I have the box anchor and highly recommend it. It holds my boat most secure. This includes my deck boat prior and now the bennington. I always have my bimini up and have not had any issues in breezy conditions. I have only had one strange issue with it. I somehow got it stuck on a rock. I couldn't budge it, so I decided to have a bit of fun. I told my 6ft 4inch gym rat son to pull up the anchor. He couldn't budge it and I got to give him a hard time. Anyway, I fired up the boat and swung the stern up wind and it came right up.

Cheers, Steve

FWIW - We have a Rocna 10 (22lb) on our 31' boat that weighs around 12,000 pounds and have never pulled that anchor out.  We have been in storms with winds over 40mph, large swells and wakes and have had no problems.  We also sleep in the boat while on the hook and trust the Rocna completely.  I don't have a box anchor, so can't comment on their performance but I do stand behind Rocna.

Here's a link to their sizing chart. 

http://www.rocna.com/product-range/sizing-guide

I would also not be worried about not having a chain rode in a pontoon.  In a larger boat with more weight behind it I can see the value.  The main purpose of the chain for the Rocna is to help it set quickly.

Just my .02

J

Still trying to figure out which one I want....the Rocna or the Vulcan.

Still trying to figure out which one I want....the Rocna or the Vulcan.
I am thinking of giving the box a shot. The small version for my boat. I exchanged sine emails with them and they guarantee its success. Lifetime guarantee is what they stated or money back. Even if I don't like the way it smells, and that's a quote. So if it turns out not to suit my needs, I am not out $140+ and try another one.

My boat isn't as large as many of the posters here, so I hope it will do just fine.

Well if that's the case I'm sending mine back.

I'm sure you'll be fine with it. I've read tons of posts on here from people with 23' or smaller vessels who've been quite happy with it.

Yea, being a 21slx, it's not very big.

Order of email is latest reply to the original. I copied it from my email fir anyone who cares to reference it.

Slide anchor:

Yes. Lifetime. If you don't care for the way it smells, return it. For deals I would check out overtons.com. They run specials on free shipping and discounts occasionally.

Ryan

Me:

Sent: Tuesday, March 1, 2016 5:56 AM

To: slideanchor@msn.com

Subject: Re: Question from website

What kind of guarantee? Like, if I am not completely satisfied, money back? Any promotional codes available?

Slide anchor:

On Mon, Feb 29, 2016 at 5:13 PM -0800, "Ryan Dvorak Slide Anchor" <slideanchor@msn.com> wrote:

........guaranteed

Sent from my iPhone

Me:

On Feb 28, 2016, at 11:53 PM

How does the box anchor preform in weeds? I get all types of bottoms where I go (sand, gravel, mud, clay) and weedy bottoms I have the worst time with.

I've got a GCW 2575 and purchased a Fortress FX-7 aluminum anchor which according to the manufacturer is pushing the limits for this product. However, it works great on our inland lake (sand/marl bottom) and has held in 20+mph sustained winds. A bit pricey ($99.00) in my opinion but totally worth it. It weights only about 4 lbs. but has the holding power of an anchor of twice the size/weight. It can be quickly assembled/disassembled and kept it in a storage bag if desired. My wife noticed immediately how light it is and easy to set or retrieve. I highly recommend this product!

Man I dunno....certainly not calling you a liar or anything but I'd have to see that for myself before I bought an anchor that small to hold my freight-liner. 

Man I dunno....certainly not calling you a liar or anything but I'd have to see that for myself before I bought an anchor that small to hold my freight-liner. 

Yeah, I hemmed and hawed about the purchase for at least a week but in the end, the next size up would not fit as easily where I wanted to store it on the boat. I figured if it didn't work I'd sell it on Craig's List, but much to my satisfaction, it worked like a charm during a day long blow back in June. The wind was so strong that it was "misting" the top of the waves. While it may not work for every application, I'm a happy camper.

Here's a link to a recent Boattest.com review: http://www.boattest.com/view-news/5230_fortress-fx-7-anchor.

Yeah I can most likely store the next size up (FX-11) in my center tubs storage area (where my huge box anchor is at now) but man that thing is huge (FX-11) although at 7lbs it's WAY lighter than my box anchor.

EDIT:  Oh never mind....I was going by the photo of that lady holding that huge anchor thinking that was the FX-11 but now I see the measurements.....if you're really that happy with it I'm going to order that (the FX-11) because that is so much lighter than my huge box anchor.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah I can most likely store the next size up (FX-11) in my center tubs storage area (where my huge box anchor is at now) but man that thing is huge (FX-11) although at 7lbs it's WAY lighter than my box anchor.

That's why in the end I took a risk and opted for the smaller version. Obviously, you're a few hundred pounds heavier than I am so the FX-11 might be the way to go and I think you can fold that one up as well. 

I just emailed the owner of the box anchor who I actually spoke to on the phone 2 years ago letting him know I am still very unhappy with the product.  Back then he agreed to buy it back from me but I agreed to try his suggestions of different angle of the line, different line type and even purchased that 'bungee' type of cord to attach to the anchor line he suggested.  Hopefully he still agrees to buy it back from me so I can it that money to purchase the FX-11.  :D

EDIT:  Oh never mind....I was going by the photo of that lady holding that huge anchor thinking that was the FX-11 but now I see the measurements.....if you're really that happy with it I'm going to order that (the FX-11) because that is so much lighter than my huge box anchor.

LOL! Yeah, the FX-11 is not that big! I purchased mine at West Marine so I was able to compare both versions side-by-side. The FX-11 is just enough bigger that it wouldn't really fit my storage area. I've always used a fluke style anchor and I like them. I almost bought another steel version until I saw the Fortress. Even at over twice the price of metal, it really is worth it to me. Lifetime guarantee as well. My wife would never touch the old one due to its weight, but she jumps right in with this one. 

but she jumps right in with this one. 

Now the truth comes out.....you are using the anchor and your wife to hold the boat in place!!!

Wow....the owner of box anchor just emailed me back stating he'd be happy to buy it back and refund me the full price.  Provided me with the address to send it to in AZ.  That's backing your product I'll say that much.

Wow! Great company for sure!

Now I really have to make up my mind on either the Vulcan/Rocna or Fortress.

Now I really have to make up my mind on either the Vulcan/Rocna or Fortress.

I know nothing of the Vulcan you mention but I'm very pleased with my Fortress. Good luck with the decision.

Back