How Much Speed & Performance Would Express Performance Package Add To 2015 2275 GCW Build?

Tooncrazy

Reaction score
How much performance and speed would the Express Performance Package add to a 2015 2275 GCW build with a Yamaha F115LB? Dealer tells me it would be "in high 20's " without the EPP.

Thank you!

Last edited by a moderator:
Read through some of the threads on this and you will find a ton of good info (especially Goldrod's thread). I would STRONGLY recommend adding the Express Tube to your setup. Not just for speed but for overall feel and handling. I tried to add one myself, but I was having trouble getting one shipped so I ended up buying a whole new boat with ESP instead. 

Top speed (GPS) on my boat prior was 28 (top up but stowed). My top speed with Express Tube? 28.

I didn't gain any speed, but the ride (now on top of the water as opposed to plowing through the water) is fantastic.

I highly recommend it.

Damn it Goldenrod.  Lie to us.  At least tell us you could 29 with the Express Tube

Top speed (GPS) on my boat prior was 28 (top up but stowed). My top speed with Express Tube? 28.

I didn't gain any speed, but the ride (now on top of the water as opposed to plowing through the water) is fantastic.

I highly recommend it.
If the EPP is included in the original build the description says you get lifting stakes on all 3 tubes rather than just the EPP tube. Perhaps this would make a difference in the speed results? Did you have the Wave Shield prior to the EPP tube addition?  

If the EPP is included in the original build the description says you get lifting stakes on all 3 tubes rather than just the EPP tube. Perhaps this would make a difference in the speed results? Did you have the Wave Shield prior to the EPP tube addition?
I'm not able to address your strake question. I would be sure to have that verified in writing by the dealer.I did not have any shielding prior. I also have the full undershield as opposed to the "wave tamer." Again, be sure you and the dealer are using the same terminology regarding undershields. There IS a difference.

I'm not able to address your strake question. I would be sure to have that verified in writing by the dealer.

I did not have any shielding prior. I also have the full undershield as opposed to the "wave tamer." Again, be sure you and the dealer are using the same terminology regarding undershields. There IS a difference.
Here is the 2015 2275 GCW build description for the EPP:

"Express Performance Package The Express Tube Package offers increased bow lift and moderately increased speed and maneuverability as an affordable alternative to a full-fledged performance package. Package includes a modified center tube, lifting strakes, V-Keels on all three tubes and modified waveshield".

The diagram attached to the above description shows lifting strakes on all three tubes, I can't get the diagram to attach to this post. You can see it by going to the 2275 GCW build a boat.

The dealer is telling me now that the EPP creates excessive bow lift with a Yamaha F115LA. I understand that the new F115LB that I'm getting has a little more HP than the LA, don't know if that will make any difference though.

I do know from my experience with performance and racing hulls in another lifetime that different props can certainly make a difference with bow lift. Have no idea on how that my translate to pontoon boats.  

A lot of folks have mentioned that EPP sits a little bow-high. Seems well worth it for the benefits you'd get though. 

A lot of folks have mentioned that EPP sits a little bow-high. Seems well worth it for the benefits you'd get though. 
That was my experience in test driving an EPP, but it only squats a bit while at rest (with a Merc 150), not underway where it rode nice and level, and was very comfortable. It's certainly a big improvement over most any 2 toon boat, for a relatively modest investment compared to SPS and ESP.

That was my experience in test driving an EPP, but it only squats a bit while at rest (with a Merc 150), not underway where it rode nice and level, and was very comfortable. It's certainly a big improvement over most any 2 toon boat, for a relatively modest investment compared to SPS and ESP.
As one who is running an express tube, I have no more to add to Tom's comments. I agree 100%.

Here is the 2015 2275 GCW build description for the EPP:

"Express Performance Package The Express Tube Package offers increased bow lift and moderately increased speed and maneuverability as an affordable alternative to a full-fledged performance package. Package includes a modified center tube, lifting strakes, V-Keels on all three tubes and modified waveshield".

The diagram attached to the above description shows lifting strakes on all three tubes, I can't get the diagram to attach to this post. You can see it by going to the 2275 GCW build a boat.
Pretty sure strakes only come on the center tube standard with the Express. If you want full (6) strakes, that is an upgrade. MAYBE strakes come with EPP on the inside of the outer tubes, but definately not on the outside without ordering them extra.

The V keels are on all three. That's what the description is talking about when it says 3.

Pretty sure strakes only come on the center tube standard with the Express. If you want full (6) strakes, that is an upgrade. MAYBE strakes come with EPP on the inside of the outer tubes, but definately not on the outside without ordering them extra.

The V keels are on all three. That's what the description is talking about when it says 3.
Exactly.  Just order the SPS.  Not a fan of the EPP. 

I have the Express Tubes and they run exactly the same top speed as the SPS.  And they're substantially cheaper.  The key to efficiency and speed is having strakes that'll get your nosecones out of the water to turn the boat into a planing hull--rather than having a boat plowing through the water.

The Express Tube boats' sterns don't set quite as high at a dead rest, but that's no real issue.  And the in pod fuel tank holds 21 gallons.  That's just fine as I have no desire or cash flow to carry around 52 gallons.  And my trailer was cheaper as no center toon supports are required on a boat with Express Tubes.

All in all, Express Tubes do a great job for the budget concerned buyer. 

SPS wasn't an option when we bought our 2012. I would likely have taken the step to the SPS though due to better turning, and I don't care much for the spray off the center toon. Gets every inch of the motor wet, which causes spots that are tough to get off. Maybe SPS does this too, but I think it's due to the shorter center tube. Andy would know...

I have the Express Tubes and they run exactly the same top speed as the SPS.  And they're substantially cheaper.  The key to efficiency and speed is having strakes that'll get your nosecones out of the water to turn the boat into a planing hull--rather than having a boat plowing through the water.

The Express Tube boats' sterns don't set quite as high at a dead rest, but that's no real issue.  And the in pod fuel tank holds 21 gallons.  That's just fine as I have no desire or cash flow to carry around 52 gallons.  And my trailer was cheaper as no center toon supports are required on a boat with Express Tubes.

All in all, Express Tubes do a great job for the budget concerned buyer. 
Do you have lifting strakes on all your tubes or just the EPP one? What model boat do you have?

I'm conflicted, tomorrow is decision day for me...to add EPP to my 2275 GCW build with a Yamaha F115 LB or not?

What's the price difference?

My EPP turns flat. Andy has video of his boat banking with the SPS.

What's the price difference?

My EPP turns flat. Andy has video of his boat banking with the SPS.
Are you happy with your EPP, what are the pluses and minuses?

I'm more than happy with the EPP. With kids, the performance adder is a must.

I would go SPS if I could do it over though.

I'm more than happy with the EPP. With kids, the performance adder is a must.

I would go SPS if I could do it over though.
Would you go with SPS with a Yamaha F115?

Back