Frustrated with Bennington

Steve

Reaction score
Hi all. My new 2250GBR arrived today to replace my 2011 2275GCW that was crushed in a building collapse.

I ordered it in March.

Twin ellipticals w/ wave shield and lifting strakes

LED perimeter/cup/helm lighting

Electric Bimini

Wet Sounds

Dual Battery

Sea Grass

Elevated Helm

52" ski pylon

Extended Boarding Ladder

Privacy Chase

Black with Scatter Graphics LOOKS Amazing by the way

Yamaha DEC with Bennington gauges

Yamaha 150

Sea Star steering

Raised Lettering

Sea Legs

I think that is about it

We needed the Bimini moved aft so in the down position it's behind the 2 aft chairs. They had to do a cad drawing that took 2 weeks. I completely understand that given the time of year. Got the drawings and I approved them.

2 weeks later, I was informed that due to the dual battery set up the 52"ski pylon was not available. Ok a bit frustrated because the build site says it's recommended and it allowed for the selection of that option. They offered the tow bar that goes over the engine. That's fine and I asked for the chairs to be upgraded to the R. They agreed.

Got a build date of 5/23. That Monday before I was informed that the privacy chase was not available due to the dual battery set up and the R series chairs were not available unless I wanted to push the build date back. Ok getting POed now. I accepted it and added the grill as an exchange.

The 23rd comes and goes and no boat. Now the build date is the 30th. Ok they are very busy and running behind. Getting really POed but what can I do.

Boat arrives and my sales guy calls and said that the Yamaha DEC isn't on the boat and Bennington says it's only available on the 200hp and above. Now I have no speedo as that was included with the DEC.

Now, I understand delays. I ordered it when they are slammed and I requested some changes. I even understand the whole dual battery thing. But the fact they didn't even call my dealer to inform them of the DEC is unacceptable for a quality company. I have been with this dealer for 8 years and they have always treated me superb. I have purchased a number of things from them.

These items were available on the build site at the time and they are on the build sheet. Approved by me, my dealer and Bennington. The boat was a week late and not exactly what I ordered. Now bennington has changed the web site and the DEC isn't available on the 150.

Any suggestions? Are my expectations to high or am I unreasonable?

Sorry for the grammar as I typed this on my phone.

All I can say is WOW! Reading this makes me think of Toyota. Great reputation for reliability and build. Demand significantly outpaces supply and in an effort to keep up, quality suffers.

On the bright side, it appears your requests have made some changes to the build site. I built an R yesterday and noticed the DEC is not available on anything less than 200hp and the 52" ski pole not available with dual port batteries.

I have no doubt Bennington will make your gauge cluster right for you, this is part of their growing pains. Keep us posted.

You are not being unreasonable. You placed your order and it should be built as you ordered and paid for .Any issues as far as changes should have been communicated to your dealer and then to you for approval .

Last edited by a moderator:
The Bennington name has been synonymous with quality.  That is one of the reasons most of us pay more when compared to other boat manufacturers, and I don't think I'm just speaking for myself.  However, mistakes do happen.  I don't think I was just lucky when my boat was delivered as ordered.  I have no doubt Bennington will make it right for you. 

I totally agree with sunnyside360. Bennington will make it right no question. I too had a issue and Bennington make it right and then some. When my boat came in I was so surprised that it was as ordered, perfect. I requested three changes during the build and only one of three things I requested could not be done. But Bennington worked it out for me. They are an outstanding company to work with, Good luck I'm sure everything will work out for you. 

Hmmm. Maybe I'm missing something.  How can a 52" Ski plyon be limited by dual batteries?  Is it because of storage of the pylon?  Are both batteries located on 1 side?  I have dual battereis and 1 is under starboard rear lounger and 1 under port lounger.  Is the 46" pylon not offered as well?  Or is only a ski bar available?

I'm sure as others have said, Bennington will make things right like the gauge setup, etc.  They are outstanding company with remarkable customer service and the dealer network that is top notch

Good luck. Im sure it will work out in your favor!!!

I ordered the 2250GBR it comes with 1 battery that is housed in a small compartment with the wash down nozzle. In order to accommodate 2 batteries they had to put the aft bench seat that is standard on the 2550GBR. Because of that it cut the stern deck in half not leaving enough room for the ski pylon.

Spoke with my dealer today. Yamaha said the DEC was never available for engines under 200hp and that Bennington made a mistake offering it. Since the speedo was included with the DEC I didn't get the GPS speedo option. I am waiting on Bennington to decide how they want to add a speedo.

I am expecting an answer tomorrow afternoon and will post the outcome. I love the boat and hope everything works as expected.

Sounds like a good compromise would be to kick you up to a 200.

Rockie, lets be reasonable; the cost difference between the 150 and the 200 is over $4000.  Yes the dealer should have known that the DEC is not available on the 150 [there are a lot of options but they still should have known].  I went to build a boat and when I checked the Yamaha 150VMax and then tried to check the DEC, I got a pop up noting that it required the 200 and on up

You have to start somewhere. If I'm negotiating, I'm starting in my favor.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry my last post was meant to answer a PM.  I apparently can't figure this message board out.  

Rockie69 and Link, when I did the build with the dealer back in March the DEC was an available option with the 150.  This is a mistake on Bennington's part.  I am a not happy because this build went back and forth between the dealer, myself and Bennington numerous times.  I felt Bennington should have called and said that was not available and maybe put the optional $281 speedo on at cost or free for the confusion on their part.  What they did was build the boat and ship it without a speedo or explanation.  My sales guy noticed when they cut the plastic off Monday.  The 200 would be nice but for them to kick in but I really only want a speedo.  

Bennington was accommodating with the changes I requested.  I ordered the Wet Sounds and the build site recommends a dual battery but they don't offer it as an option.  My dealer made the request with them and they made it happen.  The week of the build I was notified I would have to give up the privacy chaise and 52" ski pylon.

These are some of the most expensive boats in the industry and for good reason, quality.  I am expecting excellent quality and communication from the manufacturer.  We have been waiting 2 days now for an answer from Bennington.  I want a way to tell me my speed (and not an app on my phone).  I have read stories on here about Bennington doing unheard-of things to make people happy.  Thankfully my dealer is stepping up and doing what it takes to get me on the lake.  I will let everyone know what ultimately happens.

Just to be clear, the boat is beautiful and the quality is exactly what I expected.  I haven't taken delivery yet but I don't expect any issues.  In the end my complaint is lack of timely communication and build site with inaccurate information.  

I think your expectations are very reasonable. Yes, they should have notified you/dealer right away. That being said, I never look at my speedometer (didn't want to say speedo and have Carl wanting pics in the shower or something!! Hehe, sorry) I only ever look at my fish finder to see my speed, it's just easier for an exact number. Also, if I remember correctly, weren't the standard gauges speed read from the gps in the fish finder? I'm sure I read that somewhere.

I ordered the Garmin Echo 100 with the boat.  It isn't speed capable.  Upgrading the fish finder is one of the options my dealer is offering witch is fine with me.  It would be easier to change that instead of the whole instrument cluster.

I won't be using the word speedo again.  Shower, man, speedo are three words that don't go together.

I have the Garmin chartplotter which I love alone but as a nice plus it shows the speed

Is that one of the ones Bennington offers? I am trying to be reasonable and limit it to one of the better models Bennington offers. I know how great Garmin is on the aviation side and hoping for the same on the marine. I hope it's plug and play with the exception of a possible antenna.

I want to minnimize the cost and down time as I expect them to come pick my boat up and install it at no cost to me. The best lakes GPS bennington offers is available on line for $670. If their cost is $450, I don't think I am being unreasonable and I told them anytime before old man winter hits. I would prefer at the 20 hr service mark that way they can recoup a little money as my boat is 125 miles away from them.

I think Bennington offers the 4xx model which is a 4" screen.  I wanted the larger screen, the 5" so I went to my dealer and showed him the 531S and asked if I bought it would he install it as I wanted it flush mounted on the helm.  He matched the online price but I think I paid about $400 for the install

Damn! I would have installed for $200.00.         B)

Cwag, I could have brought the boat to you and would have given you all winter to do it.  What is the spare bedroom situation in case I want to do something else over next winter? :rolleyes:

We could make room, the kids are moving out as I type.     :D

I show up this morning to take official delivery. Supposed to happen yesterday but things ran a bit late on the Sea Legs install and the reinstall of the under decking shield.

Start by trying the electric Bimini. Worked great and then onto the wet sounds stereo. Turned it on and I thought I wasted the money on the upgrade. I remembered someone on here saying the sub levels needed adjusting. I told the mechanic and he decided to unscrew the sub and slide it out to adjust it. He was able to remove the 2 stripped out screws holding the sub to the deck. Looked like there are holes for 6 screws. He slides it out and the sub is crack ontop in the front and back where they screwed the amp to the top of the sub. There was another crack on the side.

This is absolutely unacceptable and Bennington should be ashamed of themselves. Now I am wondering what else on this boat is done half assed.

This is my second Bennington. 3 months ago I wouldn't even consider another manufacturer now I don't know if I should consider Bennington.

I want to love this boat but am having a hard time after this.

On a side note can you trailer with the cover that comes with the boat?

Thanks all for reading another rant of mine.

Back