GPS Upgrade

Jack M

Reaction score
I want to upgrade my GPS before the season starts .

Currently ,my boat is in indoor storage @ the dealer .We tried Saturday but, could not get to it

,and the dealer cannot maneuver any others around it because of the snow .At least one has to come out first .

Currently I have a Garmin ,either the 300 or 301 .Which ever one was offered that year .

Question is,can any one with a similar  R get me the measurements of the space on the helm where the GPS is .

Thanks 

Jack, I can't give you the measurements as my boat is an hour away and I am sure it is also buried but I can tell you that when I upgraded to the Garmin 531s I wanted the unit flush mounted where the echo100 was.  The dealer did so but it is such a tight fit that the cover of the GPS does not snap on tight and always falls off.  I believe that may be because the dealer did not center it properly but it does say that it is a tight fit. 

I might add that I like the look of those that have the GPS in the center of their of the helm rather than the side like mine but with the 3 gauge layout that my helm has makes that impossible

Thanks ,Mark .I'll remember about the cover .

I just emailed Garmin to ask if there are any units compatible with my current cable .

If I have to pull a new cable I may be waiting until summer and have to change it at the Sand Bar to get underneath .

At least I know a 531 will fit ,just make sure it is centered .

I should have mentioned that as I knew it was discontinued.  I mentioned it to let you know a 5" screen will fit, 5" is the minimum screen for there tired eyes [my TV is 70" and I wouldn't mind bigger].  The dimensions of the 531s are 5.9" x 6.4" x 2.9". 

​I see a 531s on Amazon for $799 which is ridiculous as I think I paid $549.  Looks like it has been replaced with the 52-55 dv .echoMAP  I see the CHIRP 54dv is $499, a quick call to Garmin will answer the transducer compatability

I wonder if they have one with a Blue Tooth transducer ? ,No need to run the cable .

I upgraded when I ordered the boat and got the Garmin 53dv.  Great little unit that fits in the upper right cubby.  Check you transducer cable where it enters the tube.  You'll have to pull it out some.  Mine has a connection plug so you might get away with just changing the transducer itself (if it's necessary) without running a new cable back to the helm.  If you can do that, you'll have to verify that the amount of pins on the cable match the new Garmin unit you're looking at.  I originally had an issue with my Garmin unit.  The chartplotter worked fine but the FF wasn't working at all.  After some time under the helm, I found the culprit.  First, the transducer wasn't plugged in properly and two the cable itself had a huge slice in it.  Like someone got it with a razor blade or something.  I've got it working now but the dealer is going to change out the cable when it goes in for it's service next month.  I looked at the transducer cable routing and it looks pretty simple to do.  So, even if you should have to change out the transducer cable itself it shouldn't be that difficult.

Last edited by a moderator:
I currently have the 300 ,it is a 4 pin cable .

I thought mine was a 6 pin but according to the Garmin web site it says it's a 4 pin transducer cable.

Thanks .

Early this morning I sent an email to Garmin about cable compatible units ,still waiting for a reply .

Think I'll take Marks advise and give them a call .

I imagine your dash is the same as mine.  The 53 size fits in there just about perfect and the cover fits fine as well.  And, I don't have any issues seeing the screen even in direct sunlight with it split.  I'm very impressed with that little unit.

Did you flush mount or leave it flat like the factory install ?

Been on hold now ( with Garmin)  almost a half hour 

If compatible in size and transducer, I would highly recommend the Garmin Echo DV53 or 54.

Did you flush mount or leave it flat like the factory install ?

Been on hold now ( with Garmin)  almost a half hour 
I just left it flat.  I think the dealer actually installs it.  The cutout was probably done at the factory.

Mine is raised some "I think" there are just holes or a hole for for the cable & power 

Just got off the phone with Garmin .

I can use my current cable and transducer with the 53 DV ,However ,the DV function will not work,

unless I change the transducer which is hard wired .I was hoping for a pigtail type setup .

No way to get around it without changing the cable 

Mine is raised some "I think" there are just holes or a hole for for the cable & power 
Mine is also raised just like that picture of the echo100, the hull will still need to be cut and I am glad I had the dealer do it

Jack you might check your wire at the transducer. Mine was unhooked right above the rear of the pontoon.The wire is stuck up in the cross member and plugs into an extension wire right there. You might be able to change the transducer and plug into the wire and not have to run any new wire.

Believe it or not it is a 300c ,same size a couple more features and color .

When I talked to Garmin they told me the 53 DV could be mounted the same way as the 300 ,drill a few mounting holes through the helm  .

I just have t figure out if I can fish the cable @ the sand bar 

Back