Follow my pole barn project

goldnrod24

Reaction score
I wanted a 30' x 40' building with 14' high walls. Zoning board said, "Too big, too tall." So we settled upon 2 buildings, side by side. An 18' x 32' x 12' high walled building and an 18' x 36' x 14' high walled building for Bennie storage. The 14' tall building will have 13' high doors on both ends so I can pull through without fiddling with the top.

You can follow my adventure here.

Pics here: http://club.benningtonmarine.com/index.php?/gallery/album/707-pole-building-project/

Last edited by a moderator:
I  enjoy construction thanks for sharing :)

I wish I could have a building like that to store Benny in.

Of course heating the building may get pricey !

I would like to be able to feel comfortable while doing things in the winter months.

I will be watching your progress and day dreaming of duplicating it here.

Good Luck 

TB5.jpg

Pitts, no heat in either new building. I may liner the shorter building, but these two are next to an existing 24' x 24' conventional garage that I plan to insulate, line and heat. Much cheaper.

I posted a pic of the color scheme I am planning for my barns. The example is of a church! LOL, a pole barn church.... pure hillbilly!

Michigan State University Spartan colors. Go Green - Go White!!!

Hopefully, I'll soon be posting signs of the erection. Oh my, that came out wrong..... BWAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHA!

I know the speed at which an errection occurs is pretty important. If it takes too long your wife may begin to question your ability to put your big boat in the...barn.

Might not have a "boat" left if you use the word barn for anything other than a structure used for storing vehicles...

Getting closer to erection time!!! Wood arrived today! LOL. See my gallery, can't paste a pic (or a link) in here for some odd reason.

Looks like you've got some straight wood there but remember, if the erection lasts longer than 4 hours, please notify your doctor immediately.

Getting closer to erection time!!! Wood arrived today! LOL. See my gallery, can't paste a pic (or a link) in here for some odd reason.
Thank God. Who wants to see that???

Here are a few pictures of our new 36X56 Wicks pole building. I'll add some more to the gallery tomorrow. It was quite a build. Had a lot of setbacks with the building crew, the cement truck backed over an imbankment and almost took out our swimming pool. We had to have 27 loads of ag lime brought in, instead of the estimated 8 by the architect. Electrical was cut 3 times after being laid out, located and ground marked very clearly. A lot more than I can tell you about. My advice, stay on the site as much as possible with your blueprints in hand. End he end, I am very happy with it, it turned out great! But the building process was very stressful.

Hope yours goes good!

I also buit a new shed this year. Did a time lapes video on it, it was posted in Post Up Your Videos post.

Well anyway, the inspector came out and did the final on it and the very next day the assessor showed up.

Didnt take them long to make sure that they up the value of my property to get more on the property taxes.

Randy hope your project goes good for you.  Don't really understand why they make the rules they do somtimes. you would have thought one bigger building would have not been a big deal, being that they let you build 2 that takes up almost the same space. 

Yes, that makes no sense at all!

Here are some pics I took today. The completed buildings exterior. I have a lot of landscaping to do yet. And still deciding to build a separate shop where the windows are, as I originally planned, or just insulate and heat the whole building. I'm thinking the latter right now.

I had to install an external garage door antenna, today, to increase the range to open the door. Before I had to be 5 feet in front of the building. Now I can open it from 150 feet. I can open it from inside the house which is about 100 feet away. WIFI is great with the doors open. Once closed. No signal at all, even with 2 repeaters. Going to run a separate CAT 5 cable TV and internet to the building, when we put in the water and natural gas next spring. Its like a faraday cage with all the steel. No signal in or out without a door open.

Since the new antenna works good, I better go do the other 2 overheads.

Yes, clrd, it's wacky since for the single building I proposed 1200 sq. ft. and I was approved for 1224 with both building. I doubt anyone did the math. I call it my "little revenge."

New picture today. I have to keep up with you other knuckleheads.

Got wood, erection in process..... BOOM! "Stand back, I don't know how big this thing gets!" ;-)

EZBryan, you seem pretty savvy but wanted to post a few options.  First if you do run a cable [use underground rated] as it is probably the least expensive method I would suggest Cat 6 and be sure to use Building Entrance terminals [We use Circa http://www.circaent.com/telecom/products/category/259--1-66-block-cat5e-series - for safety and protection of your equipment .  Ultimately because a lightning strike travels through the ground so well consider cabling using outdoor Fiber with a media converter. 

Before cabling consider upgrading your router.  I am a big fan of Engenius http://www.engeniustech.com/consumer/Directory/home-networking/routers_c71_m330/  they provide routers and range extenders, I think they are a great product and their tech staff will help design to suit your needs and environment. this may enable to forget cabling.

And Link geeks up my thread!!!!!! ;-)

Just kidding, Mark. Sound like good advice although I didn't understand a word!!!!

And Link geeks up my thread!!!!!! ;-)

Just kidding, Mark. Sound like good advice although I didn't understand a word!!!!
Nor did I.    :D

Thanks for the ideas, Link! Good advice. Better to do it once and be happy, than do it over and over, until its right.

Back