Boating and Babies

lakeliving

Reaction score
[SIZE=medium]So our family is growing by one! We’re expecting our first child in July and I’m curious about bringing the baby on the boat.  How long did you wait before taking a baby out on the water? I’m hoping we’ll still get out post birth and enjoy the water as it is a short walk to the dock and we can get back home quickly.  [/SIZE]

The owner from our marina said that they used to just put the bassanet on the floor with the baby in it and the baby would fall asleep like in the car! We have a new grandson & We were asking about life jackets for a baby. He said they did not put one on the baby in the baby seat, but the law in Ma. Says everyone under 12 must have one. We will be interested to hear also what others have done.

Congrats! I know nothing on the subject, but it seems to me like there couldn't be a better boat for a baby than a pontoon. 

Congratulations!!!

We took our son out at 4 weeks old. We loved taking him out that young because he'd fall asleep with the hum of the motor and stay asleep as long as it was running. My wife was usually holding him the entire time because the life jackets are too bulky for them to lay down on the floor or a car seat. My son will be 3 in April and he loves the boat! He asks me almost every day when we can go out on it. Enjoy making those memories!

Huge Congrats.

Here is the obligatory eye-roll response...ready?

Duct tape and velcro.

[SIZE=medium]So our family is growing by one! We’re expecting our first child in July and I’m curious about bringing the baby on the boat.  How long did you wait before taking a baby out on the water? I’m hoping we’ll still get out post birth and enjoy the water as it is a short walk to the dock and we can get back home quickly.  [/SIZE]
Congrats, you two are in for some fun now!

Our granddaughters were out on the boat at less than 3 months, if I recall.

Now the real response.

Huge Congrats!

Infant life jackets are readily available. There is a size for "less than 50 pounds" if I remember right. They're bulky, but the law is the law.

We have had our kids out on the boat since before they were born. Never was it even a consideration that there would be a pause to our boating addiction. I have a hunch you'll be the same way.

In hindsight, our kids turned out very durable and very flexible. We didn't do the "have to be home at 2 so the kids can nap" thing. We know lots of people who did establish those non-negotiable routines. With the kids all grown up now (19 and 22), I can confidently say that the lack of routine made them more enjoyable as they grew up. Everyone is different and YMMV and I would be laughed out of every parenting forum everywhere for offering any stitch of advice to a any new parent. But we didn't pause our life. We just added a little bundle to our carry-on assortment. Until there were 2. And then we added a 2nd bundle to our carry-on assortment. 

Both of my sons are as addicted to boat-days as I am and it's true glue for the family. We couldn't be happier about the choices we made to make family time and boat time synonymous. Every year. All year. From birth to today. Not boating was not an option for us.

Best to you and your mate. What a ride! Congrats.

Congratulations Andy !

Congratulations! Our grandson was born February 2014 and he was on the pontoon when we put it in mid May. About 3 months old. We did put the smallest life jacket on him and someone was always holding him. We would have felt fine bringing him on earlier if the boat had been in.

Congrats Andy.

Congratulations!!!! Nothing better! As for the boat, do as you normally would, only be more careful and protect her/him, or them from the sun. Precious cargo!

Thanks everyone. I know we have some small life jackets for Kristina's cousins kids that have been on the boat. If I remember right it has a big flap behind the head hole to ensure the head is heald out of the water. I Was hoping to be on the water within two weeks as a family but maybe I'm being a little premature.

I almost lost the stern cup holder off the rear lounger while doing some spirited driving so I better get my full throttle runs out of the way before baby comes!

Congrats Andy! Don't worry about WOT because the baby will be sleeping.

Congrats Andy!! We have an infant jacket too. Plus babies can back float naturally. Sun burn will be the biggest threat. Gotta bat 1000 on that. Even under the bimini shade you get water reflected UV from the sides.

You should have called this thread "Babies and Boating".

"Boating and Babies" is how you got into this predicament. Ha ha.

Last edited by a moderator:
Congratulations Andy!  I would have to imagine that you don't want to bring the baby on board too young to protect the boat.  Things like throw up and poop could ruin the seats rather quickly.  I might suggest that you look into some sort of a sidecar attachment like the motorcycles use.  I would think they are readily available as you can't be the only young gun with an infant.  Best of luck :D

Now I know why you guys all ordered center toon storage!

Start 'em early is our motto!

We've had many a cruise with the little effers screaming their lungs out, but it gets better, Andy.

Both my kids and both my grandkids are boat babies/kids/adults. It's the greatest!

Congratulations to both of you !!!!

Back