Horsepower

JSM

Reaction score
Anyone have a two tube 25" no performance upgrades with a 150HP? 2275 GCW. If so, what kind of performance are you getting?

I don't, but is your boat rated for a 150?

Without looking up the specs for your boat, i would guess you where only rated for a 115?

We have seen this happen before, you are experiencing the early stages of PADS, and should seek help immedietly!

I was thinking the same thing. I don't think a 2 tube at 22' is rated for a 150 unless it's elipticals. and I also think he's come down with PADS.

Last edited by a moderator:
We usually have meetings on Mondays and Thursdays. Figure you need it on Monday because of the weekend excitement, and Thursdays to try to tide you through the weekend! 

Spec sheet for 2275GCW with 2-25" shows 150HP max.

I am starting a PADS Phobia class beginning next week  :p

Do you need guest speakers to talk about life after PAD?

I do have a case of PADS, no doubt. I love my boat and everywhere we go people want to look at it and compliment it. it actually cruises nicely and has been averaging 1 gph all summer whether wot or just easing along. I would however, like to have some more top end and be able to cruise more effortlessly in the 15 mph range. Thus the thought of trading up in horsepower came to mind. When I saw it was rated for the 150 hp I thought I would ask if anyone had this combination. Thank you for all the replies and maybe our group PADS session could be done on Skype.

Since you are rated for the 150, and your profile says you have a 70, i would imagine doubling your HP should give you a substantial performance increase!

Look through the props and power section to see if anyone has a similar setup.

Here is where i get troubled, i have a 20' with 2 25" tubes, it is an S series, but, mine is rated at 70hp max. Someone tell me how 2' longer tubes justifies twice the hp's? Am i missing something?

I burn 3 GPH at 15 mph and 2600 rpm with a 150, and I have Express and strakes.... You will burn more going 15 mph with just two toons...

Since you are rated for the 150, and your profile says you have a 70, i would imagine doubling your HP should give you a substantial performance increase!

Look through the props and power section to see if anyone has a similar setup.

Here is where i get troubled, i have a 20' with 2 25" tubes, it is an S series, but, mine is rated at 70hp max. Someone tell me how 2' longer tubes justifies twice the hp's? Am i missing something?
My guess is that your boat would be perfectly capable and safe to support much more HP than a 70HP but being a few years older Bennington was very conservative in stating maximum HP limits. Now with the trend towards more power they are upping the limits while still staying within the safe zone

the GCW I had before this QCL was a twin 25" without any performance upgrades and a 150.  it DID have a waveshield.  Man that thing was fast!  I clocked around 36mph...  Now i'm lucky if I can get to 30 with the heavy QCL on ellipticals and no wave shield on a 150.

Center tube gives more buoyancy but adds weight and wetted surface (more drag).

Unless heavily loaded, a 2 tube boat is no slower than a 3 tube.

This is why the twin ellipticals is their fastest hull.

the GCW I had before this QCL was a twin 25" without any performance upgrades and a 150.  it DID have a waveshield.  Man that thing was fast!  I clocked around 36mph...  Now i'm lucky if I can get to 30 with the heavy QCL on ellipticals and no wave shield on a 150.
It's awful that a Q doesn't come with a waveshield as standard equipment.

It is curious. The 23 series is rated for a 250 and the 25 series can handle a 350
It probably has more to do with the extra weight in rear being offset by the extra weight in length. Could you imagine a 20 with a 350 hanging off the back. It would look like that video Carl posted in the hobby thread with the boat standing on its butt.

Center tube gives more buoyancy but adds weight and wetted surface (more drag).

Unless heavily loaded, a 2 tube boat is no slower than a 3 tube.

This is why the twin ellipticals is their fastest hull.
Beg to differ.  The main factor for speed is all about planing vs displacement.  It's not even about 2 tubes vs 3 tubes, although 3 tubes generally are going to plane up quicker.  Generally.  The ellipticals are fast (with strakes) since they have more planing surface than a round tube does.  Any planing hull will take off once it planes up vs. a displacement hull.  A displacement hull's speed is limited by it's length (odd but true) and no matter how much HP you throw at it, it won't go appreciably faster until you get it up on plane.  So, that's the primary factor (planing vs displacement).  Then come the weight/buoyancy/wetted surface factors, which I agree ARE factors, but much less so than planing vs displacement.  You want a hull to plane up first, then the other factors come into play and are much more "granular" as far as impacts on speed.

That's where the strakes shine.  They square off the bottom of the round tube, and help the boat plane up quickly.  I don't think this has been discussed here much, but in my mind strakes are the biggest bang for the buck over HP.  HP is expensive.  Strakes are cheap.  Strakes let the horses out of the gate, so to speak, so you want to spend your first dollars there, then on HP.

Unless you already have the boat and are stuck with it, or married to it, you would want to get strakes before buying a 150.  I assume the original poster is keeping his 2 x 25 tubes, and just looking at HP as the only upgrade option.  Although you can have strakes welded to the toons, which is probably still worth it as an "aftermarket upgrade", this is going to be the cheapest when done at the factory when the boat is built. 

Back to JSM, the original poster, upgrading from a 70 to a 150 with 2 x 25 toons and no strakes is as good of a reason to catch PADS as any...  Which is probably why you are asking in the first place!

Maybe he is wanting us to all post he needs a new boat so he can show his wife and say "see, we just need a new boat"

Back