Got a really UGLY curve ball thrown at me today

If the problem was the incorrect anodes wouldn't all of your pontoons have the same damage/pinholes???

Yes.  That's what leads me to believe it was a combination of the two - mostly that joker's power cord.  As Matt said, the current will take the path of least resistance, so the port pontoon being closest to the other boat would start to get eaten up first.  I'm guessing the current was slight, but there was enough there to start eating away at the pontoon. 

I wonder why city codes do not require something similar this for public / private docks? https://www.shockalert.com/

I'm pretty sure they do.  I don't think this guy did it intentionally, I think he just did a crappy job of running his dock power line to his boat.  Wind or boat movement pulled on it just enough for gravity to do the rest and dropped it in the water.  I never saw the guy, so I suspect he may have live elsewhere and just left the boat here in the marina.

I agree!  I would think the marina itself would want it.

Last edited by a moderator:
This has me thinking about the dock here at OC. I have a rental that people bring their boats too. And we have neighbors with powered lifts up and down the channel. I just found this web site that has caught my attention,http://www.safewatersystemsinc.com/. I'm thinking about installing on of these on our system. Never want to regret anything when it involves the kids playing in our channel behind the houses. 

Corrosion is also a  concern!  :angry:

Well, it's as ugly as it gets.  All 3 pontoons are shot.  Can't even pressure test them as they'll blow like swiss cheese.  Dealer might be able to find a used set of pontoons, but at this point I'm probably throwing good money after bad. 

Shopping mode...

Thanks all of you for the mental support.  Going to need it for the next few days/weeks.

Well, it's as ugly as it gets.  All 3 pontoons are shot.  Can't even pressure test them as they'll blow like swiss cheese.  Dealer might be able to find a used set of pontoons, but at this point I'm probably throwing good money after bad. 

Shopping mode...

Thanks all of you for the mental support.  Going to need it for the next few days/weeks.

Wow, that is rock bottom for sure, feel for ya man. Not sure what I'd do, maybe leave it by the side of the road with a flat tire, to see if someone "steals" it.

So sorry to hear that man,  good luck with the new one.  Better to find that now then when you're out in it.

Sorry to hear tcpip, first case of forced PADS.  Good luck with the shopping

If the problem was the incorrect anodes wouldn't all of your pontoons have the same damage/pinholes???

Yep.  Turns out to be the case.

Shopping mode...

I don't know. Get a price on new ones from Bennington from dealer. Even at $7-10 grand, still a hell of a lot cheaper than a new toon. 

Wow, that is rock bottom for sure, feel for ya man. Not sure what I'd do, maybe leave it by the side of the road with a flat tire, to see if someone "steals" it.

The insurance guy will pretend he didn't see that. 

I may have a couple of options here.  Trade-in is out of the question due to the damage of the pontoons.  I'd get killed on it. Mid-teens - at best.

Dealer suggested that I submit an insurance claim for negligence against the marina/boat that had the power cord in the water, as it's clear that was the cause of the damage.  The estimate of damage is $15k.

He also has a used set of SPS pontoons that would cost me about $7k out the door in the event that the insurance claim is denied.

So if he can collect from the other party it's 15k in damage but he'll do it for $7 if not?

I might have missed this but was the stray current caused by a business or private party? Either should have had a liability policy in place that would cover third party damages. Issue will be tracking the insurer down and filing a claim. There are also different policy types, occurrence vs claims made. If this is at a marina they "should" have certificates of insurance on file for those who keep their boats/businesses there.

Good luck. That just sucks.

If it's covered by insurance I get new pontoons - no cost to me.  If it's not covered by insurance I get used pontoons - $7k cost to me.

The stray current was caused by the boat owner.  He had a window air conditioner running 24/7 in his sailboat that was in the slip next to me.  The power cord to that A/C unit was draped over his boat railing very loosely, dipping down into the water. 

The insurance guy will pretend he didn't see that. 

Of course I would never do such a thing.

I sure hope the insurance is a viable option for you. If not, maybe Bennington would source some tubes at a reduced cost given the situation. Perhaps they have "blems".

Of course I would never do such a thing.

I sure hope the insurance is a viable option for you. If not, maybe Bennington would source some tubes at a reduced cost given the situation. Perhaps they have "blems".

TomS is close to the plant. Maybe he can grab a couple like that Johnny Cash song "one piece at a time"

TomS is close to the plant. Maybe he can grab a couple like that Johnny Cash song "one piece at a time"

The general pubilc will pretend they did not see that... :)

The general pubilc will pretend they did not see that... :)

LOL... I remember the M.A.S.H. episode where Radar was shipping a Jeep home.... one piece at a time!

I drove by there just yesterday afternoon on the Indiana Toll Road. The lot was jammed with boats. They surely wouldn't miss 2 or 3 tubes would they? I'm going to Ft. Myers on Wednesday anyway.

Back