GPS Upgrade

Jack you might check your wire at the transducer. Mine was unhooked right above the rear of the pontoon.The wire is stuck up in the cross member and plugs into an extension wire right there. You might be able to change the transducer and plug into the wire and not have to run any new wire.
That is Exactly what I asked Garmin and he told me no .

I will still go over to West Marine and look at one ,then once I can get to the boat  at the dealer I'll check that connection also .

Thanks 

I just have t figure out if I can fish the cable @ the sand bar 
If I was closer we could just throw it up on my trailer!

Except we cant to get it right now .

I have been contemplating getting a trailer .

If I was closer we could just throw it up on my trailer!

Last edited by a moderator:
Just got back from West Marine to look at the 53 DV .

There is 20 ft of cable attached to the transducer .

Is 20 ft long enough ? I know they  sell extension cables .

Could I have one now ?

Wont know until I can take a look .

Also after looking at the unit I will have to cut the dash 

You have about 2ft to get to the top of the toon, then about 8' to get to the starboard side, that leaves you 10 ft to get to the helm and up to the dash....Probably not long enough unless you snake it under the deck on an angle if that is possible. I would think installing behind the toon skirt would be the easiest though. and totally doable at your shop...I mean sand bar.

Andy that is exactly what I was thinking .

So there "could" be an extension there already .

My other idea is ( :wub: ) undo the cable from the unit @ the helm ,tie some paracord to it and try to pull it through and back again .

Lastly ,pay the dealer to do it before it hits the water this spring . :p

Is the cable fastened along the way or just laying in there loose? using the old one as a one way fish tape might not work if it is fastened.

On my Q there is an extension cable. The cord off the Transducer is only about 4 ft. long and plugs into the extension cable above the rear toon. It goes into a hole above the toon and you can pull it out to get to the connection.

Jack, on our boat it is a 1-piece cable and there's plenty to work with.

Just got back from the dealer ,There is no way the 7 inch will fit .

5 inch will .

It was nice to see my old friend on this rainy day in Michigan :D   

Yeah thought that might be a tad large.  As I've stated previously, I really like the 53dv.  And that's coming from someone that had very expensive Furuno fish finders, radar and chart plotters.  It's a great little unit for the price.

Yeah thought that might be a tad large.  As I've stated previously, I really like the 53dv.  And that's coming from someone that had very expensive Furuno fish finders, radar and chart plotters.  It's a great little unit for the price.
AND ,it just got a $100 cheaper with the rebate  :D

http://garmin.blogs....ng-rebate.html

AND ,it just got a $100 cheaper with the rebate  :D

http://garmin.blogs....ng-rebate.html
Nice.  I saw that rebate and even talked with Garmin about it since Bennington put the unit in.  They said they would honor it but for the life of me I couldn't locate the required number on the unit for the rebate form.

Nice.  I saw that rebate and even talked with Garmin about it since Bennington put the unit in.  They said they would honor it but for the life of me I couldn't locate the required number on the unit for the rebate form.
I was just re reading the rebate form it also states a purchase of the" U.S. LakeVü HD Ultra "

Did you have to purchase the chip ?

Their site states over 17,000 pre loaded lakes .

What would be the purpose of the extra chip ?

Yes it's already loaded with the major lakes.  The chips typically have more detail on the topo maps.  I had a chip on my SW Furuno system for the Pacific Ocean in the San Diego area.  It just showed you more underwater detail associated with changing depths and wrecks.  Obviously, there's nothing to change on the fish finder as it displays real time bottom and structure.  The preloaded info on Lake Havasu where I mostly boat is quite detailed already.  Most of the landmarks are there and I even learned the names of some new ones.  The ones that aren't on there are easy to remedy by just saving a waypoint and renaming it.  I doubt you'll need to purchase the chip unless your a hardcore fisherman or diver.

I just double checked the Garmin site ,it states that the 

U.S. LakeVü™ HD Ultra is pre loaded .Guess I am good to go .

Going to West Marine on Thursday .

OK cool.  I didn't know it was already on there.  Like it said, it's a very detailed little unit.

Back