Help???... New 2015 2075GL top speed 20mph

Fordie

Reaction score
I am new to the pontoon world. I recently purchased a 2075GL with a 115 Yamaha. My prop is 13p. Having issues over 4k rpms. Prop will spoil up to 5900 rpms, but gain speed over 20mph. Anyone having the same issues? Sometimes rpms will just sky rocket when power is applied over 4k and the boat seems to lose traction, for lack of a better word.

I have a 2013 2075 GL with a 50 Merc. I get 19 on the GPS. two people full tank and other essentials, If your over revving drop the motor angle or it maybe the motor is set too high on the transom. If your getting only 20 I'm glad I didn't go for the bigger bucks. We don't tow so had no need for a larger motor

The losing traction comment makes me think you have the engine trimmed to high, or the engine was mounted to high. Check your trim first.

Steve

Last edited by a moderator:
Will do guys thanks. We tried a 17p yesterday at the marina. Was fine with no load. 24 mph and 5900 rpms. They full boat with a tube, 14mph, oh yeah dogged out bad. Any opinions on pitch?

Update: engine set at the lowest position, trimmed all the way down. Changed a few props today.

3 adults 2 kids Bimini up.

13.75x15p= 5200 rpms 22 mph

14x13p=. 5900 rpms 20 mph but has a lot more guts. Problem is anything over 4800 does not increase speed, just sits at 20mph

Tried the trim all over, all way down still 5900, and I cannot trim up past about 5/8 at WOT.

How are you measuring speed?

Sounds like you are not planing. You have a slow hull...

Last edited by a moderator:
Trim doesn't help most two toon boats that much.  I used to run my engine's anticavitation plate parallel to the bottom of my toons.  That's where I'd have it when testing props.

When you're having the engine spin up over 4000 rpms, it's prop ventilation.  What brand of propellers are you using?  They're not all created equal, even though the prices of aluminum props are pretty much the same. 

Since your boat's new, it should be up to your selling dealer to get your speed optimized and the ventilation stopped.

There are a bunch of 115 hp two toon owners that can chime in here with their prop sizes.

Hey Fordie

How or why did you put a 115 on your boat. It's only rated for 90 max. Bigger isn't always best. 115 maybe much too much for a 20'er  I hope your not looking for trouble overpowering. There may not be a marriage for your setup. Check the dealer. you maybe better off and save money as well dropping down to a 90. It could be no matter what you put on the transo you'll still only get 20-23.

The 17p was a Yamaha white prop, the 15p and 13p are quick silvers. The 2015 G20 is a 115 max horsepower, reason being its actually about 22 ft. The seating area is 20 ft. The dealer has been great and vow to get this fixed no cost to me, unless I go SS of course. I usually have a full boat and tubing, so I like the 13p best, just having that ventilation issue. Dealer has a SS Turbo in a 13p he said I could try before I buy. I read somewhere Yamaha owns Turbo props. My boats speedo is GPS based so my phone GPS Next to it is right on.

I just saw a good price on a solarus aluminum 4 blade I may want to try. Much cheaper than SS.

Update: 14x13p quicksilver prop, alone in boat, 1/2 tank fuel, light gear, and Bimini down: 26 mph at 5950 rpms. Trim at just lower than 3/4. I think I have maxed out.

I called Bennington and a customer service rep David told me they did not have numbers on my boat, but should expect 30-35. A 2275GL with a 115 hp Yamaha and 14p gyt SS prop did 27.5 mph at 5950 rpms. Am I beating a dead horse or should I keep trying diff props, maybe a SS?

I'm going to say what lots of folks on here are probably thinking, but no one is saying. 

If you want to do water sports (full boat and tubing) and the dealer knew this, the dealer may have sold you the wrong boat. Pulling a tube with any level of excitement, is a job for a tri-toon boat. That's not to say that two-toon boats don't pull tubes. They do. But it's not very exciting. And little kids turn into bigger kids and the definition of "exciting" changes rather quickly. Ask me how I know... A 2-toon boat with no lifting strakes is essentially a displacement hull boat. It has a max that you can't really push through. It sounds like your max is 20mph lightly loaded. And I smh at 30 - 35 with that setup. Really? Those are tritoon-with-strakes speeds.  

Problem for the future - Boats tend to last longer than kids stay little. 

There are conversions you can do and lots of information on this forum about adding the Express Tube to an existing 2-toon boat with great results.

I personally think owning a Bennington with a 115hp motor is the same as eating a poached egg. It's not raw. It's not cooked. It's just a mushy thing somewhere in the middle. We hear stories on here way to often of dealers making promises that a 115 just can't deliver. Lots of us here have scratched our heads at great length trying to figure out why dealers keep pushing that poached egg on their customers.

Hey!  I love poached eggs!  3 tubes and a 150 is the way to go. period!

Here is a speed test by one of our members

FYRFIGHTR's BOAT: 

{New Prop Update}

ORIGINAL TEST:

• Boat Model --------- 2275GCW
  • Model Year --------- 2011
  • Tube Option -------- Twin Elliptical Tubes w/ Strakes
  • Power Option ----- Mercury 115hp 4-Stroke
  • Prop Specs ---------- 14x13p Mercury Aluminum w/ Extra Cup
  • Performance ------ 28.4mph @ 6000rpm on GPS
Extra Notes: Full tank of fuel, approx 700lbs of passengers on board. Trim almost 1/2 way on gauge. Could feel toons come out of water and "Dance" on top.

NEW TEST:: (w/ Mercury Spitfire 4 blade Aluminum 13.8x13)

31.1mph @ 6200rpm on GPS w/ same load as prior test.

Extra Notes: Adding 2 more adults and putting the top up only drops speed 2 mph. Old prop with 2 extra passengers would drop speed over 8 mph and rpms would drop 800

You can find it here,

http://club.benningtonmarine.com/index.php?/topic/755-list-your-specs-here/

Now, that is with twin elipticals, which will make a HUGE difference in my opinion, So I think 35 with a 115 is pretty untouchable with your current setup. 

I believe Jeff said a true comment, If the dealer knew you wanted a full boat and watersports, they sold you the wrong boat. Now it is also possible that you were like me when I bought my first boat and there was no way I was spending $50K on a boat (Canadian) ,but ultimately that and then some is what I ended up with! I just didn't know how I was going to be using the boat, and whether or not I was going to like it. So I skimped out. but not the THIRD time!! hehe

Hahaha, you guys are right! Trust me the left over 2013 Crownline 21SS, was calling my name. This is a starter boat and we are using it more than I ever thought we would. Maybe by the 2nd or 3rd boat I will get it right. The $50k pontoon boat was not even a thought, hell I didn't think a pontoon was over 30k when I started looking. I guess growing up with fish and ski bass boats has me Jaded. Truthfully, everyone else has fun, it's just me being annoyed I can't dump a tuber. The boat is beautiful and really do love it. Thanks for all the input.

Ps: I love eggs Benedict, does that make me a bad person.

Wait...I can add a third pontoon? How much does that cost? I wish I knew that when I bought it.

These damn dealers over estimate speed and make you believe you can pull a Skier with a twin tube 2075GL with a 115. When in actuality none of their numbers are real life, kinda frustrating.

Our neighbor pulled adult skiers on combos at times with a 25' 2 tube Bennington G series and a Merc 75. It can be done, but it's just not much fun for the driver or the skier.

Boat dealer also sells Obrien skis, tubes etc. he told me about these vortex skis specific for slower or pontoon boats. I assume it would take a really good skier to get up. That is not me, hahaha.

Back