Bennington Floating Key Ring

Jeffrond

Reaction score
Has anyone ordered a Bennington Floating Key Ring recently?

I ordered one of them a long time ago and thought that they would make nice gifts.  I ordered two more of them recently and would be embarrassed to give them away.

My original key chain looks just like the one at https://bennington.four51ordercloud.com/retail/product/BENAS1

gallery_1406_795_2881412.jpg

Notice the nice strap and the chrome key ring.

gallery_1406_795_1964303.jpg

Notice the sewn edges.

The new ones that came look similar, but are not of the original versions quality.  

gallery_1406_795_1277536.jpg

Notice the cheap strap and the cheap plastic key ring(.(EDIT-I looked at the ring again and it is black metal not plastic as I originally thought)

gallery_1406_795_2991964.jpg

Notice the edges are not sewn like the original and also the new cheap filling!  The filling in the original feels to be neoprene and the new filling is cheap styrofoam.  

That styrofoam will age and disintegrate over time and fall out of the unsewn edge.  So much for the floating part of the floating key ring!

In fact when my wife was looking at the new key rings I bought, she bent it and heard it crack.  The styrofoam cracked, and I am sure it will break and fall out.

I just thought I would ask to see if other people were upset with their purchase of the key ring.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'll have to check the one on our key ring but I'm pretty sure it is the old style. That's a bummer if they are cheapening the swag down. I have some gift certificates to use still. Better use them before I just get a needle and thread in the mail to build my own jacket!

I order 2 of them and also was very disappointed. Same as pictured.

I just looked at the Bennington website & it shows a picture of the better keyring with the metal ring, I would call Bennington

One thing to keep in mind, the Bennington merchandise is all completely outsourced to a company, if I remember this all correctly, so they wouldn't probably even be aware that the key chains are different. I am in 100% agreement that the quality isn't even comparable. I would contact them and give them a chance to make it correct. Too bad I live in Canada, my wife and inlaws do embroidery and promotional products for a living, it'd be awesome to be the Bennington supplier, just think of all the swag I'd have!!! Haha not to mention all the cool other products I'd push my wife to do!! Haha

I got mine for free when I signed up to the forum a few years ago and it is laying in a drawer I come across once in a while looking for something that isn't in that junk drawer everyone seems to have in the kitchen. :D

I would be embarrassed to complain about such small insignificant things such as this myself. Just my 2 cents worth just me not trying to stir the pot. :p

When I took delivery, they handed me the keys on the floating key chain that Jeffrond shows above. 

The issue is he paid for a product based on previously having them and the current photo on the site, as the quality has changed, send them back. Has nothing to do with enjoying the boat!!

And Derrick, the banana hammock with the Benningotn logo is probably not as popular as you may think.

I had ordered the floating key ring a couple of years ago and the quality was fine.  Disappointing to hear the quality has dropped, I would think a note to Bennington would be the way to go.  I had also ordered the license plate holder and was astonished at what a POS that product was, cheap and flimsy plastic, not worthy of the Bennington name

Ya figure you put that little key ring on your keys at night, the neoprene fairy might come by and leave some neoprene, am I right?

The point is, how do you know the fairy isn't a crazy glue sniffer? "Building floating key rings" says the little fairy; well, we're not buying it. He sneaks into your house once, that's all it takes. The next thing you know, there's money missing off the dresser, and your daughter's knocked up. I seen it a hundred times.

... But for now, for your customer's sake, for your daughter's sake, ya might wanna think about building a quality product. Please.

Glad I have a couple extra of the old ones!

I realize it's just a $3 keychain (haven't looked at price so not sure about that) but if Bennington is going to pride themselves on quality then I would think they want to extend that to any and everything with their name or logo on it.  Even it they outsource it you would think they would have a say in quality control. 

+1

Ya figure you put that little key ring on your keys at night, the neoprene fairy might come by and leave some neoprene, am I right?

The point is, how do you know the fairy isn't a crazy glue sniffer? "Building floating key rings" says the little fairy; well, we're not buying it. He sneaks into your house once, that's all it takes. The next thing you know, there's money missing off the dresser, and your daughter's knocked up. I seen it a hundred times.

... But for now, for your customer's sake, for your daughter's sake, ya might wanna think about building a quality product. Please.
Man I loved Tommy Boy! Miss Chris Farley, taken far too soon.

Love 

Tommy Boy 

HYSTERICAL 

Pittsburgh-Nighttime.jpg

On The KEY CHAIN 
I feel we are being conditioned to lower our standards

Quality, Pride In Workmanship, Standing By A Product  are now PASSE

Its in everything we do, buy , drink and eat 

I am reminded of this fact with everything I do anymore 

As long as The Benny's are Guaranteed for 7 Years 

I AM HAPPY !

Just My Humble Opinion 

It's a key ring....enjoy the boat!
I think the point being made in this thread is more one of principal...

I agree with Pitts. Everything is going downhill, not just keychains. Thanks China.

When my daughter was 5 or 6, she asked me "Daddy, why is everything made in China?" She had seen it on just about everything in our house. I really hadn't thought much about it until she said that. She's 16 tomorrow. I will remind her she said that 10 years ago...

Back