Bulldogs Cadillac's loss

Thanks for sharing that, Derrick. I shed a few tears myself just reading it. My oldest pup Nikita (the one in my profile pic) is turning 14 this year and she's falling apart. She has dementia, crippling spinal arthritis, fecal incontinence and hearing loss but is otherwise hanging in there. Fortunately, her flavor of dementia is a very happy one so even though she doesn't seem to know what's going on, she's enjoying herself. Anyway, I've been fearing the day she goes for the last 6 or 7 years since she first started turning grey. It's crazy how we see them go through their entire life spans in such a short amount of time and they see us virtually unchanged. But the magic they bring into our lives makes it all worthwhile. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Well here comes a bunch of pics!

gallery_696_921_1580775.jpg

gallery_696_921_588728.jpg

gallery_696_921_327676.jpg

gallery_696_921_35783.jpg

gallery_696_921_6979476.jpg

gallery_696_921_5157903.jpg

gallery_696_921_1745846.jpg

gallery_696_921_40021.jpg

gallery_696_921_680143.jpg

gallery_696_921_2754067.jpg

He was a real good looking dog. Very regal. Your dogs get a better breakfast than me!

I always liked seeing dogs do the agility path, they are unbelievable good at it.  They must love it as they always look eager to do it

Great looking dogs! I'm sure that although your hearts are breaking now, that all of the great memories you have of him will bring many smiles to your faces.

Such awesome pictures -- thanks for sharing.  Lots of obvious love there.

It hurts so bad because it was that good!

Thanks so much for the pics & feel free to post every single one you have.

I promise that we'll enjoy them all!

Thanks for sharing fantastic pictures of special moments with your kids!

Those are great pics!!!

Your photos are on par with Bcpnick and another guy we won't mention that I have on ignore.

I read every word of your post Derrick.  Thanks so much for sharing that with us.

As I said, I just put my boat friend down last spring and know EXACTLY what you are going through/feeling.  Nothing but time will help.  I still miss my buddy.  I did get another dog (exact same breed) this past August and although I love spending time with him, there is no way he will ever replace my last dog (Luke).

From a few years ago:

gallery_300_298_563848.jpg

He ended up getting laryngeal paralysis....normally when a dog breathes, the vocal cords open and close....when you have this disease, they don't....they remain closed....so it's like sucking air through a straw.  I cried like a 4 year old when I put him down and I'm not the least bit ashamed to admit that.  I will say that I am very happy he lasted as long as he did because I thought he would have to be put down before that....at least I got some more boat rides in with him....even capturing the last one on video....as he took his place where he always would sit.....right on top of the sundeck.  We had him cremated as well....had the paw print done too. I imagine I will always miss him. 

Like you, I did obedience training....but not agility (although I always wanted too).  I also field trained him myself and the only thing I enjoyed more than boating with him was upland bird hunting with him.

Like I said, time will heal....it will....but it sucks getting to that point.  A new dog will also help because you will keep busy with training it and sharing your affection for it.

They say every man who owns dogs will be blessed with one exceptionally fantastic dog.....safe bet Luke was that one for me.

Not at all trying to hijack this thread....merely letting you know there are others who know exactly what you are going through.

Dogs are the definition of unconditional love.  You can not understand until you have one.  It is a honor and responsibility to care for them.  Remember the time you shared.

:p Now Link, cats are a different breed.  I would send you mine by Express Mail to fill the void in your life.

Thanks to all for their kind comments, and for sharing your own personal losses. I know things will get easier in time. I think until we get all the "first time" little things out of the way, there's still more tears to come! This weekend it was taking our dog out for a walk on a snowshoeing trail in the National Park. We were still at home and went to grab Lulu's jacket and we still have Gibson's hanging beside it. But all we can do is cry, and keep going on for Lulu. Thanks again everyone.

Oh and I'm pretty sure if I posted EVERY picture of Gibson I might crash the server! We take a LOT of doggie pics!! Haha

I don't know about anyone else but I can't wait until there are more days like this (that's my Luke on the right...put down 1 year and 3 weeks ago yesterday, and the foxy looking dog was ours as well....put down exactly 1 year ago yesterday.  Yup...we had to put BOTH of our dogs down within 3 weeks of each other last year):

gallery_300_298_24394.jpg

I would live with Link as a cat in my next life if he had good treats, fed me mich ultra, and took me out on his boat once in a while!

On a different note, if cats were the size of dogs, you would not be able to keep them as pets.  They would kill you, and eat you.

Cats are psychopaths. They kill something and throw it around/play with it before eating it. Could you imagine a man doing this with a turkey/fish/deer etc? You'd be locked up!

Here are some more!

Well, we finally picked an urn for my big guy Gibson!  We actually had it custom made by our breeder of Lulu (our other Ridgeback)!! She does amazing clocks and her significant other does some beautiful furniture. It's a picture that I had posted here of Gibson standing up on a ridge. The box is all done in walnut and she used birds eye maple to create the silhouette! She just finished it and will be shipping it out shortly. I can't say enough nice things about her. She is a dog person to the core and completely understands what they mean to us. I will try and post a link to her Etsy pages, 

https://www.etsy.com/ca/listing/508585550/large-urn-ossuary-custom-urn-for-melissa

https://www.durumtempus.com/

http://etsy.me/2n2lFfi

IMG_20170402_162148.jpg

IMG_20170402_162129.jpg

Back