Cost of Horsepower

True, good point guys ..... and I can stand up and walk around. :D
Well not while your driving!! Sheesh, with all that hp she might get away on ya! 

Not sure why, but this clip popped into my head

Sorry, all in jest!

Life is short and health is never guaranteed

So many of my friends passed before getting around to doing what they love

I may not be in Europe every summer

I don't drive BMW or Mercedes 

BUT

I am enjoying every second of life to the fullest

Well said Pittsburgh, well said. Our theory is you can't take it with you so spend it while you got it. We have no kids, so if we go together, the SPCA gets everything we own.

A 4 stroke Yamaha  90 will give me all I need 

I feel more confidant in my decision due to this forum and the discussion with the Yamaha Rep

It is true, why buy a great boat (for my lake) and equip it with a substandard motor

Now cruising at 15 - 18 mph with 6-8 adults is assured 

75180755.jpg
I think the 90 is definitely the right choice.  We have a 60 on our 18 foot, and that was the largest it was rated for.  We have had four on the pontoon, but usually it is just my Wife and myself.  Top cruising speed is 18 mph and honestly that is a comfortable speed.  I had a Hurricane deck boat and Proline and both would cruise around 35 with 115 hp.  About the only time I ran the deck boat full throttle was in the middle of our lake.  The Proline I used in the gulf and never ran it wide open.

That was a huge factor for me 

If I would of stayed with the 60 

Running it all out at full throttle

Would shorten the life span of motor

With the 90 I can run it easier 

And get the results I need

It may also use less gas at cruising speed. My 150 uses less gas than my 115 did at 15 mph.

Current Motor: 150 HP (2013) Mercury Fourstroke with 15x15P SS Enertia (Thanks Todd!)
42 MPH at 5800 RPM, light load, 0-20 mph: 5.1 seconds. 
39 MPH at 5700 RPM with 9 people (mostly teenagers), full tank of gas, full cooler. Minor loss of top speed under heavy load.

I really like those numbers as you said not much of a difference or drop with the full load on board

I am hoping that 15 - 18 mph is achieved with full load without being at full throttle

At least going to 90 I feel more confidant 

I can see how easy it is to go bigger 

Like anything I have to keep it in reality 

Our marina here will once again sell marine gas like 90 octane 

Their gas will have no ethanol which is better for boat motors

A little pricey but worth it ...................

Yamaha Offers Help with Ethanol Fuels TRY THESE METHODS OF KEEPING YOUR FUEL SYSTEM CLEAN WHILE IMPROVING THE PERFORMANCE AND LONGEVITY OF YOUR MOTOR.By: Rick Murphy

The use of Ethanol (E-10) fuel versus non-ethanol fuel has become a concern with a lot of boaters these days, particularly if you have an older Yamaha outboard motor like the 115 h.p. carbureted Yamaha outboard I have on my 18 Hewes Bonefisher in the Bahamas. The main concerns with fuel containing Ethanol is that they tend to attract moisture, dissolve hoses and fiberglass gas tanks and also that Ethanol (E-10) is not as efficient as Ethanol free gasoline.

It’s been recently proven that non-ethanol fuel gets better gas mileage than Ethanol (E-10) fuel. An outboard burning 93 octane Ethanol (E-10) fuel has less combustion, and thus less horsepower than a non-ethanol 90 octane fuel. That means the non-ethanol fuel is going to give you better gas mileage, less problems and better performance between oil changes.

Last edited by a moderator:
Corn is for food not our gas tanks .

Price of beef is at an all time high ,now the price of pork is up too 

Fortunately the size of my lake makes owning this type of pontoon a bit unrealistic

There is no horsepower limit here , but with a lake only a mile long this would be a bit much

If I was living on a much larger lake I would be spending sooooooooooo much more on the pontoon

Bennington and Yamaha doing what they do best 

It's Only Money (LOL)

Our lake is only 260 ish acres. Horsepower knows no lake size!! With that said we'll rarely hit full throttle...

Back