Changing rooms/portapotties

Do you have a changing room on your Bennington?

• Yes

Votes: 82 78.1%
  • No

Votes: 23 21.9%

• Total voters
Andy, the porta potty has a "bowl" just like a regular toilet but its dry.  It has a holding tank underneath.  It has a little 2-inch hole that opens when you press a lever. You are supposed to pump the liquid anti-stink and rinse the poop down the hole.  Good luck with that. 

Then its all in the tank.  I can imagine trying to dump the stuff out.  Again, I never used mine, but just looking at it, I couldn't see how I would not have to use gloves and then have to pressure wash the whole thing inside and out to make sure it didn't smell like, well, you know, crap.

A dry bag with the gel powder is a SOOOO much better idea.

But, to each his own.  Just giving my 2 cents.

http://www.amazon.com/Bumper-Dumper-Original-Mountable-Portable/dp/B006IVN03O/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1426027451&sr=8-2&keywords=trailer+hitch+toilet
91WOMUDsaDL._SL1500_.jpg

To be honest, we just use a kids bedroom plastic toilet. Sits about 8 inches high with removable bowl and the doozie bag mentioned above.

Been considering this http://www.amazon.com/Reliance-Products-Collapsible-Portable-Toilet/dp/B0024OAQ3Q/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1426030828&sr=8-2&keywords=camp+toilet+portable

As it has taller legs.

Porta potty was too much work cleaning when one of kids had a emergency. Also we keep packs of baby wipes (costco brand) everywhere. Better than tp and great for wiping down hands and seats

I forgot about the baby wipes!!! We keep plenty on board. Good for cleaning spills, cleaning the table, wiping hands before eating and after, etc. We used them last summer to clean up a spilled container of chip dip. And oh yeah, they work much better than paper for wiping behinds too. A roll of toilet paper does not stay dry long enough to get used.

I've gotta throw in my .02 on the portapottie vs. bucket & wag bag debate. I've used all of the above and I much prefer a nice water-based portable toilet. By a huge margin. It's natural to assume that the poop sealed up in a bag with the enzymes won't stink, but that is not the case at all. Those things are almost worst than just smelling the real stuff if you ask me. I've used them with 5-gallon buckets, in groovers for river float trips and even packed them out in places like the Zion Narrows. Nothing like hiking for miles with a bag of you and your buddy's poop inside dangling around the back of your pack! No matter how good the bags are, no matter how many enzymes, etc. they say are in them and no matter how good you seal them up, they stink. I guess when the bucket or groover is sealed, you're okay, but opening it up to put another in is enough to knock me over in the morning. 

When we bought the boat, we bought the nicest portable toilet we could find; the Thetford Curve. I was pretty grossed out about having to deal with cleaning and emptying, but it's been a piece of cake. Most of the time I use a clean/dump station at Lake Powell which is beyond easy. Just dump it and there's a spray nozzle there for washing out the stragglers. I don't worry at all about actually CLEANING inside it though. Next time we head out, I add a little bottle of chemical and some water and it's all good. No stink, no problems. When it gets full, sometimes you can catch a whiff if it's like right outside the tent when it gets flushed but it's not bad and it's over quick. Nothing like a 3 day old wag bag that's been roasting in a bucket or groover. 

To give you an idea of how air tight these things are, my buddy took mine on a trip into Canyonlands recently. He liked it so when he got back home at an altitude of over 7000' ASL he went to show his wife. When he moved the flush mechanism, the pressure build up from elevation gave them a rough surprise. :wacko: But for the entire 5+ hour drive home that was right inside his SUV and you couldn't smell a thing. 

One more story and then I'm done preaching about the my magical crapper. When I went down to the lake in January, I 'made a deposit' and then brought it home and totally forgot about it. I just got it out again to take camping and remembered that it's been in there for nearly 2 months now (temps in the 40's-60's). I decided to test and see how bad it is so I opened the flusher and took a good whiff... and nothing! Not even a little smell. I added some water and took it out on a trip and now I'll finally clean it out this week if necessary. The chemical solution you add to these things is really impressive. Easy at home too, I just fill it up with water, then walk it in and dump it in the toilet. Repeat once or twice if it was a pretty full load. It forces the toilet to flush and all the business is long gone before you even get a chance to smell it. 

Keep in mind that we do use this for multiple days out on the lake, not just for an emergency. In that case a wag bag would probably be better if it's a rare thing. 

I like mine so much it got a name...

IMG_0770.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Whats that on the lid ? :eek:  ( not the dog )

IMG_0770.JPG

Good point Nick. Sounds like at a certain amount of use and volume, it makes more sense to have your setup. I think we only used two bags all of last boating season and they are in the dumpster within a couple hours.

Hmmmm.... Did I throw that last one away??? Might still be on the boat...

OK, so as of today, 50 owners have weighed in on the poll. Here's a summary. Please note: The numbers didn't all add up. This may be because there was confusion caused by the fact that every answer in this poll had to be answered. I added a "does not apply" option, but that didn't solve everything.

74% of owners who responded to the poll have a changing room on their boat. 26% do not.

Of those owners who report having a changing room on their boat, 54% stow a portapottie in it. 43% reported they did not. The numbers do not add to 100%. See above.

The poll falls apart at this point. While just 13 owners reported not having a changing room on their boat, 28 voted on the 3rd question. Clearly the creator of this poll needs to work on his poll design methods. Regardless of how many answered (and for whatever reason), three times as many owners did not wish they had a way to have a portapottie on board as did wish they had a way (21 vs. 7).

So, as a short summary, based on this poll, a large majority of Bennington owners have a changing room on their boat, but just over half stow a portapottie under it. A large majority of those without a changing room do not wish they had a way to store a portapottie on board. It would be safe to conclude that Bennington owners tend to reflect the present trend (reported by manufacturers) that demand is low for changing rooms (especially for the purpose of stowing a portapottie).

Just think 25% of Benny owners use other means other than a BUCKET OR PORTAPOTYTY,  add that to all other boaters and  swimmers and guess what you get when you go swimming. The thinking Human. TOP of the FOOD CHAIN.

I find this poll to be malodorous. The stench that this thread has created is just plain offensive and foul. It just reeks. The rank, or should I say, ripe atmosphere that has stunk up this discussion is reflective of a crappy interlude. :lol:

Cheers, Steve

I find this poll to be malodorous. The stench that this thread has created is just plain offensive and foul. It just reeks. The rank, or should I say, ripe atmosphere that has stunk up this discussion is reflective of a crappy interlude. :lol:

Cheers, Steve
Why must you poo poo on this topic? Lol

Cheers, Steve
LOL. I thought CCanDo was back on the forum for a minute... What happened to that guy? I always had to read each of his posts three times and Google a couple words to even halfway understand them.

Best use of a noodle I have seen!

Now available with WIFI  :lol:

Wow, 3 pages on potties. You guys need to get out more.

Back