Follow my pole barn project

It's getting there!

Tall building got trusses set today. Shorty got exterior walls.

It was 40* in northern Michigan today. The crew was working in shirtsleeves.

We are making progress. I never knew my builder had such pull with Mother Nature! Garage doors get installed starting next Wednesday. Cross your fingers.

Trusses in place. Check my gallery for evidence!

They are moving along there. Must be nice having a crew! I did mine by myself....including lifting and setting the trusses! A 6x6x16 treated post feels nice and light too when your lifting it to go into the post hole!

New pic from today has been posted in my gallery. The Bennie will fit in here with the top up. There is a 13' high overhead door on both ends, so I can drive right through!

Last edited by a moderator:
You  call this a pole barn?  To me, it's major construction.

Continue with the good work.  You're smart to have professionals doing the framework on such a tall and large structure. 

You're going to wonder how you ever did without the building.  If you didn't have all your stuff in it, you could always put a basketball goal inside and have something to do on long winter nights.

You're going to wonder how you ever did without the building.  If you didn't have all your stuff in it, you could always put a basketball goal inside and have something to do on long winter nights.
Funny you should mention this. My son-in-law grew up on a dairy farm. They converted one of their pole barns into basically an indoor gym. They played basketball, floor hockey, dodgeball and other athletic activities in it. Because being a dairy farmer's kid required very regular and rigorous chores, this barn kept them home, motivated and away from trouble.

Pretty smart thinking on behalf of his parents, I think!

More progress to report. Today the soffits got boxed in. Tomorrow, steel goes on the roof and Monday, the garage door installers show up.

The biggest decision this week has been to decide if I want the roof steel fastened at the ridge of the steel or in the flat area. Everyone else has a strong opinion, anyone else want to weigh in?

One new pic in my gallery today. At least the sun was shining!

I would go ridge. That way water will run away from the screw instead of constantly against it. Higher probability of leaks in the flat areas. And if you eventually add heat ice dams will be in the lower areas before the ridges. Those rubber gaskets aren't 100% they are looking great by the way.

Mine are all screwed on the flats, good screws with good seals you should not have any problems. To me screws on the ridges can loosen quicker and lose the seal over time being that the steel is not screwed tight to the wood like when screwed on the flats.  

Just my 2 cents.

Fabral, which I sell, recommends the screws be installed on the flats. They recommend nails on the ridges. Don't ask me why, being its very easy to drive a nail too hard and bend the ridge portion.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it!!! :)

New pic in my gallery. One building roofed. Second will be roofed tomorrow. Door installers come tomorrow, too!

Thanks for all the encouragement.

BTW, we decided to screw into the flats. Mfg. instructions; anything else voids the warranty.

More pics tomorrow!

finishedcarport_zpsd767429a.jpg
Clearly I don't know crap about metal roofs!! I went with shingles and installed them myself (don't worry I didn't high nail or over/under drive them. No racked installation. Proper staggering occurred). It was a good excuse to buy a new air compressor! Plus our City requires any outbuilding to match the residence as closely as possible (roof pitch, colors etc.). When the inspector came out for my final he did ask if I was a builder...(not bad for a desk jockey)   

See my gallery for today's update. All 3 overhead doors are installed. You can't see the one on the right because it's raised. Tomorrow they install the operators.

Both roofs are on, including the ridge caps.

Some serious progress was made today's temps got to the high 30's and the crew was working in shirtsleeves for the sunny part of the day.

Getting there pal

Thanks for the encouragement. I'm pretty sure Mother Nature has done all she can do to help. Winter weather is on the way. While I like the work my builder does, there are several frustrating things.

- He's a pushover when it comes to making his employees come to work. They pretty much tell him when they want to work.

- He tells me things, like when stuff will be done, that don't end up to be true. I got in a bit of a pinch with the garage door installers when roofs were "promised" by the end of the day last Friday and weren't completed until Monday. I know shit comes up, but it's my credibility that suffers.

- He tries to please too many people at one time. I suppose that (along with all these complaints) is just part of the business.

OK, venting over. No new pics today because while the doors are installed, I had them leave them in the open position so that they are out of the way and, hopefully, protected from bumps by ladders, etc.

BTW, if you had ever told me I would spend $7500 for 3 overhead doors, I would have called you crazy. I remember when that kind of money would buy the whole damn barn. Oh well, as in pontoon boats, quality costs money, right?

Here's what it looks like when you try to squeeze a 16' x 13' door into a 18' x 14' end wall. It was tight. The installers had to perform some "field modification" on the rails in order to squeeze that baby in.

Good news? My truck, boat and trailer can drive through with the top up! That was my goal.

image_zps5b23d3ec.jpg

Looking good!! Won't be too long till the Benni has a new bed. :)

Siding started going on today.....

image_zpsd7c8673c.jpg

Are they done yet?????

Back