getting new toons logs upgrade questions

I can't remember who, but someone here added an express tube.... search for that thread.
Me, me, me. The original thread is no longer around for a variety of reasons, but I sure am happy with the final results.

Search "express tube."

Okay, you're talking now.  The Express Tube is an easy addition, especially if you have removed the two outside tubes.  You will also want to put aluminum sheets between the toons, but that doesn't have to be OEM provided.

My Express Tube runs just as fast as the SPS for far less money.  And you don't have to screw with your engine pod fuel system and engine.  If you decide to repower, it's easily done with your existing holes and hardware on the pod.

By the way, the bow high ride of the Express has a lot of advantages... Quick to plane, supports more passengers up front, better angle for beaching, easier loading on a trailer, takes on wakes and waves better since it rides higher, more fun for the kids to jump off, better anchoring, easier to drink and cook on, easier to put on shark hide, easier to winch, uses less gas, dries towels and life vests quicker, easier to put the mooring cover on and it does your taxes for you. Okay maybe I exaggerated on a few.

Since it does your taxes ,does it guarantee a  refund ?  :lol:

By the way, the bow high ride of the Express has a lot of advantages... Quick to plane, supports more passengers up front, better angle for beaching, easier loading on a trailer, takes on wakes and waves better since it rides higher, more fun for the kids to jump off, better anchoring, easier to drink and cook on, easier to put on shark hide, easier to winch, uses less gas, dries towels and life vests quicker, easier to put the mooring cover on and it does your taxes for you. Okay maybe I exaggerated on a few.

Sounds like express tube is the way to go. Thoughts on adding strakes to the insides of the outer tubes?

I wonder about adding the foils to the inside of the outer toons plus rounded keels similar to SPS. then adding the express toon with strakes and rounded keels. That is probably what I would shoot for. Then you essentially have an sps setup minus a couple of feet of center toon. Curious on if that would throw off the performance.

Sounds like express tube is the way to go. Thoughts on adding strakes to the insides of the outer tubes?
Andy's got an interesting idea. Not seen that done before. Might allow the boat to bank some in turns. This may be your best bet if you needs tighter turn radius. I think what he's saying is order the outer toons of an ESP or SPS setup, and the center toon from the Express setup. A very intriguing combination. I'm guessing Bennington has tested it though. This would definitely be a conversation you'd want to have with a factory engineer. Dealer likely won't know anything on that idea.However if you want more speed, you might order the new outer toons with strakes on the inside AND outside. You will get more speed, lower planing speed, more fuel efficient, etc.

All of the above would only be worthwhile if you go with the 150. Anything smaller and probably not worth the money.

Last edited by a moderator:
My mistake 

I'm looking for a little more speed and maneuverability. I would like to have friends on the boat and be able to pull tubers. That's what most visitors and their kids want. I have a Mastercraft for tournament water skiing and high speed runs. However it's only rated for 7. The pontoon is unbeatable for space and entertaining. The basic log set up is terrible for anything but basic touring since it displaces water.

For speed, all you need is to get the front of the toons out of the water.  Two toons on the Express Tube will easily get your nose up and the boat runniing fast. 

Everyone with a 15 pitch Reliance on a F150 Yamaha reports right at 40 mph on top end.  I don't know what a 90 hp will run.

Everyone with a 15 pitch Reliance on a F150 Yamaha reports right at 40 mph on top end.  I don't know what a 90 hp will run.
A 115 with this setup runs 28. But it is a far different boat than with 2 tubes.

I got 35 with express and full strakes and 115.

My two tooned 2275RL ran 28 early part of that first summer. Now even with acid washed toons at the beginning of summer I do 25 and down to 24 by mid summer and has dropped as low as 23 by the end of summer. Thanks to a lot of help from GoldenRod, my express tube & underdeck wave shield will be put on prior to hitting water this year and although speed was not my goal [carrying maximum loads without total bogging down and smooth rides] I will report on my WOT

Could he add elipticals w/ strakes? That would give the top speed and some boyancy.

Right after the Express Tube arrived the other dealer who knew I was looking to make a change called and told me he had a set of used elliptical tubes that would fit my boat.  It would have $1000 more than what I paid for Express  [which also includes underdeck].  Might have preferred elliptical but I wouldn't stiff the other dealer and didn't want the hassle of trying to sell the express tube

Right after the Express Tube arrived the other dealer who knew I was looking to make a change called and told me he had a set of used elliptical tubes that would fit my boat.  It would have $1000 more than what I paid for Express  [which also includes underdeck].  Might have preferred elliptical but I wouldn't stiff the other dealer and didn't want the hassle of trying to sell the express tube

Man, if it wasn't such a pain, I'd think about buying those ellipticals, but the rental truck and drive would kill me. ......  :angry:

Then again, how much is he trying to get for a "used" set of ellipticals? You can PM me the price ......

Just float and ride them down the coast and through the water ways like they did with logs in the old days.

Hello all.  Thanks for the input.  I decided to sell my current boat and just buy a new one.  With all of the work I would need to do, the max upgrade I could do with my motor was for 130 hp.  Too much money and effort for too many compromises.

Sold the boat and bought a new 2350 RCL with a 250 mercury. Just working bugs out of the new boat.

Back