Aftermarket 3rd log

Polaris192

Reaction score
Just curious if anyone on here has added a 3rd log using an aftermarket manufacturer.  I can purchase locally one that will fit my 22' 2275 lx with a transom built in it for $2,700.  It also has a 34 gallon fuel cell in it and lifting strakes.   It's a 25" log like my others.

i am more than capable of installing this on my own, and my friend has a fabrication shop.  Just looking to hear some opinions.  Thanks.

I'd like to see a series of photos on that too!  Especially how you do the transom.

Sounds pretty cool. What is the current HP on the boat?

Now that I think about it, the motor pod on my express simply bolts on.  If you have an entire full length tube with transom I'd guess you'd be able to do this.  Post pics!

The current engine is 125 hp.  That is the max on the hull plate.  The boat is in great shape for its age.  It only looks like it has 5 years of use.  I've had it for 2 years now and would like to get a tri toon boat.  It's hard to touch a decent one for under $20k. 

The only bummer in doing this is the max h.p. will still only be a 125 h.p.  

Did Bennington offer the "  Limited lifetime structural warranty and wood component warranty." in 2000 ?

I guess I would have the following questions/comments: 

1. What exactly are you looking to accomplish by adding the third toon?

2. Will the addition of the third toon actually accomplish your goal?

I'm going to assume that by adding a third log, it will probably improve maneuverability, speed and perhaps capacity, but if you're still limited in horsepower, you may not see $2600 worth of improvement, which is what your original question is. I would recommend posting on the following forum as you might find someone who has in fact done it. Good luck...

http://www.pontoonforums.com/index.php

"you may not see $2600 worth of improvement".  Sorry, but that alone tells me it's not worth doing.  If handling does improve and you desire more hp you're still stuck at 125.  Actual capacity will improve but you're still limited to the plate specs.  I want so bad to hop up my trucks but realistically, what does it get me.  I'm not going anywhere near a new truck. $$$. Good luck with it.

I wouldn't say it's not worth the $2600.  Looking to get better maneuvering, the boat will plane instead of plow into waves which makes the ride better.  I'm sure it will gain around 6 mph too.  If I buy a newer tri toon bennington  I'm looking at around another $10-15k for basically the same thing.  If the boat only had a max h.p. rating of 90hp or so I would not even consider it or if my current boat was in rough shape it would be a waste.   

Polaris192, based upon your comments it sounds like it will do what you want it to do and that you'd be happier with your boat in the end. The fact that you can do the work is a bonus and will likely help you get your money out of it someday.

That said, I'd still check out the other board and see if you can actually find someone else that has done it and get their response.

With the 3rd toon with strakes, you probably will get up on plane which will be a huge improvement.   With the same size and shape toon, IMO your maneuverability may not improve.  It might still turn flat and not carve the turn.  With our elliptical boat we can get 40 mph but in a high speed turn you really need to hang on.  It's not a bad plan to upgrade.  Our thought process, was we had a 14 year old pontoon with 14 year old technology and I am tired of fixing it.  We sold the boat for 2/3 of what we had paid for it and now have a boat that I don't have to worry about when we hook it up.   

I wouldn't say it's not worth the $2600.  Looking to get better maneuvering, the boat will plane instead of plow into waves which makes the ride better.  I'm sure it will gain around 6 mph too.  If I buy a newer tri toon bennington  I'm looking at around another $10-15k for basically the same thing.  If the boat only had a max h.p. rating of 90hp or so I would not even consider it or if my current boat was in rough shape it would be a waste.   

May I ask who assured you that you would experience this level of performance increase?

I have the same level of confidence that the increase will fall significantly short of that. Unless it's a magic tube!

With a similar situation I added the express toon to my boat a couple of years ago.  When I first got my boat my WOT was 28mph.  Within a couple of years my WOT had dropped to 26.  Once the express toon was added the first time out I hit 31 and I was delighted.  I will admit that morning when I hit 31 I was alone as compared to my wife being with me and it was very early in the morning and the lake was glass smooth.  Now after having the express toon a couple of years my WOT is in the 27 - 28 range again with me all alone in the boat.

Maybe it's all that Mic Ultra.

Let your wife take it out all by herself and see what she gets.

Maybe it's all that Mic Ultra.

Let your wife take it out all by herself and see what she gets.

Or the 4 layers of spray tan.

I am not unhappy with my performance as I am not a speed guy and what wasn't said was how much better the quality of the ride was once the Express toon was added and IMO especially the Underdeck Wave Shield.  All boats should have the underdecking 

The current engine is 125 hp.  That is the max on the hull plate.  The boat is in great shape for its age.  It only looks like it has 5 years of use.  I've had it for 2 years now and would like to get a tri toon boat.  It's hard to touch a decent one for under $20k. 

The only bummer in doing this is the max h.p. will still only be a 125 h.p.  

With the new center toon why would the max HP rating be the same? Is there one you can get that would afford you a larger motor?

Back