How to Tiedown your Benny when Trailering

Danny, where in the Keys do you go on your fishing trips?

We are heading to Marathon. Fishing success is in question...but if acquisitions is an indicator of future success my chances have improved greatly. :-O

I finally got to take a few shots of how I secure the bow of my boat to the trailer.
I make a loop with the safety chain.

F9DFAF13-E743-4BF6-98C9-96912C12396F.jpeg

Then pick a link in the chain for my ratchet strap, and hook the other end to the winch/ladder tower on the trailer.

15905F3F-6A18-4E1C-99BD-69CCC8D9C488.jpeg

Then hook the safety chain into the winch hook, and I'm good to go. I have plenty of eyes for hooks like this.

A265F97C-17BD-461E-ADEF-819F4CDA79A3.jpeg

I fold up excess strap into the Velcro strap and nothing is left blowing in the wind.

ED657F2F-CD49-44CD-8E97-3D8ADB099789.jpeg

Last edited:
Do you run with the motor in that position? In my opinion, no need. plenty of room to run with it vertical. Seems to me there is more stress on the pod with the motor that high.

Just my thoughts.

My neighbors father has a Berkshire with a Merc. 115 and he was tilting all the way up, damn near horizontal.

The main (and only) reason I know of to have the motor trimmed up any at all during trailering is if you have concern of the skeg dragging when going through a low spot (like entering or exiting a roadway).
My dealer has a bit of an incline into his parking lot and even though these toons sit pretty high on the trailer, there are gouges in the pavement that almost make you sick to wonder the outcome to the boats that made them.
Just may want to keep that in mind as you trailer as it is amazing how just an average dip can eat up what looks like a lot of clearance.

So today for the first time we trailered the Benny behing our motorhome. Quickly realized that I must tiedown the front and rear. So I’m needing your suggestions. I leave Friday for the Keys (300 miles). Your suggestions appreciated.

Here’s pics of the front and back straps.

View attachment 21907 View attachment 21908
Off topic.... I think our toons came from the same dealership, lol!

Off topic.... I think our toons came from the same dealership, lol!

Gary’s Boating Center, Billy Kahler is the owner. :)

I finally got to take a few shots of how I secure the bow of my boat to the trailer.
I make a loop with the safety chain.

Nicely done! Looks like you have a Magic Tilt trailer??

Yes, Danny, I do have the MagicTilt. That's what I had with my last Benny, too. I like them so far.

On the bow, I have several tie downs. Installed with the Mid-America trailer ladder is a lower loop. Once the trailer is loaded, I drop the strap down to the loop and back up to the center toon. This now provides downward pressure.

20180422_182159.jpg

20180422_182237.jpg

Last edited:
Then the port and starboard toons are each strapped with a ratchet strap. The trailer has built in rings for the lower hook of the strap, which you can see below the ratchet.

20180422_182101.jpg

Last edited:
And finally, just for overkill, and so I will never have any regrets, I loop a ratchet strap around the center toon down to the center frame (green strap)

20180422_182208.jpg

Trailers are made to flex, and boats are made to flex. (Actually, the largest ships on the ocean are built to flex.) My thinking is that if I connect the trailer firmly to the boat, they can flex together.
What I absolutely do not want is for the boat to bounce slightly up off the trailer, even a quarter inch, and then drop back down onto it. That will destroy the trailer over time because the welds will start to crack.

Last edited:
I had one trip back from Norris where I was off the bow stops maybe a 1/4" and had the winch strap down through the lower loop, the bounce action wore through the strap on that loop. I stopped for gas north of Cincy and found a two piece strap, not good. I also strap at all four corners, glad I did on that trip. I am going to order a couple of those Reese ratchets. I have the same style spare mount also.

I trailer a lot and the back looks like bulldogs. You need to use the eyelets at the front and back of the outside toons! Other than what you have in front, I've also seen some peeps (using the front eyelets) strap to the opposite front side of trailer (making an X w/the straps). Also, check your tongue weight and load balance - you'll get less "bounce" if you set it up correctly. Good Luck!

I see your concern about the saltwater and the permanent ratchet at the rear. My first one just had the removable straps that are similar to the battery tie down straps in how the buckle worked. You can get something like this that still does that ratcheting action, but totally removable at launch
Screenshot_20180424-215105.png

Back