Aftermarket 3rd log

With the new center toon why would the max HP rating be the same? Is there one you can get that would afford you a larger motor?

That's the max hull rating sticker applied to boat. Only Bennington could change that allowance, no matter what's done to boat. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Maybe it's all that Mic Ultra.

Let your wife take it out all by herself and see what she gets.

We all know that there is significant drag when there is build up on the toons. Maybe there is a similar challenge in aerodynamics with other aspects of the Captain... perhaps... Maybe that day the captain did not put on his spray tan leaving him less aerodynamic or there were more Mic Ultra's on board?

That's the max hull rating sticker applied to boat. Only Bennington could change that allowance, no matter what's done to boat. 

Thanks. I understand now but that was for a 2 toon boat. He's going to make it a Tritoon. I wonder how much of a PIA it is to change that designation?!?

I would bet that Bennington would not change it ,unless they did the work and supplied the tube .

That was my first thought, contact Bennington and find out IF you purchased a new center toon from them, would they reclassify the max hp. I know that the original point was that this toon was a good deal, but if you had to pay a bit more and have the option to repower later on, might be a worthwhile added expense.

I would bet that Bennington would not change it ,unless they did the work and supplied the tube .

I'd agree with Jack. Unless this was a Bennington dealer item that may have been ordered in error or something, and the dealer would do the work, I'd bet Marks retirement check it ain't gonna happen. 

That was my first thought, contact Bennington and find out IF you purchased a new center toon from them, would they reclassify the max hp. I know that the original point was that this toon was a good deal, but if you had to pay a bit more and have the option to repower later on, might be a worthwhile added expense.

Any luck with the selling of your boat?!?

He might get the Coast Guard to change the capacity tag.

Any luck with the selling of your boat?!?

No, nothing yet. Few emails, bunch of calls from people offering to "sell your boat faster, just pay us $299!!" Haha, not really the right season up north. Mostly just posted online so that if someone was looking around being that it is boat show season, it might give an idea.

No, nothing yet. Few emails, bunch of calls from people offering to "sell your boat faster, just pay us $299!!" Haha, not really the right season up north. Mostly just posted online so that if someone was looking around being that it is boat show season, it might give an idea.

Well good luck to you!

Well got the 3rd log now.  I got a custom transom tube made for $1800.  It's a used tube with a transom fabricated.  The new tube is rated for 200 h.p. but I'm still limited to the 125 h.p. for now.  I will take some pics and post them when I install it in a few weeks.  

Polaris, who rated the new tube for 200HP, are you saying the transom would hold the weight of a typical 200hp motor

Bill's boat stuff is where I purchased it. http://www.billsboatstuff.com/   I went on many other forums to see about adding a 3rd log.  Bill had all positive reviews.  If you are asking if there is a coast guard horsepower rating on it, no.   He sells 2 models one for 120 h.p. and one for 200 h.p.  

So how much will the extra toon weight offset the added buoyancy with the same HP? Not sure if I asked the correctly, but will the current HP push the boat better since it's up on plane faster or will the extra weight of the third toon hold it back to about what it was?

Just trying to learn.... 

The toon is about 250 lbs it has lifting strakes on it and I'm adding lifting strakes to the inside of the outer tubes as well.  I'm just assuming that it will make a difference with the same h.p. as they sell many tri toon boats that have 115 h.p.  engines on them.  I'm sure the end result with me will be getting the boat re-certified for capacities with the title then changing to a home built.  Then I will be able to put a 200 h.p. on it.  I've done some research on this and it is able to be done.  I just do not know the cost of this in WI yet. 

I'm going to follow this. I think this is the first hotrod conversation to a pontoon!

Looking forward to your pictures. Sounds like you have done your homework, good luck with your project.  

This season I'm a new owner to a Used 2014 Bennington 20SLX, max capacity is 10 people if they are all less than 100 lbs. I use it on Lake Hopatcong.  I am experiencing that I can't have many people on the boat on a weekend because it takes on water. I'm even doing weight distribution. I was looking into adding a third tube, or should I add an express tube. I'm not trying to go fast just not trying to sink the boat or limit the riders as much. Would it be worth the ride. The marina stated it wouldn't make a difference? 

Back