A friend is looking at a 2014 24 SCEX I-O

Sometimes I think it is comments like those you who call S series boat cheap, could maybe be one of the reasons we don't get a lot of members to join or continue on this forum. We all own Benny's here and ripping or down grading S series, well you can kiss my ..........

Just had to vent.

Why is the S the fastest in the line up. Are they lighter because they are less outfitted? Thinner gauge aluminum tubes?

The smaller and thinner seats and the smaller drivers seat and helm looks Not as comfortable as the Q and R series
Mr G, it is all what you want & need on the boat.  My neighbor has an S with a 150 Yamaha that does 42 MPH because he wants to give his grandkids a great tow ride.  After he bought his boat in the Spring when he got on mine he noticed how much less area there was in between the seats.  He has a lot of family and kids on board and he considered my seating a disadvantage due to the lack of floor space between the seats.  I can also tell you this because I have been on his boat many times and for long stretches of time; those seats on his boat are plenty comfortable and plush

Last edited by a moderator:
Link that's an interesting way of putting things. We also own a 2006 2575 RL I/O. This is the "Family Boat" the seats on our 06 R look close to what the seats on the 2014 S look like. And YES the floor looks much bigger on our 06 R because the benches are smaller (not as wide) then on our 2012 Q. So I see your point. Well put. If you had a pretty good sized family I can see how the larger bench seats on the Q or the R and diminished floor space would be detractor. But here on the S the smaller bench seats and larger floor space works perfect for the growing family. So why one would choose a S over a R or Q may have nothing to do with $ but more how it lays out. I have to admit when your used to seeing the Huge helm and giant bench seats on the R and Q the smaller helm and benches of the S look stark, and maby that where cheaper/less expensive comment came into play. I don't think Link or Rocky was trying to say anyone's Benny was cheep. I'm glad Link brought up his story because I think it put it in perspective,

Which is why the Bennington is the best brand out there. Everyone can get the perfect boat for their needs. Just think about all of us on this forum and how we all have different models/floorplans and options. No two boats are exactly the same. 

So is your buddy going to get that one?

Sounds like he is close to pulling the trigger. He has some requests and depending on how they handle it they might have a sale

Keep us updated. And if he does close the deal make sure he joins the forum so we can see some photos of it.

Here are some pics of the Boat

harold1_zpsrzoobjr3.jpg
harold4_zpsvlw6stig.jpg
harold2_zps6gtpuqty.jpg
harold3_zpsaqmhtesg.jpg

I've got no horse in this race...but very much did enjoy the thread. :)

Pull-start...that one got me.

I'd give 50 for it. Those that own S's are the smartest people out there!

Well hopefully he talked them into a full tank of gas and to fix that flat tire! :) looks pretty good! I personally prefer the G or R helm, that would probably be my biggest downfall to the S models. But value wise, you can't beat it. It's still far better than any other brand around!

Friggen S haters! You can option an S just as nice as the other lines. And they are faster!
Yeah, the S stands for "Piece Of ................. Sweetness" ... Lol!!!!

The S is like Ford to Mercury, Toyota to Lexus, .... A little less luxurious, not as many Standard bells and whistles, but just as capable and if needed, beginner budget.

Less costly, to me cheaper denotes poor quality.
Sadly, that's perception, not reality. I'm sure a lot of us are like that. It's what we do by researching the product, that can differentiate us. That's why the Internet is so great. Instant information.

When we went to the Boat Show in St Louis I had a general idea what I wanted but no preconceived notion. As we toured the different models my wife had definite ideas on lay out and the interesting thing is the more opulent the furniture the less room the boats had. We wanted a 22' with a motor that would pull two slalom skiers normal ski speeds. We settled on an SCWX with a few upgrades that in my opinion rival any on the higher end less room 22' boats. Pillow top upgrade on the furniture was a must for the wife. And the reclining loungers are perfect for sunning and for watching the water sports out back. The designer flooring has also been a big hit. Cost was a factor but in the end really didn't matter we could pretty much do what we wanted and function for our growing family was of the most importance ( grand kids). The R and Q look cool but function was more important. Quality is why we bought Bennington not status. Oh and by the way we get compliments on the boat almost every time we take it out.

Let me add that the SCWX I/O will corner like a sonofarascal as well!

Well hopefully he talked them into a full tank of gas and to fix that flat tire! :) looks pretty good! I personally prefer the G or R helm, that would probably be my biggest downfall to the S models. But value wise, you can't beat it. It's still far better than any other brand around!
How did you notice the flat tire???  Were you looking through a microscope?

Wait, I forgot who I'm talking to.  I'm sure you have a 120-inch monitor so the flat tire was life-sized!

My S is good enough for me, and it's so much nicer than my StarCraft that lasted 28 years. 

And despite the 24" cross members on the front 2/3 of S models , I've never seen the front of the boat flex on any wave. 

But I would be hesitant to put any inboard outboard motor in a S model boat.  They should be reserved for the larger, more plush hulls.  Come to think of it, I'd be hesitant to put an I/O in any pontoon boat as they're such a bear to do maintenance and work on.  I spent a small fortune on both my I/O's while my Yamaha 115 hp 2 stroke cost $241 maintenance in 28 years usage.  Modern 4 stroke outboards are so much easier to live with.

I'm still waiting for Derrick to trade in his current boat for a Q with the new Mercury Pro 400 hp outboard.  I'd like to see how many horsepower the tuners can get out of that motor.

Back