comfortable (stuff blowing around, can't hear music, motor noise etc) beyond that with the exception of covering perhaps a boring 5 mile stretch at a higher speed or outrunning some weather high 30s would be acceptable. Tubers should be happy at 30mph. We don't get crazy towing toys.

Update at 25 hours.

No further negatives and only positives.

We spent three days on Tellico (TN) this Memorial Day Weekend. Fireworks Rock the Dock. Calhouns on Sunday and morning cruise Monday. Water is 80 degrees. After riding the heavy traffic and big boat waves and wakes, I'm really impressed with the Bennington triple toon performance package ride.

Still need to do the speed runs before the pontoons get too coated.

Back