Cost of Horsepower

Thank you Link

Life's progression usually includes, for most Americans, school, career, marriage, home purchase, children and then life's extras if your lucky. Once the kids are raised and educated, the nest gets empty and a new chapter begins.Many of us choose to continue working. We acquire more toys, build our cash reserves and look forward to retirement one day. The question on my mind was when does that day come? When is enough enough? Do you need a million, two million or do you need time, life's simple enjoyments. Many work with that day in mind but never get out fast enough to enjoy the dream. Of-course it is an individual decision. Some never retire, others pass long before that day comes. 

Enjoying life before retirement is imperative for me , unfortunately Corporate America has other plans for most. Working 16 plus hours 6 days a week has become the norm. So my dream was lake Living 24/7/365 no stress, no clocks and no pressures. Enjoying life's daily miracles is my quest,  though many due to careers become blind to the beauty in life. I have friends who say they are busier in retirement than when they worked. One even says he doesn't know where he ever found the time to work before retirement. Others miss the daily routine, for me my love , my passion is Lake Living with family and friends. Fortunately the numbers allow retirement at this young age and I truly believe I was ready to take the plunge. I have to say it took me 8 minutes to acclimate to retirement (lol) The one thing I keep in mind is that if unsatisfied work is always there to return to. As the government and society keeps advancing the acceptable age to retire, I chose to get out the earliest possible. Now camp fires, boating, photography, sitting on the dock with family and friends is the life I choose to live. I may not drive Mercedes or visit Europe each summer but I am happy beyond compare with what nature gives us for free year after year.

WhoCaresRetiredClock.jpg

As Jackie Gleason Once Said 

"How Sweet It Is"

Last edited by a moderator:
I would say 60 HP is nowhere near what a 21 foot pontoon should have. I have a close friend with a 19 foot pontoon and a 60HP Merc outboard and he gets pissed every time he uses it because it is so under powered.

Pontoons are notorious for guzzling gas in general and too small of an engine makes it a lot worse. Besides increased fuel consumption you will see that the smaller motor makes the boat hyper-sensitive to added weight. Bringing on board even one additional adult and a loaded cooler will make the boat significantly slower, increase the already poor fuel consumption rate and also have a major impact on the longevity of the engine - which usually manifests itself in worn out cylinder walls due to how hard the motor has had to work. 

In other words, the only good thing about the 60 HP engine is the initial cost - everything else is bad.

I know it's not my money here, but even if it were, I would spring for the extra cash for the 90 HP outboard - it will make the boat a whole lot more enjoyable.

......................................................................................................................................................................

Well that sums it up . calling the dealer Tuesday he is closed on Mondays.

Going with the Yamaha F90

It just makes more sense

I just had to be ok with the extra cash 

In June I will be happy with the 90 and forget about the small cost increase

Better safe than sorry 

I have no doubt that is the right decision.....hmmmm, should you consider the 115 :rolleyes:

I have no doubt that is the right decision.....hmmmm, should you consider the 115 :rolleyes:
I would agree with that also .

Once you get to the 90 the 115 is not that much more .

And, the 115 is a downright frugal motor to run. You'll see almost 6 mpg through portions of the torque curve.

You know what that say. Go big or go home.

Called the dealer this morning and left a message.

Dealer called me back this afternoon, I asked if I could compare a Yamaha 90 

with the T60 on day of pick up just to be sure which to choose. He said he was not 

sure if he would have the F90 in stock (lol)

He said even to get one now may be difficult  WTH?

He said he would install whichever I chose. 

Spoke with him about my concerns and then I called Yamaha !!

After speaking with a knowledgeable rep I called dealer back and did the upgrade.

He called Yamaha and was told the F90 will be at his showroom in 10 Days.

It is better to have to much HP than not enough. With 6 - 8 adults on board routinely 

I don't want to be sluggish while cruising and regretting my decision. 

Now I am happier with my choice.

75481719.jpg

Lets hope everything comes together by May 1st

You'll be really happier with the 90 for your usage. My neighbor had one on his 25' and it worked really well, even occasionally pulled up a young (small) wake boarder.

A 4 stroke Yamaha  90 will give me all I need 

I feel more confidant in my decision due to this forum and the discussion with the Yamaha Rep

It is true, why buy a great boat (for my lake) and equip it with a substandard motor

Now cruising at 15 - 18 mph with 6-8 adults is assured 

75180755.jpg

halveb,

LOL 

I truly love taking pics

Thanks to retirement I have all the time in the world to do so

218377_smiley_face_camera.jpg

Spoke with Bennington today 

My Boat is in Shrink Wrap 

There are 4 Boats ordered by dealer

The last of the four is being built

Then they will all be delivered to dealer.

They are unable to estimate delivery due to uncertainties in Build to last.

87021055.jpg

This was a complete surprise to me 

Once again I don't ski. really don't want to pull a skier but I was surprised

At least I know if I want to pull a tube with the 90 HP I can  :)  

Jill single skied behind our 22' toon with a 90hp.  You can get up and ski.  if you notice in the video how deep the ski is in the water, which demonstrates how slow he is going.  Our boat will only do 14 mph with a skier.  It is no fun and we only did it once.  You can drag a tube but the rider will not be thrilled. 

lol

I am happy not doing either

They make speed boats, jet boats and deck boats to do that 

We chose a pontoon for what it does

I have seen some fast pontoons on you tube 

but here at our lake 

90 hp will do what i need to do 

cruise with 6-8 adults on board 15-18 mph 

that will make me happy 

a-happy-smiley-face-button-vector-175748.jpg

Tubing is the tougher challenge if you ask me. We typically have 3 tubing at once, and pull it 7-8 mph faster than a skier. Most of the time we pull a skier using two skis, which is even more easier. The video only has 3 in the boat. I'd like to see what that 90 can do with 8 or 10 in the boat. Our 115 was embarrassingly slow pulling a tube with that load.

Not saying the 90 is the wrong choice for you, just saying this for others that might read this and think a 90 is enough for exciting tubing.

Don't worry pghpa611, I have a 20hp on a 22Rli and I'm quite happy. Kayakers can pass me when I'm at full throttle ... LOL !!!!

Yeah but they're sweating and you're not SemperFi

AND you're drinking a cold beverage while doing it! 

True, good point guys ..... and I can stand up and walk around. :D

Back